Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Handbill / flyer announcement: Community Resources Guide for Households Affected by Hurricane Sandy. Issued by PSE&G. Issued Hoboken, n.d., ca. Nov. 2, 2012.
Object Name Sheet, Instruction
Catalog Number 2012.052.0003
Collection Hoboken Hurricane Sandy Collection
Credit Museum Collections.
Scope & Content Handbill / flyer announcement: Community Resources Guide for Households Affected by Hurricane Sandy. Issued by PSE&G. Issued in Hoboken, no date, circa November 2, 2012. Two printed leaves, 8-1/2" x 11", 3 pp. Full text is in notes.

Public Service Gas & Electric was the public utility provider for Hoboken and distributed this guide (instruction sheets) throughout the city during the flooding from Hurricane Sandy. It was distributed concurrently with archives 2012.052.0002, Flood Tips for Customers.

Information provided by the United Way 211 service.

(While colloquially referred to as a hurricane, it technically was not one at the time it made landfall October 29th on New Jersey and New York; it was termed a hybrid storm - a combination of a tropical storm and nor'easter [northeaster]; popularly called " Frankenstorm ".)

Related Records Show Related Records...
Notes archives 2012.052.0003
We make things work for you.

Community Resources Guide for Households Affected by Hurricane Sandy

Immediate Assistance

American Red Cross

The Red Cross provides immediate emergency assistance to people affected by disaster, such as; shelter, food and water, health and mental health services to address basic human needs. To locate your local Red Cross Chapter, go to

Information and Referral

Call 2-1-1 by simply dialing 2-1-1 from any phone to learn about your local community resources or visit .org.

Disaster Mental Health Hotline

Crisis counselors will provide outreach and education services about coping with the emotional difficulties in the aftermath of emergencies such as these call the New Jersey MentalHealthCares' Disaster Mental Health Helpline (877) 294-HELP (4357) where experienced crisis counselors can be reached. A TTY line is available at (877) 294-4356. Translation services are available as well.


For complete information on all state social services and on-line applications please visit

Veterans Benefits 1-800-827-1000 TTY 1-800-829-4833 U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs Or online at

Help with Your PSE&G Bill

Programs are available to help our customers with their utility bills.

•The Universal Service Fund (USF) 1-800-510-3102

o Helps make low income customer bills more affordable with a $5 to $150 monthly credit. USF uses the same application as LIHEAP.

•NJ SHARES 1 -866-NJSHARES (657-4273)

o Helps moderate income customers not eligible for low income programs with up to $1,000 toward their PSE&G bill.

•NJ Lifeline 1-800-792-9745

o Helps income eligible seniors and disabled adults with an annual utility credit of $225.

•TRUE GRANT 1 -855-465-8783

o Helps customers not eligible for low income programs with up to $1,500 toward their PSE&G bill.

•Salvation Army Red Shield 1-888-302-6100

Helps military personnel and their families with utility bills.

•Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) 1-800-510-3102

o Helps with winter heating and medically necessary cooling. Program from October 1st to April 30th.

Visit and refer customers to or (en espanol) for more information.

Information provided by the United Way 211 service. Visit for the latest updates.

We make things work for you.

NJ Department of Vital Statistics-609-292-4087

Can replace marriage, birth, and death certificates.
Mail Address:
New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services Bureau of Vital Statistics and Registration
P.O. Box 360
Trenton, NJ 08625-0360

NJ Drivers License or ID

Must meet NJ Documentation requirements. Visit download forms for new registration or driver's license.

New or Replacement Social Security Card

For information about changing mailing addresses, obtaining a new card, direct deposit, or locating the nearest Social Security office, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) from 7 a.m. - 7 p.m./ Monday through Friday or go online at

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

Storm victims who already receive SSI and SSDI should contact the Social Security Administration directly at 1-800-772-1213 to learn how checks may be reissued, cards replaced or to report a change in address.

Preserving Wet Documents

To preserve family treasures, review this informational link at the National Archives

Change of Address

A change of address form is available online at or at any U.S. Postal Service location. Please be sure when you find permanent housing that your address is current and that FEMA has also been notified if you are expecting assistance.

Information provided by the United Way 211 service. Visit for the latest updates.

We make things work for you.

NJ Consumers Affairs 1-800-242-5846.

If you believe you have been the victim of a fraud, or if you want to find out how to avoid fraud when making purchases and paying for services, contact the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs by telephone at (973) 504-6200 or (800) 242-5846 (toll free, New Jersey only); or e-mail: ; or by mail at 124 Halsey Street, Newark, New Jersey 07102.

Legal Services 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529)

Legal Services of New Jersey can assist with civil legal services for low-income people including, housing, family, consumer, public entitlements, education, employment, and health care access. Please visit

Your Rights as a Renter

Rent Abatement and Security Deposits

If you are a tenant and you have been displaced as a result of the storm, you may be entitled to a return of part of the rent you paid if you are unable to live in your home during that period of time. You also may not have to pay your rent for the months after that if you are not able to go back into your apartment. Finally, if you are able to return to your apartment, but it is not completely habitable, you may not have to pay all the rent. To learn more visit:


Your displacement due to this natural disaster, may also entitle you to have your security deposit returned quickly. A landlord must return your security deposit within five business days if:

•The displacement is cause by fire, flood, condemnation or evacuation; and

•An authorized public official posts the premises with a notice prohibiting occupancy, or

•A building inspector has certified within 48 hours that displacement is expected to continue longer than seven days and has so notified the owner in writing.

To learn more visit: http://www.nj211.orq/imaqes/Flood/ST%20securitv%202010.pdf

National Flood Insurance Program

(Customer Service) 1-800-427-4661 (Existing Policies) 1-800-638-6620

Insurance Complaints and Assistance

New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance Information 1-609-292-5360 Complaints 1-609-292-5316 To learn more go to

Information provided by the United Way 211 service. Visit www.nj211 .org for the latest updates.


Date 2012
Year Range from 2012
Year Range to 2012
Search Terms Hurricane Sandy
Public Service Gas & Electric
United Way
Caption pg 1 of 3
Imagefile 176\20120520003.TIF
Classification Buildings
Communications & Public Utilities
Domestic Life
Government & Politics