Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Reference: History of Saint Ann's Church & Feast of Saint Ann from parish website, as of 2010.
Object Name File, Document
Catalog Number 2010.002.0032
Collection Hoboken Churches & Religion Collection
Credit Museum Collections.
Scope & Content Reference record, digital only: History of Saint Ann's Church; History of St. Ann's Feast. (Church of Saint Ann, 7th and Jefferson Streets, 704 Jefferson St., Hoboken. Roman Catholic.)

Text below is as found 2010 at two URL on church site; one follows the other:
1. http://www.st-annchurch.com/default.asp?contentID=31
2. http://www.st-annchurch.com/default.asp?contentID=35
____________
1. http://www.st-annchurch.com/default.asp?contentID=31

THE HISTORY OF SAINT ANN'S PARISH (followed by the page on the THE HISTORY OF ST. ANN'S FEAST )

The religious and cultural life of Hoboken has run broad and full from the beginning. As the population grew and persons of varied nationalities came to reside in the area, so also grew the necessity of providing facilities to care for the spiritual needs of the people. Thus, the Most Reverend John J. O’Conner, Bishop of Newark, canonically erected our own beautiful Parish of Saint Ann, Hoboken, New Jersey, in May 1900, to administer to the spiritual needs of the growing Italian-speaking populace.

On November 1, 1925, at the Feast of All Saints, Monsignor Eugene Carroll officiated at the laying of the cornerstone of the new Church of Saint Ann. The new church was opened on December 12, 1927. The magnificence of the temple, remarkable for its pure Romanesque architecture, the monumental marble alter towering in the sanctuary, the elegance of the stained-glass windows and the flood of light effused throughout the interior of the church coupled with the majestic harmony of the organ music and the rhythmic concert of the bells ringing in the steeple, dazzled the senses and inspired one and all to praise and glorify God.

Father Mauro Landini arrived in 1947 and began a renovation to make the church more beautiful. Bronze chandeliers were installed, and a sector of the rectory’s garden was transformed into a square in the middle of which was placed an inspiring statue of our Lady of Fatima made in Italy of Carrara marble. In 1973, Father Richard Baranello had an air-conditioning system installed in the church providing a haven for worship and prayer untroubled by the weather. In recognition of the 85th Feast of Saint Ann, the Hoboken City Council at the request of Mayor Anthony Russo voted unanimously in 1995 to rename the section of Jefferson Street in front of the church and Friary as “Saint Ann’s Square.”
Following in the footsteps of their founder, Saint Francis of Assisi, the Capuchin Franciscan Friars are called to a life of dedication and service. The spirit of unity and community has been a hallmark of the Church of Saint Ann from its beginning as an Italian-American parish and continues to be so today. Liturgical functions, sacramental programs and the celebration of traditional feasts of the Universal Church and of the Parish of Saint Ann continue to provide the opportunity for spiritual growth and community.

A culmination point is reached each year with the celebration of the Feast of Good Saint Ann, patroness of our parish, when the parish spirit of community is renewed in a grand manner. The past and present are linked as former parishioners return home in large numbers to join with present parishioners in the expression of a deep and abiding faith in, and love of, God and devotion to Good Saint Ann—to join together in the celebration of our feast.

The Parish of Saint Ann is typical, and yet unique. It is a family parish, and it is a parish family where the parishioners combine their efforts to provide a wholesome spiritual, social and recreational climate in which each member of the family can develop to the fullest his spiritual and temporal potential. Saint Ann’s Parish has successfully met the challenges of the past and will likewise meet those of the future, where its greatest works lie. Saint Ann’s Church stands as a magnificent temple of worship reflecting the solidarity of a people with a deep and abiding love for their God and respect and loyalty for their church.
[end]
___________________
2; Text as found 2010 at: http://www.st-annchurch.com/default.asp?contentID=35

THE HISTORY OF ST. ANN'S FEAST

The history of the United States as a nation is barely over two hundred years. The United States in its two hundred year history has welcomed people from all over the world. Many of those who emigrated to this country brought with them cultural and religious traditions which predated the formation of the United States by hundreds of years.Among the people who came to the U.S. were men and women from a small town nestled in the peaks of the Apennine Mountains. They lived in the town of Monte San Giacomo (Province of Salerno, Italy) named after St. James the Apostle.This little hamlet, of less than three thousand people, saw many of its sons and daughters depart for the great land across the sea, where they hoped to make a better life for themselves and their families.

Despite the great distance that separated them from their homeland, the San Giacomese, most of whom settled in the Metropolitan area and principally Hoboken, maintained sentimental feelings for their place of origin. In the early days of their arrival in a new land with a strange language and customs, the immigrants encountered many difficulties and endured many social, economic, and political hardships. During this period, the newly arrived San Giacomese drew strength from their communal ties. They were bound together by the love of their homeland and Faith. The desire to maintain their traditional values and religious customs inspired them to establish the St. Ann's Society (Societa' S. Anna), an organization which would be a means of bringing the people even closer together and promote their ideals.

The members , who were not at all affluent, originally met in a basement at Fourth and Jefferson Streets. With the passage of time, the Society's membership increased and the members were able to purchase a storefront property at Seventh and Adams Streets. In the meantime (1900), St. Ann's Parish (Parrochia di S. Anna) had just been established. Priests said mass and held religious services in a small area of the storefront which had been converted into a chapel.

A short time later, the parish purchased a parcel of land at the corner of Seventh and Jefferson Streets, as the site for a future church and rectory. This dream was soon to be realized by the laying of the cornerstone on November 8, 1903 and finally with the completion of the church in 1906. The successful construction of the church inspired the Society to develop plans for a celebration or festa, that would serve to honor St. Ann, strengthen their devotion and preserve a cherished tradition.

A committee was formed to devise and execute the plans for the "festa". Meetings were held months in advance of the projected feast day. In order to raise money to finance the feast, members circulated from door to door not only in Hoboken but wherever their fellow townsmen and relatives were to be found. They traveled by train, subway and ferry to the far reaches of the metropolitan area and beyond. Their devotion to St. Ann and the desire to honor her spurred them on tirelessly to achieve their goal. The months of planning and hard work came to fruition with the inauguration of St. Ann's Feast, along with the feast of San Giacomo, in 1910. A two day festival was held July 25th in honor of San Giacomo and July 26th in honor of St. Ann.

Various Italian foods were featured as well as operatic music and singers for the public’s enjoyment. However, the culmination of these festivities was the procession of the statue of St. Ann and a large framed picture of San Giacomo through the streets of Hoboken on July 26th.

Immigrants from Monte San Giacomo and their families traveled great distances to Hoboken for this event. Society members adorned with shawls, sashes and ribbons with the image of St. Ann, processed through the streets as a band played both religious and traditional Italian songs. Thousands of men, women and children followed the procession through the cobble stone streets of Hoboken as a sign of devotion, to fulfill a vow or simply to preserve the traditions of their homeland. Those unable to walk waited patiently at their homes to view the statue of the saint. It was not uncommon for pregnant women, as a sacrificial symbol, to walk the entire procession in their bare feet. St. Ann is the patroness of pregnant women because although she was thought to have been sterile she conceived the Blessed Virgin very late in life. To this day, women who are pregnant and those wishing to become pregnant turn to her for help.

Although the founding fathers of the first St. Ann's Feast have passed on, their descendants continue to honor their memory and preserve their endeared traditions through the organization of the modern day festival and through their dedicated devotion to St. Ann.
[end]
Notes Church of Saint Ann, 7th and Jefferson Streets, 704 Jefferson St., Hoboken. Roman Catholic.

Text below is as found 2010 at two URL on church site; one follows the other:
1. http://www.st-annchurch.com/default.asp?contentID=31
2. http://www.st-annchurch.com/default.asp?contentID=35
____________________
1. Text as found 2010 at: http://www.st-annchurch.com/default.asp?contentID=31

THE HISTORY OF SAINT ANN'S PARISH (followed by a page on the THE HISTORY OF ST. ANN'S FEAST )

The religious and cultural life of Hoboken has run broad and full from the beginning. As the population grew and persons of varied nationalities came to reside in the area, so also grew the necessity of providing facilities to care for the spiritual needs of the people. Thus, the Most Reverend John J. O’Conner, Bishop of Newark, canonically erected our own beautiful Parish of Saint Ann, Hoboken, New Jersey, in May 1900, to administer to the spiritual needs of the growing Italian-speaking populace.

On November 1, 1925, at the Feast of All Saints, Monsignor Eugene Carroll officiated at the laying of the cornerstone of the new Church of Saint Ann. The new church was opened on December 12, 1927. The magnificence of the temple, remarkable for its pure Romanesque architecture, the monumental marble alter towering in the sanctuary, the elegance of the stained-glass windows and the flood of light effused throughout the interior of the church coupled with the majestic harmony of the organ music and the rhythmic concert of the bells ringing in the steeple, dazzled the senses and inspired one and all to praise and glorify God.

Father Mauro Landini arrived in 1947 and began a renovation to make the church more beautiful. Bronze chandeliers were installed, and a sector of the rectory’s garden was transformed into a square in the middle of which was placed an inspiring statue of our Lady of Fatima made in Italy of Carrara marble. In 1973, Father Richard Baranello had an air-conditioning system installed in the church providing a haven for worship and prayer untroubled by the weather. In recognition of the 85th Feast of Saint Ann, the Hoboken City Council at the request of Mayor Anthony Russo voted unanimously in 1995 to rename the section of Jefferson Street in front of the church and Friary as “Saint Ann’s Square.”
Following in the footsteps of their founder, Saint Francis of Assisi, the Capuchin Franciscan Friars are called to a life of dedication and service. The spirit of unity and community has been a hallmark of the Church of Saint Ann from its beginning as an Italian-American parish and continues to be so today. Liturgical functions, sacramental programs and the celebration of traditional feasts of the Universal Church and of the Parish of Saint Ann continue to provide the opportunity for spiritual growth and community.

A culmination point is reached each year with the celebration of the Feast of Good Saint Ann, patroness of our parish, when the parish spirit of community is renewed in a grand manner. The past and present are linked as former parishioners return home in large numbers to join with present parishioners in the expression of a deep and abiding faith in, and love of, God and devotion to Good Saint Ann—to join together in the celebration of our feast.

The Parish of Saint Ann is typical, and yet unique. It is a family parish, and it is a parish family where the parishioners combine their efforts to provide a wholesome spiritual, social and recreational climate in which each member of the family can develop to the fullest his spiritual and temporal potential. Saint Ann’s Parish has successfully met the challenges of the past and will likewise meet those of the future, where its greatest works lie. Saint Ann’s Church stands as a magnificent temple of worship reflecting the solidarity of a people with a deep and abiding love for their God and respect and loyalty for their church.
[end]
___________________
2. Text as found 2010 at: http://www.st-annchurch.com/default.asp?contentID=35

THE HISTORY OF ST. ANN'S FEAST

The history of the United States as a nation is barely over two hundred years. The United States in its two hundred year history has welcomed people from all over the world. Many of those who emigrated to this country brought with them cultural and religious traditions which predated the formation of the United States by hundreds of years.Among the people who came to the U.S. were men and women from a small town nestled in the peaks of the Apennine Mountains. They lived in the town of Monte San Giacomo (Province of Salerno, Italy) named after St. James the Apostle.This little hamlet, of less than three thousand people, saw many of its sons and daughters depart for the great land across the sea, where they hoped to make a better life for themselves and their families.

Despite the great distance that separated them from their homeland, the San Giacomese, most of whom settled in the Metropolitan area and principally Hoboken, maintained sentimental feelings for their place of origin. In the early days of their arrival in a new land with a strange language and customs, the immigrants encountered many difficulties and endured many social, economic, and political hardships. During this period, the newly arrived San Giacomese drew strength from their communal ties. They were bound together by the love of their homeland and Faith. The desire to maintain their traditional values and religious customs inspired them to establish the St. Ann's Society (Societa' S. Anna), an organization which would be a means of bringing the people even closer together and promote their ideals.

The members , who were not at all affluent, originally met in a basement at Fourth and Jefferson Streets. With the passage of time, the Society's membership increased and the members were able to purchase a storefront property at Seventh and Adams Streets. In the meantime (1900), St. Ann's Parish (Parrochia di S. Anna) had just been established. Priests said mass and held religious services in a small area of the storefront which had been converted into a chapel.

A short time later, the parish purchased a parcel of land at the corner of Seventh and Jefferson Streets, as the site for a future church and rectory. This dream was soon to be realized by the laying of the cornerstone on November 8, 1903 and finally with the completion of the church in 1906. The successful construction of the church inspired the Society to develop plans for a celebration or festa, that would serve to honor St. Ann, strengthen their devotion and preserve a cherished tradition.

A committee was formed to devise and execute the plans for the "festa". Meetings were held months in advance of the projected feast day. In order to raise money to finance the feast, members circulated from door to door not only in Hoboken but wherever their fellow townsmen and relatives were to be found. They traveled by train, subway and ferry to the far reaches of the metropolitan area and beyond. Their devotion to St. Ann and the desire to honor her spurred them on tirelessly to achieve their goal. The months of planning and hard work came to fruition with the inauguration of St. Ann's Feast, along with the feast of San Giacomo, in 1910. A two day festival was held July 25th in honor of San Giacomo and July 26th in honor of St. Ann.

Various Italian foods were featured as well as operatic music and singers for the public’s enjoyment. However, the culmination of these festivities was the procession of the statue of St. Ann and a large framed picture of San Giacomo through the streets of Hoboken on July 26th.

Immigrants from Monte San Giacomo and their families traveled great distances to Hoboken for this event. Society members adorned with shawls, sashes and ribbons with the image of St. Ann, processed through the streets as a band played both religious and traditional Italian songs. Thousands of men, women and children followed the procession through the cobble stone streets of Hoboken as a sign of devotion, to fulfill a vow or simply to preserve the traditions of their homeland. Those unable to walk waited patiently at their homes to view the statue of the saint. It was not uncommon for pregnant women, as a sacrificial symbol, to walk the entire procession in their bare feet. St. Ann is the patroness of pregnant women because although she was thought to have been sterile she conceived the Blessed Virgin very late in life. To this day, women who are pregnant and those wishing to become pregnant turn to her for help.

Although the founding fathers of the first St. Ann's Feast have passed on, their descendants continue to honor their memory and preserve their endeared traditions through the organization of the modern day festival and through their dedicated devotion to St. Ann.
[end]
Date 1900-2010
Year Range from 1900
Year Range to 2010
Search Terms Saint Ann's Church
704 Jefferson St.
Classification Church
Religion
Social & Personal Activity
Festivals
Parades & Pageants
Clergy
Buildings