|Title||Stock certificate: The New Jersey & New York Extension Railroad Co.. Issued to Henry W. de Forest for 1 share of capital stock;N.Y., May 19, 1896.|
|Object Name||Certificate, Stock|
|Collection||Hoboken Railroad Collection|
|Credit||Museum Collections. Gift of a Friend of the Museum.|
|Scope & Content||
Stock certificate: The New Jersey & New York Extension Railroad Company. Issued to Henry W. de Forest for one share of capital stock, value $100; New York, May 19, 1896. Serial No. 43; canceled and no. 68 "issued in lieu thereof."
Engraved certificate, 7-3/4" high x 11-1/2" wide; dated, but no officers' signatures; reverse has an April 13, 1893 power of attorney mounted on it
This railroad itself did not run directly to Hoboken (see notes), but a section of it was used by the Erie and later the Erie Lackawanna Railroad that did operate out of Hoboken; that section is still in use on a New Jersey Transit commuter rail line, the Pascack Valley Line, which does operate to and from Hoboken Terminal.
Printed by: Henry Siebert & Bro., Lith., 12 & 14 Warren St., N.Y.
Power of Attorney: form name: Irrevocable Power 114; printer: H.K Brewer. Successors to H. Anstice & Co., Stationers, 26 Nassau St., N.Y.
Text excerpted 2013 from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_and_New_York_Railroad
The New Jersey and New York Railroad (NJ&NY) was a railroad company that operated north from Rutherford, New Jersey, to Haverstraw, New York beginning in the mid-to-late 19th century. The line was originally chartered as the Hackensack and New York Railroad (H&NY) in 1856. The H&NY would eventually run from Rutherford to Hackensack, New Jersey. In 1866 under the leadership of David P. Patterson the company was rechartered as the Hackensack and New York Extension Railroad and it extended its line north of Hackensack. It later reorganized as the New Jersey and New York Railroad. The line reached the town of Haverstraw, New York by 1870, the village of West Haverstraw by 1873, and the village of Haverstraw by 1887. The NJ&NY was in turn leased for 99 years by the Erie Railroad in 1896. The NJ&NY continued to exist as an Erie subsidiary until the 1960 merger that created the Erie Lackawanna Railroad. In 1976 the Erie Lackawanna was merged with several other railroads to create Conrail. In 1983, after several years under operation by Conrail, operations of the Pascack Valley Line were transferred to New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. The segments of the two former railroad lines in New York: north of Spring Valley to Haverstraw and north of Nanuet to New City; are no longer in service.
de Forest, Henry W.
|Year Range from||1893|
|Year Range to||1896|
New Jersey & New York Extension Railroad Company
Business & Commerce