|Title||Trinity Parish, Hoboken, New Jersey. 1853-1903.|
|MULTIMEDIA LINKS||CLICK HERE to view the PDF; note - please be patient while file opens.|
|Collection||Hoboken Churches & Religion Collection|
|Credit||Museum Collections. Gift of a Friend of the Museum.|
|Scope & Content||
Trinity Parish, Hoboken, New Jersey. 1853-1903.
Maroon cloth, titled in gilt on front cover, 6-1/4" x 8-1/4"; pp. 44 plus frontis and 12 plates inserted (all tissue guards present except for last plate which does not appear to have had one.) PDF and rich text document on file. Full text is in notes.
Trinity Church at the northeast corner of Seventh and Washington Streets celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1903 with this publication commemorating it. It includes many details about the church history including a historical sketch (pp. 11-26) by the current rector James Clayton Mitchell; also present is a 1902 sermon by him that provides a good detail about the church that is not found in his history.
A large number of names are present for the roster of clergy and members of the corporation over the years, benefactors, choir, Sunday School, guilds. For some men in the corporation, a few have specific death dates.
Cover title: Trinity Parish, Hoboken, New Jersey, 1853-1903.
[frontispiece: Trinity in the Fields, 1856.]
Hoboken, New Jersey.
[end page ; page  blank]
The Corporation of Trinity Church
The Reverend JAMES CLAYTON MITCHELL, S. T. B.
EDWARD H. HORWOOD.
EDWIN A. S. LEWIS.
C. ALFRED BURHORN,
THOMAS B. STILLMAN, Ph. D.,
J. W. RUFUS BESSON
CHARLES M. CHAPIN,
CHARLES K. CANNON,
ROBERT L. STEVENS,
FRANCIS B. HERBERT,
C. ALFRED BURHORN.
J. W. RUFUS BESSON
Bishops of the Diocese:
The Rt. Rev. JOHN CROES, D. D.,
November 19th, 1815 - July 26th, 1832.
The Rt. Rev. GEORGE WASHINGTON DOANE, D D., LL. D.,
October 31st, 1832 - April 27th, 1859.
*The Rt. Rev. WILLIAM HENRY ODENHEIMER, D. D.,
October 13th, 1859 - August 14th, 1879.
The Rt. Rev. THOMAS ALFRED STARKEY, D. D.,
January 8th, 1880 - May 17th, 1903.
The Rev. EDWIN STEVENS LINES, D. D., Bishop-Elect.
Date of Consecration fixed for November 18th, 1903.
* The Diocese of New Jersey was divided in 1874, the Rt. Rev. Dr. Odenheimer becoming Bishop of what is now called the Diocese of Newark.
[end pg 3]
Members of the Corporation.
1853 - 1903.
The Reverend N. W. CAMP, D. D., Elected September 16th, 1853. Resigned August 29th, 1855.
Died November 10th, 1898.
The Reverend JOHN WILLIAM CLARK, Elected September 24th, 1855. Resigned May 7th, 1856. Died January 22nd, 1885.
The Reverend N. SAYRE HARRIS, Elected May 7th, 1856.
Resigned October 2nd, 1865. Died April 22nd, 1886.
The Reverend FREDERICK FITZ GERALD, Elected November 24th, 1865. Resigned August 31st, 1866. Died August 31st, 1866.
The Reverend REUBEN W. HOWES, JR., Elected November 12th, 1866. Resigned May 10th, 1874
The Reverend TELFAIR HODGSON, Elected April 13th, 1874. Resigned October 7th, 1878. Died September 11th, 1893.
The Reverend GEORGE CLARKE HOUGHTON, M. A., Elected Oct. 22nd, 1878. Resigned November 2nd, 1897.
The Reverend JAMES CLAYTON MITCHELL, S. T. B., Elected Nov. 1st, 1897.
Abraham L. Van Boskerck. September 16th, 1853.
James F. Melliss, April 19th, 1854.
Hazleton Walkley, June 20th, 1859.
James F. Melliss, April 11th, 1860.
(Died March 6th, 1863).
Peter Ritter, Jr., April 7th, 1863.
William Plumer, April 8th, 1872.
Charles K. Cannon, April 29th, 1889.
John Stevens, April 6th, 1891.
[end page 4]
[plate facing pg 4: The Rev. N.W. Camp, D.D., 1853-1855.]
Edward H. Horwood, May 9th, 1892.
C. Alfred Burhorn, April 18th, 1893.
Michael V. Banta, September 16th, 1853.
John L. Parker, April 5th, 1858.
Michael V. Banta, May 16th, 1859.
John M. Livingston, May 5th, 1873.
W. W. Wilcox, April 16th, 1894.
J. W. Rufus Besson, May 3rd, 1897.
John W. Van Boskerck, September 16th, 1853.
William P. Wright, April 17th, 1854.
Michael V. Banta, April 1st, 1872.
Henry Morton, Ph. D., LL. D., April 10th, 1887.
(Died May 9th, 1902).
Edward H. Horwood, April 13th, 1903.
William P. Wright, September 16th, 1853.
Elected Senior Warden.
Thomas H. Thomas, April 17th, 1854.
James F. Melliss, March 24th, 1856.
Alexander McWhorter, April 25th, 1859.
James F. Melliss, April 9th, 1860.
(Died March 6th, 1863).
Michael V. Banta, April 7th, 1863.
Elected Senior Warden.
Hon. F. B. Ogden, April rst, 1872.
William Plumer, April 25th, 1S86.
John Stevens, March 26th, 1894.
(Died January 21st, 1895).
C. Albert Stevens, April 15th, 1895.
(Died March 19th, 1901).
Edward H. Horwood, April 8th, 1901.
Elected Senior Warden.
Edwin A. S. Lewis, April 13th, 1903.
[end page 5]
NAME TERM OF SERVICE
Abraham L. Van BoskerckSeptember 16th, 1853. Died May 6th, 1855
James F. Melliss, Sept. 16th, 1853. Elected Junior Warden March 24th, 1856
Daniel WadsworthSeptember 16th, 1853 - April 5th, 1858
William HindhaughSeptember 16th, 1853 - April 17th, 1854
Hazleton WalkleySeptember 16th, 1853 - April 9th, i860
Lucas J. Van BoskerckSeptember 16th, 1853 - April 25th, 1859
Peter Ritter, JrSeptember 16th, 1853 - April 10th, 1871
Michael V. Banta, Sept. 16th, 1853. Elected Junior Warden April 7th, 1863
Gershom LockwoodApril 17th, 1854 - April 9th, 1855
Thomas J. PopeApril 17th, 1854 - June 15th, 1855
George C. ParkerApril 9th, 1855 - April 9th, 1860
Richard H. PhippsAugust 29th, 1855 - April 15th, 1857
Richard F. StevensAugust 29th, 1855 - August 26th, 1857
James A. Stevens, JrMarch 24th, 1856 - April 15th, 1857
Joseph HallApril 15th, 1857 - April 13th, 1868
George P. WilliamsApril 15th, 1857 - April 5th, 1858
John L. ParkerApril 5th, 1858 - April 1st, 1861
William Bancroft April 25th, 1859 - April 9th. 1860
J. H. SuckleyApril 25th, 1859. Died April 6th, 1865
A.L. Du Puget April 1st, 1861 - June 4th, 1861
George WilcoxsonApril 21st, 1862 - April 17th, 1865
J. L. McLaneApril 21st, 1862 - April 7th, 1863
E. HedgesApril 21st, 1862 - April 5th, 1874
William Plumer, April 21st, 1862. Elected Junior Warden April 25th, 1886
J. T. SeymourApril 7th, 1863 - April 13th, 1S68
W. W. Shippen April 7th, 1863-March 28th, 1864
Charles L. Bowers March 28th, 1864. Died April 9th, 1865
W. RobertsMarch 28th, 1864 - December 4th, 1865
B. FraserMarch 28th, 1864 - April 17th, 1865
F. B. Ogden April 17th, 1865. Elected Junior Warden April 1st, 1872
James G. K. Duer April 17th, 1865 - April 2nd, 1866
J. H. H. CushmanApril 17th, 1865 - April 13th, 1868
W. AtkinsApril 17th, 1865 - April 22nd, 1867
William H. Dilworth.April 2nd, 1866. Died February 11th, 1887
C.A. M. PresbyApril 2nd, 1866 - April 18th, 1870
Daniel WrightApril 22nd, 1867 - March 29th, 1869
Thomas SlaterApril 13th, 1868 - April 18th, 1870
J. C. ApplebyApril 13th, 1868 - April 18th, 1870
J. PalmerApril 13th, 1868 - April 10th, 1871
John E. McWhorterMarch 29th, 1869 - April 10th, 1887
James PopeApril 18th, 1870 - April 22nd, 1878
[end page 6]
NAMETERM OF SERVICE
Henry J. KingApril 18th, 1870 - April 14th, 1873.
Henry ButterfieldApril iSth, 1870 - April 1st, 1872.
John M. LivingstonApril 10th, 1871. Died November 7th, 1898.
Henry Morton April 10th, 1871. Elected Senior Warden April 10th, 1887.
H. P. TrufitApril 1st, 1872 - April 5th, 1874.
G. D. Saltonstall, M. D.,April 1st, 1872 - April 5th, 1874.
Peter Ritter (second time)April 14th, 1873 - March 28th, 1875.
Gustav OberbeckApril 5th, 1874 - April 17th, 1876.
August RocheApril 5th, 1874 - March 28th, 1875.
Charles MacDonaldApril 5th, 1874 - March 28th, 1875.
Henry J. King (second time)March 28th, 1875 - April 14th, 1879.
S. D. JohnsonMarch 28th, 1875 - April 17th, 1876.
Charles T. KroehMarch 28th, 1875 - April 10th, 1882.
Albert R. Leeds April 17th, 1876 - October 7th, 1879.
B.Franklin HartApril 17th, 1876 - April 6th, 1896.
William MoffattApril 22nd, 1878 - March 28th, 1891.
John Stevens, April 14th, 1879. Elected Junior Warden March 26th, 1894.
Edward P. C. LewisMarch 29th, 1880. Died September 2nd, 1892.
James G. K. Duer (second time)April 10th, 1882 - April 25th, 1886.
Frederick BeltzApril 26th, 1886 - April 7th, 1890.
John C. BessonApril 26th, 1886. Died December 15th, 1894.
J. Campbell MabenApril 11th, 1887 - April 15th, 1895.
Edward H. HorwoodApril 11th, 1887 - April 15th, 1895.
Charles K. CannonApril 11th, 1887 - March 28th, 1891.
Charles H. SellickApril 7th, 1890 - April 3rd, 1893.
C. Albert Stevens, March 28th, 1891. Elected Junior Warden April 15th, 1895.
Thomas Hughes March 28th, 1891 - April 6th, 1896.
Edwin A. S. Lewis, April 3rd, 1893. Elected Junior Warden April 13th, 1903.
C. Alfred Burhorn, April 3rd, 1893.
W. W. WilcoxMarch 26th, 1894 - April 19th, 1897.
Warne Smythe, April 15th, 1895.
Warren Banks April 15th, 1895 - April 6th, 1896.
J. Harry SheldonApril 15th, 1895 - April 11th, 1898.
Edwin A. S. BrownApril 15th, 1895 - April 13th, 1903.
Thomas B. Stillman, Ph. D., April 6th, 1896.
J. W. Rufus Besson, April 6th, 1896.
C. Irving Simon, M. DApril 6th, 1896 - May 7th, 1900.
Charles M. Chapin, April 19th, 1897.
Edward H. Horwood (second time), April 11th, 1898.
Elected Junior Warden April 8th, 1901.
Charles K. Cannon (second time), April 3rd, 1899.
[end page 7]
Robert L. Stevens, April 8th, 1901.
Frank Hodson, April 8th, 1901.
Francis B. Herbert, April 13th, 1903.
Palmer Campbell, April 13th, 1903.
Delegates to Diocesan Convention
1855 - 1903
1855 - Thos. H. Thomas, Wm. P. Wright, Samuel Thomas, Thomas Arthur, M. V. Banta.
1856 -Wm. P. Wright, James F. Melliss, J. W. Van Boskerck, H. Walkley, R. F. Stevens, F. Clossey, W. Harrison, L. J. Van Boskerck.
1857 - Wm. P. Wright, James F. Melliss, H. Walkley, James Stevenson, J. H. Lubenau.
1858 - Wm.P. Wright, J. Y. Armstrong, M. V. Banta, Alexander McWhorter, Joseph Hall, Wm. Bancroft.
1859 - Wm. P. Wright, James F. Melliss, Hoyt Sanford, P. M. Reynolds.
1860 -A. L. Du Puget, Wm. P. Wright, James F. Melliss.
1861 -Wm. P. Wright, W. W. Shippen, George Wilcoxson.
1862 -J.T. Seymour, E. W. Walgroove, James F. Melliss.
1863 -J. T. Seymour, H. Sanford, Wm. P. Wright.
1864 -J. T. Seymour, H. Sanford, Denning Duer.
1865 -J. T. Seymour, Leon Abbett, F. B. Ogden.
1866 -J. T. Seymour, Joseph Hall, Denning Duer.
1867 -J. T. Seymour, Joseph Hall, M. V. Banta.
1868 -F. B. Ogden, L. W. Elder, M. D., M. V. Banta.
1869 -F. B. Ogden, G. D. Saltonstall, M. D., M. V. Banta.
1870 -F. B. Ogden, J. C. Appleby, Peter Ritter, Jr.
1871 -F. B. Ogden, Henry Morton, M. V. Banta.
1872 -J. M. Livingston, Henry Morton, H. J. King.
1873 -C. Mac Donald, Henry Morton, H. J. King.
1874 -F. B. Ogden, J. M. Livingston, Charles K. Cannon.
1875 -F. B. Ogden, J. M. Livingston, Charles K. Cannon.
1876 -F. B. Ogden, J. M. Livingston, C. T. Kroeh.
1877 -F. B. Ogden, J. M. Livingston, C. T. Kroeh.
1878 - F. B. Ogden, J. M. Livingston, C. T. Kroeh.
1879 -F. B. Ogden, Frederick Beltz, C. T. Kroeh.
1880 -F. B. Ogden, John Stevens, C. T. Kroeh.
[end page 8]
[plate facing pg 8: The Rev. John Wm. Clark, 1855 - 1856.]
Delegates to Diocesan Convention - Continued.
1881 - F. B. Ogden, John Stevens, C. T. Kroeh.
1882 -F. B. Ogden, John Stevens, Edward P. C. Lewis.
1883 -F. B Ogden, John Stevens, Frederick Beltz.
1884 -F.B. Ogden, John Stevens, Frederick Beltz.
1885 -F.B. Ogden, John Stevens, J. M. Erskine.
1886 -John Stevens, J. M. Erskine, Edward H. Horwood.
1887 -John Stevens, Edward H. Horwood, Francis B. Herbert.
1888-EdwardH. Horwood, Albert R. Leeds, Francis B. Herbert.
1889 -Albert R. Leeds, Francis B. Herbert, C. H. Sellick.
1890 -Albert R. Leeds, Francis B. Herbert, Thomas Hughes.
1891 -Wm. Moffatt, Francis B. Herbert, C. Alfred Burhorn.
1892 -EdwardP. C. Lewis, Edward H. Horwood, Edwin A. S. Brown.
1893 -W.W. Wilcox, Edwin A. S. Lewis, Edwin A. S. Brown.
1894 -Edwin A. S. Lewis, Edwin A. S. Brown, J. Mercer Garnett.
1895 -Edwin A. S. Lewis, Edwin A. S. Brown, S. D. G. Johnston.
1896 -Edwin A. S. Lewis, Edwin A. S. Brown, P. P. Aspell.
1897 -Edwin A. S. Lewis, Edwin A. S. Brown, Henry S. Morton.
1898 -Edwin A. S. Lewis, Edwin A. S. Brown, Henry S. Morton.
Superintendents ot the Sunday School.
April 1854 - March 1863 : James F. Melliss, Vestryman.
March 1863 - June 1874 : William Plumer, Vestryman.
September 1874 - July 1876: John M. Livingston, Vestryman.
September 1876 - October 1879 : William Plumer, Vestryman.
October 1879 - November 1897 : Rev. George Clarke Houghton, Rector.
December 1897 - October 1898 : Rev. J. Clayton Mitchell, Rector.
October 1898 - June 1900 : Herbert H. H. Fox, Lay Reader.
September 1900 - June 1902 : Rufus H. Jones, Lay Reader.
September 1902 - January 1903 : Rev. J. Clayton Mitchell, Rector.
January 1903 -Rev. William J. Ehrhard, Curate.
[end page 9]
Organists and Choirmasters:
1859 - Mr. T. G. Wait.
1861 -Mr.C. Jerome Hopkins.
1862 -R.G. Paige.
1864 -MessrsH. White, E. Camps.
1866 -Mr.E. Camps,
1869 -Mr.A. E. Schock.
1870 -MessrsLilienthal, J. F. Finlayson, A. E. Schock.
1871 -Mr.George J. Tattam.
1875 -Miss Mary D. Livingston.
1876 -Mr.Gustav Albrecht.
1879 - Mr. J. T. Ackerman.
1882 - Mr. Bloomfield Goete.
1884 - Mr. Charles Eichorn.
1888 -Mr.S. W. Ball.
1891 - Messrs White, Hall, Fischer, W. Horatio Brown, Steele.
1893 - Mr. Christian B. Clark.
Ross Lang, November 29th, 1853.
Wm. N. Parslow, Sr., November 1st, 1858.
W. H. Pullman, April 22nd, 1867.
William Griffin, December 1st, 1870.
William N. Parslow, November 6th, 1871.
[end page 10]
TRINITY CHURCH, HOBOKEN, N. J.
A SKETCH : 1853-1903.
WHEN our Lord said, " First the blade, then the ear, then the
full corn in the ear," He asserted the law of growth in
things spiritual and material. To write a complete history of
Trinity Parish, Hoboken, is not within my power. Fifty years
of Parochial Life cannot be covered in a few pages. Little by
little, much has been accomplished. These years have brought
blessings untold in the lives of many. Spiritual results cannot
be written down. The dynamic force of spiritual energies can-
not be registered. All that I may hope to do is to chronicle a
few of the more important events that have made up the material
history of the Parish.
Trinity Parish was founded September 16th, 1853. The
population of Hoboken was about six thousand, and it was felt
that the setting apart of a new parish in the upper part of the
town was a necessity. A meeting of those interested was held
at the house of Abraham L. Van Boskerck, on the 24th of August,1853, when 52 persons signed the application to the Bishop for the new Parish, and, on the 16th of September, 1853, the Corporation of Trinity Church was organized. Messrs. John W. Van Boskerck and William P. Wright were elected Wardens and the following gentlemen were chosen Vestry men: Abraham L. Van Boskerck, James F. Melliss, Daniel Wadsworth, William Hindhaugh, Hazelton Walkley, L. J. Van Boskerck, Peter Ritter, Jr., Michael V. Banta.
On the same day, September 16th, 1853, the Rev. N. W.
Camp was called as Rector of the Parish, and he officiated for
[end page 11]
the first time on the morning of October 18th, the Feast of S.
Luke, Evangelist, at a service held in the Rector's Parlours, in
the house first door above 6th street on the West side of Wash-
ington street. In the evening the services were held in the Town
Hall which stood on the South-west corner of Washington and
First streets. Odd Fellows' Hall was completed in the Spring of
1854, and from March 6th, 1854 (Fourth Sunday in Lent) until
September 7th, 1856, when the new Church was ready, all the
services were held there. The Holy Communion was admin-
istered for the first time on the 4th of December, 1853, when
twenty-five persons received that Holy Sacrament. Twenty
families had been enrolled as members of the Parish-44 adults
and 28 children.
The Sunday School was organized, with 17 children, on the
Fifth Sunday in Lent, April 2nd, 1854. Mr. James F. Melliss was
the first Superintendent and continued in that office until his
much lamented decease.
On November 29th, 1853, a Committee was appointed to
select a site for a Church Building. The Committee reported to
the Vestry from time to time, and finally, on August 20th, 1855,
recommended the purchase of two lots (each 25x100 feet) " next
adjoining the most northerly brick house on Washington street,
West side, between 6th and 7th Streets." The Vestry accepted
the recommendation of the Committee, but the Rev. Dr. Camp
resigned the Rectorship on August 29th, 1855, and the Vestry
wisely decided to elect a new Rector before going further in the
matter. Dr. Camp's resignation was received with great regret.
For nearly two years he had faithfully and efficiently administered the Parish.
The Rev. John W. Clark was elected Rector on September
24th, 1855, and on S. Luke's Day, October 18th, 1855, the Vestry again took up the question of a site for a Church building. It was decided to buy four lots on the North-east corner of Washington and 7th streets at a cost of $7,000. The Church building was from a design of Richard Upjohn, but was carried out
under the supervision of Deutsche and Dietz, local architects.
[end page 12]
[plate facing pg 12: The Rev. N. Sayre Harris, 1856 - 1865.]
Unfortunately, they tried to "improve" on the original plan.
The Corner Stone, placed at the North-east corner of what is now
the Nave of the Church, and marked "A. D. MDCCCLV," was
laid by Bishop Doane on December 18th, 1855. The Procession
formed in Odd Fellows' Hall and marched to the site where the
stone was laid in the presence of a large congregation. Among
those present were, of course, the Bishop, the Rector, the Vestry, and also the following clergymen: Rev. J. W. Ward, 1st Rector of St. Paul's, Hoboken, Rev. Vandervoort Bruce, Rector of
St. Paul's, Rev. N. W. Camp, D. D., 1st Rector of Trinity, Rev.
Joshua Smith, Rev. Edward O. Flagg, Rev. E. A. Hoffman, Rev.
Stephen Douglass, Rev. Richard Coxe, Rev. D. O. M. Johnson,
and Rev. Dr. Robertson.
The Rev. John W. Clark resigned, May 7th, 1856. His was
a short Rectorship, but in less than eight months he had accomplished great things for the Parish. How beloved he was by the people is shown by the fact that when the Rectorship of the
Parish was vacant in 1866, the Rev. Mr. Clark was again chosen
The Rev. N. Sayre Harris next entered upon his duties as
Rector on the 20th of May, 1856. The Church Building was
completed in August, 1856. The plan was cruciform, but the Nave
only had been built. It accomodated about 500 people. It was
intended to add the Transepts and Chancel later. The material
used was blue stone, and the exterior was finished in Gothic
style. The frontage was fifty-three feet, and the height of the
West front to the top of the Gable was fifty-six feet. The Chancel
end was adorned with a window of English glass, the gift of the
Rev. John W. Clark. The first service in the new building was
held on the 10th Sunday after Trinity, September 7th, 1856.
On the 8th of November, 1856, a Memorial Chapel (the
present "Choir Vestry''), built by Mr. William P. Wright, in
memory of his daughter Grace, was completed and presented to
the Corporation. It had been building since the previous May.
As the Tablet says: "This Chapel for the religious instruction of
the young was erected as the memorial of an only child,1856." The
[end page 13]
Tablet is the last work of Mr. Crawford, a well-known American
sculptor, who died before it was finished. In a letter to the
Vestry, written by Mr. Wright, the history of the Tablet is given.
Mr. Crawford's friend, Mr. Rudolph Rogers, completed the
Tablet. The ship "Argivo," in which the Tablet had been sent
to this country, was wrecked off the Island of Corsica, February
2nd, 1859, and the Tablet lay at the bottom of the Mediterranean
Sea for six months. It was recovered, repaired, and re-shipped
to America. It reached Hoboken in August 1860, and is now on
the East wall of the Choir Vestry. Bishop Doane wrote the
inscription. "Grace Chapel," fully furnished, cost $3,000. Mr.
Wright at the time also presented a few shares of bank stock as
a fund for a gold medal to be yearly awarded in the Sunday
The debt on the Church Building was paid by September,
1858. The payment of the debt had meant hard work, self-
denial and earnest perserverance on the part of Rector and Con-
gregation. They saw their labour rewarded when the Church
was Consecrated on October 3rd, 1858. There was at this time
no current debt. The ground upon which the Church Building
stood, however, was not free from encumbrance.
In March, 1860, the Organ Gallery was built, and the Organ
made by W. A. Johnson, of Westfield, Massachusetts, was first
used in Divine Service on March 18th, 1860. This organ was in
continuous use until 1901. In June, 1860, the Church was
entered by burglars and many valuable things were stolen,
velvet cushions, altar cloth, carpets from three aisles, silk gown,
surplice, etc. In 1862 the Church was painted in Fresco.
On March 6th, 1863, Mr. James F. Melliss, one of the
founders of the Parish, who had been Vestryman for three years,
Warden for seven years, and Superintendent of the Sunday School from the beginning, passed "within the veil." Devoted to Trinity Church and its activities, a suitable Tablet in his memory hangs upon the South wall of the Church.
[end page 14]
Mr. Abraham Van Boskerck, a Vestryman, one of the founders of the Parish, had passed to his reward on May 6th, 1855.
His brother John W. Van Boskerck, a Vestryman, and also one
of the first Wardens, departed this life February 18th, 1859. They
both did much for Trinity Church, and its growth was dear to
The Records of the Vestry note the decease in 1865 of Mr.
John H. Suckley and Mr. Charles L. Bowers, members of the
Corporation. The Minute adopted by the Vestry speaks of "the
cheerful readiness with which these gentlemen ever counselled
and contributed for the Church's interests."
May they all rest in the Peace of God!
In 1863-1864 all encumbrances on the Church property
were paid. "This result," as the Rev. Mr. Harris put it, "has
not been reached without painstaking, hard work, open handed
liberality and cordial unanimity on the part of all concerned, and
the blessing of Him, Who has given us to will and to do of His
In 1864, it was felt that the "interests of the Parish demand
a School House and Parsonage." The women of the Congrega-
tion raised money enough to buy the lot (20x70 ft.) on which
the present Rectory stands. They also provided $1000 toward a
To the great sorrow of the Parish, however, the Rev. Mr.
Harris resigned on October 18th, 1865. His Rectorship of more
than nine years was a large-hearted one. His courtliness of
manner is still remembered; and his wise, good and far-seeing
administration did large things for the Parish.
In 1866, the "School House and Parsonage" was completed.
The debt incurred amounted to about $12,500. The amount
was soon afterwards reduced by $2,000, but for many years this
was a heavy burden to the Parish.
The Rev. Frederick Fitz Gerald entered upon his duties as
Rector in the latter part of November, 1865. His Rectorship was
[end page 15]
a short one, but it was full of anxiety, and his cares and respon-
sibilities were heavy. He bore himself with the gentle, manly,
brave, patient courtesy of the true Minister of God, and, doubt-
less, he has " entered into the joy " of his Lord. To be spoken
of as "a Model Parish Priest," as the Minute of the Vestry speaks of him, is no small praise.
On the 12th of November 1866, the Rev. Reuben W. Howes,
Jr., was elected Rector. It is not possible to tell in few words
of the many activities of his Rectorship, covering a period of
nearly eight years. In 1869 a lot (20x30 ft.) in the rear of the
"School House and Parsonage " was bought for $500. In the
same year Bishop Odenheimer, in his Annual Convention Address, spoke of the Rector's administration of the Parish in termsof special praise, and, in the highest way possible commended the efficiency and zeal of Mr. William Plumer's Superintendency of the Sunday School.
In March, 1871, the Corporation received a legacy of one
thousand dollars from the estate of Miss Eliza Jane Van Boskerck for the purpose of reducing the Mortgage Debt. In 1873, a bequest of $500 from the estate of Mr. Alexander McWhorter was received for the same purpose. Mr. McWhorter at one time had been a Warden of the Parish. By these bequests the Mortgage Debt was reduced to $11,000.
Mr. William P. Wright who had been a Warden of the Parish
from its foundation, who had built the Grace Wright Memorial
Chapel in 1856, and who had given of his time and means from
the beginning, resigned from the Corporation on March 19th,
1872. Mr. Wright went abroad to live, and in his letter to the
Vestry said that he had "been much interested in the welfare
of our Church, and left it with much regret." At a meeting of
the Corporation, held March 25th, 1872, it was "Resolved - that
the communication of Mr. Wright be entered on the Minutes,
and that the Secretary of the Vestry be requested to express to
Mr. Wright their regret at his resignation of the office of Senior
Warden, and of his probable separation from this Parish, he
having been prominently connected with the same since its in-
[end page 16]
[plate facing pg 16: The Rev. Frederick Fitzgerald, 1865 - 1866.]
The Church was again painted in Fresco in the Summer of
1872, and on August 20th of this same year a communication
was received from the Vestry of St. Paul's, Hoboken, relative to
the consolidation of the two Parishes. No further mention of
the matter is made in the Minutes of the Corporation of Trinity
Church. In 1872, also, a new "Vestry Room" was built at the
North-east corner of the Church.
It was with a feeling of heartfelt disappointment that the
resignation of the Rev. Mr. Howes was accepted on May 10th,
1874. His character had endeared him to all in the Parish and
in the City, and his Rectorship, buoyant, faithful, hard-working,
had covered one of the periods of largest development in the
growth of the Parish.
The Rev. Telfair Hodgson was elected Rector on April 13th,
1874, and entered upon his duties on the first Sunday in July.
The progress of the Parish went on during the four years and
more of his well-remembered Rectorship. A new iron fence was
placed about the Church grounds at a cost of $1,050. The side-
walk was reduced to the City grade. The Boy Choir was organ-
ized and vested in Cassock and Cotta. The Church Porch (West-
front) was built and the half of the lot formerly included in Court
Street was enclosed. In 1877, the Sunday School gave $500
toward the payment of the Mortgage on the Church Property,
which reduced that burden to $10,500. During the Christmas
Tide of 1878, Mrs. Hodgson presented to the Parish a White
Altar Frontal and a Brass Altar Cross.
When Dr. Hodgson resigned, on October 7th, 1878, to ac-
cept the Deanship of the Theological Seminary at Sewanee,
Tennessee, the widespread regret of parishioners and others testi-
fied to the large place which he had held in their hearts, and he
went to his new work followed by the prayers and crowned by
the praises of many to whom he had ministered. When he
had passed into the "Ante-Chamber of the Great Presence,"
September 11th, 1893, the "Resolutions" adopted by the Corporation
of Trinity Church, Hoboken, gave no uncertain sound as they
[end page 17]
spoke of his worth and work.
On the 22nd of October, 1878, the Rev. George Clarke
Houghton was elected Rector. He entered upon his duties on
the Feast of the Circumcision, January 1st, 1879. The activities
of the Parish increased. The weekly Eucharist was begun, and
no Sunday has since passed without the great "Lifting up." In
the Summer of 1879, the Church floor was removed, an air cellar
of four feet was excavated and four ventilators cut in the side
walls of the foundation, and a new and thoroughly substantial
floor was laid. The Chancel was altered, the Railing set back,
the step lowered, and the gates opened from the centre. The
whole Church was re-carpeted. A Choir Room (10x12 ft.) was
built as an addition to the Sacristy. The grounds were laid out,
and trees and shrubbery planted. The Rectory was repaired and
repainted. The first payment of $100 was made upon the
purchase of the lot in the rear of Church and Rectory. The total
cost of the lot was $3,000, and the final payment of $1,000 was
made in 1895.
A Committee was appointed in the Spring of 1880 to take
into consideration the fit celebrating of the 25th Anniversary of
the laying of the Corner Stone. On Saturday the 18th of
December that Anniversary was kept. In the early morning
the Holy Communion was administered, and at half past ten the
Church was filled with a large congregation. The service was
read by the Rev. Clarence Buell, of St. Luke's Church, N. Y.,the
Rev. N. Sayre Harris, third Rector of Trinity, the Rev. W. W.
Holley, D. D., of Hackensack, N. J., the Rev. J. P. Appleton of
Boonton, N. J., the Rt. Rev. John A. Paddock, Bishop of Wash-
ington Territory and the Rt. Rev. Thomas A. Starkey, Bishop of
Northern New Jersey. The Rev. W. J. Knox-Little, Rector of
St. Alban's, Manchester, England, preached the Sermon from the
text "Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and after that
receive me into glory." Bishop Starkey followed with one of his
eloquent addresses. The Offerings at this Service reduced the
Parish Debt $2,000. After the service, Mr. and Mrs. E. P. C.
Lewis entertained the Clergy, the Vestry, and former members
[end page 18]
of the Vestry, at Luncheon. On the next day, Sunday, the Rt.
Rev. George Franklin Seymour, D. D., Bishop of Springfield,
preached the Sermon.
For many years, Mr. Wm. Plumer had served the Parish
with untiring zeal. He had been a Vestryman for Twenty years,
when on the evening of April 24th, 1882, being then elected
Treasurer of the Parish for the eleventh time, the Rector, on be-
half of himself, the Wardens and the Vestry presented Mr. Plu-
mer with a handsome, solid silver, gold mounted paper knife.
The knife bore an inscription testifying to the affectionate regard
felt for Mr. Plumer by all.
During the Summer of 1882, Trinity Church was, practically,
rebuilt, nothing remaining of the old structure but the sidewalls
of the Nave and the West Front. The East end of the building
was extended 30 ft., and two short transepts were added. This
addition allowed a suitable Chancel of 27 ft. The organ was
brought down from the Gallery, and placed on the South side of
the Choir, and a new Gallery was built. In the building of the
Nave in 1856, the local Architects had changed the original plan
by Richard Upjohn, and had "underhung" the interior. Under
the supervision of James Pirsson, Church Architect, the old
plaster ceiling was removed, and the clere-story, which had been
originally furred out in semi-Gothic half-circles, was opened with
windows. The gain in height was 10 ft. The roof was slated
and a new Vestibule built under the Gallery. A new Choir Room
and Sacristy were built to the North of the Chancel. The interior
was re-decorated. The Sanctuary floor was done in Minton
Tiles, and new gas fixtures, altar rail and Credence of brass were
added, together with new windows. The old Chancel Window,
given by Rev. Mr. Clark, second Rector of the Church, was
placed back of the Altar which was of handsome Ash.
It was with great joy and enthusiasm that the Re-Opening
Service-the Consecration of the Chancel and Transepts and the
Re-Dedication of the Church-was held on Saturday, November
4th, 1882. The Rt. Rev. Bishop Starkey, and the Rt. Rev.
Bishop Paddock, of Washington Territory, the Rector, and about
[end page 19]
75 other Clergymen were present. After the Consecration Office,
Stephen's "Te Deum" in C was sung as an Introit, and the Mass
was Tours in F. The Rev. George H. Houghton, D. D.,
Rector of the Church of the Transfiguration, N. Y., preached the
Sermon, from the text, "We would see Jesus." The Anthem
sung as the Offertorium, "Blessed are they that dwell in Thy
House," was also by Tours. After the Service, the Clergy and
others were entertained at Luncheon by Mr. John Stevens, a
Vestryman, at Castle Point. This was a Red Letter day in the
History of Trinity Parish, a day ever to be remembered, and it
was an exponent of the devotion of Rector and People. The
cost of these improvements was in the neighbourhood of
In the late Winter of 1885, the Minutes of the Vestry record
a desire to enlarge the "Sunday School House." This was done,
and on February 17th, 1886 the two new Rooms in the Rectory
and the Extension to the Sunday School Hall were completed.
These were busy days. The Rev. C. M. Carr was Assistant to
the Rector from April 20th, 1885 to February 21st, 1887. The
Envelope System, which has been such a boon to the Parish,
was introduced February 21st, 1887.
On April 18th, 1887, the Corporation of the Parish presented
a beautiful gold-headed Cane to Mr. John M. Livingston, as a
token of their esteem of him and of his work. He had been
Secretary since May 5th, 1873.
In September 1888, two priest's stalls carved in wood were
presented by two communicants. An eagle Lectern was also
given by a member of the congregation. It is a fine specimen
of work in wood.
On the first Sunday in January 1889, the Feast of the Epiphany,
the Rev. George Clarke Houghton completed ten years
of his Pastorate. On that occasion he was presented with a
beautiful gold watch and a purse of gold as a slight mark of the
affection and regard in which he was held by the Parishioners.
At the special service at 10.30 on that morning, a Choir Banner,
presented by Class No. 1 of the Sunday School, was used for
[end page 20]
[plate facing pg 20: The Rev. Reuben Wing Howes, D.D., 1866 - 1874.]
the first time. The present Chancel Windows in the East Wall
were unveiled, the middle one given by her parents in memory
of Sarah Merchant Maben, a little girl ; the window on the
right hand side given by their family in memory of Helen H.
and Lorenzo W. Elder, M. D.; and the window on the left hand
side given by Mrs. Warne Smythe in loving memory of her
parents Sarah S. Stout and Wm. A. Stout. At the same time, the
Rector presented a window, "The Appearance of our Lord to
Mary Magdalene," in memory of his mother. An elaborate
gothic, quartered oak Pulpit, richly carved, made in Germany,
was given by those who had been confirmed during the ten
years' Rectorship. These beautiful gifts are here to-day. We
can realize the beauty of them all. Trinity Church would not
be what it is without them. As Dr. Houghton said at the time
when speaking of the Anniversary : "It will register the contin-
uous Rectorship of 10 years, and the continuous and increasing
work of a faithful congregation, and many and large improve-
ments in our Church property."
Mr. William Plumer, felt called upon to resign, March 26th,
1894. He had been a member of the Corporation for 32 years,
Treasurer for 17 years, and Junior Warden for 8 years, -a
re-markable record. Mr. Plumer is still a faithful and interested
Communicant of the Parish and, because of his own modest and
humble-minded estimate of himself and his work, we will say
that there is no one whom we regard with more sincere affection.
During these years many faithful members of the Parish had
gone to their rest.
William Hill Dilworth was gathered to his fathers, February
11th, 1887. Conscientious and faithful in the discharge of his
duties, thoughtful and cautious as an adviser, honorable and
honored among his fellow-men, warm-hearted as a friend, he
was a loving and devout communicant.
Edward Parke Custis Lewis, for many years a member of
the Corporation, an honored delegate to the Convention of the
Diocese, departed this life September 3rd, 1892. Greatly esteem-
[end page 21]
ed, genial, courteous, he was generous of heart and devoted to
the interests of the Parish.
The Hon. Frederick Beasley Ogden "feli on sleep" Novem-
ber 1st, 1893. He had been Vestryman and Warden, a learned
and valued counsellor, an upright and fearless Judge, a conscien-
tious Mayor of the City, an honored citizen.
The Parish lost John C. Besson on December 15th, 1894.
His upright life, his manliness, his devoted attention to the duties
which devolved upon him as a member of the Corporation, his
valuable counsel and advice in every department of the religious
and business interests of the Parish had endeared him closely to
John Stevens entered into rest January 21st, 1895. A beloved
comrade and sincere friend, Junior Warden of the Parish,
for sixteen years he had been an active member of the Corpora-
tion, faithful and devout. He was a man of singularly pure and
spotless life, humble-minded, intensely sensitive to his obliga-
tions of duty, embued with love for Christ and His Church. To
say what he had been to the Parish were not possible. And he
"being dead yet speaketh," for his name is carved deep into the
foundation stones of Trinity Church. His "works do follow
him," for on the fifteenth of March 1895, by his bounty the old
mortgage debt was settled and the payments on the purchase
price of the strip of land back of the Church and Rectory, which
were being made - $100 every year - were completed, and an
endowment fund, of $8,000, was started, - all of his consecrated
wealth. He left the Church $20,000. In the death of His saints
is Jesus praised !
When, on April 22nd, 1895, Mrs. John Stevens of her love
and liberality offered to build a Baptistery in memory of her husband,
it was felt that such a Memorial was most suitable.
On April 15th, 1896, the Baptistery was dedicated by the
Bishop. A Red Letter Day had come in the history of the Parish.
For further description the present writer must refer the reader to
the beautiful Book "The Baptistery of Trinity Church, Hoboken"
[end page 22]
compiled by the Rev. George Clarke Houghton with great care
and labour. For still further description the present writer would
refer all readers to the Baptistery itself which we all love and
When the Baptistery was built, Grace Chapel was made the
Choir Vestry, the entrance into the Church being through the
Baptistery. A new Steam Heating Plant was placed in the
Church, Rectory and Sunday School Hall. This was done
through the contributions of parishioners. At the same time, a
very generous friend, Mr. C. Albert Stevens, made possible the
re-decoration of the Church and the setting up of new pews,
greatly to the beautifying of the building.
Dr. George Clarke Houghton was called to be Vicar of the
Church of the Transfiguration, New York, where in a few months
he succeeded his uncle as Rector of the Parish, and he resigned
the Rectorship of Trinity Church, Hoboken, which took effect
November 2nd, 1897. In the Minutes adopted by the Corpora-
tion the Wardens and Vestrymen tendered to him "their sincere
thanks for his faithful and zealous work in the interest of the
Parish during his Rectorship, to which is due its present condi-
tion," and with "heartfelt regret accepted his resignation."
On November 1st, 1897, All Saints'Day, the present Rector
Rev. James Clayton Mitchell, S. T. B., Curate of S. Paul's Parish,
Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, Penn., was called to the Rectorship.
He entered upon his duties on the Fourth Sunday in Advent,
December 19th, 1897.
In March 1898, the steam boiler was burned out, and was
replaced by a larger one during the following summer at a cost
of $500. In June, the north-east corner of the Church Roof was
"coppered," and the Sanctuary wall was re-frescoed. On Trinity
Sunday 1898, a handsome Bishop's Chair carved in oak was
presented to the Parish in memory of the Rev. Telfair Hodgson,
Rector of Trinity Church 1874-1878, by Mrs. E. P. C. Lewis.
The Church and Rectory were Re-Pointed in the summer of
1899, a new wooden Cornice was placed about the Church, the
Roof was repaired, the exterior of the Church, Rectory and Sun-
[end page 23]
day School Hall were painted, and a concrete walk was laid be-
tween the Church and Rectory, the side-walk here being widened
about 7 feet.
On March 17th, 1901, Mrs. Lewis H. Hyde of her great
devotion and charity presented $1,500 to the Parish to be applied
to the purchase of the premises 711 Washington street, the same
having been secured by a generous parishioner so that the Church
property might always be protected on the north side. Mrs.
Hyde made this gift in loving memory of her son John Stevens
who entered into rest March 15th, 1900. This condition was
attached to this gift viz. that no interest money should be de-
manded by the Corporation from the present holder of the property
until such time as the aforesaid property should be free from debt.
The Corporation, therefore, has a voice in the disposal of these
premises, and it is hoped that some day 7.11 Washington street
may belong outright to the Parish of Trinity Church.
On the Second Sunday in Lent, 1901, six new Clerestory
windows in the Chancel were unveiled. They had been given
by parishioners in memory of Edwin Augustus Stevens (1795-
1868) and Martha Bayard, his wife (1831-1899). The windows
on the Organ side picture three Angels with musical instruments,
one with a harp, one with a trumpet, and one with cymbals, the
thought being that of the sanctification of Art and Music in the
worship of Almighty God. On the Sacristy side of the Chancel,
nearest to the Altar is the representation of an Angel holding a
Chalice, while immediately in front, nearer the nave of the Church,
are two representations,the one of an Angel in Adoration, and the
other of an Angel swinging a Censer. The idea is that of the
Angels ministering to our Lord in His work as our Great High
Priest. The windows were made in Munich, by Mayer and Co.
At Christmas Time 1899, an interested and devoted Vestry-
man, Mr. Charles M. Chapin, had offered $2,000 toward a New
Organ which, for some time, had been sadly needed. By the
Spring of 1901 the remainder of the amount, $6,000, was all in
hand, the gift of parishioners, and on Trinity Sunday 1901 the
New Organ was dedicated. It is a fine instrument, and was built
[end page 24]
[plate facing pg 24: The Rev. Telfair Hodgson, D.D., 1874 - 1878.]
by the Austin Organ Co., of Hartford, Conn.
A Cyclone visited northern New Jersey in August 1901. It
did much damage in Hoboken. Our beautiful tree at the corner
of 7th and Washington streets was lost, and the Church and
Rectory were damaged to the extent of $600. This money for
Repairs was subscribed within a few weeks. In September 1901,
a new carpet was placed under the Pews in the Church, and on
All Saints' Day 1901, new Choir Stalls of handsome Oak were
placed in the Chancel, the old ones being given to S. John's
Church, West Hoboken. New Chairs replaced the old benches in
the Sunday School Hall in October 1901, through the liberality
of Mr. Robert L. Stevens, a Vestryman. Through the kindness
ofMr. Edward H. Horwood, Warden, Welsbach Lights were placed
in the Sunday School Hall in December 1902.
The Current Debt of the Parish in 1897 was $5,500. Chiefly
by the hard work of the women of the Parish, this encumbrance
was removed, and on the morning of the First Sunday in May
1903, the Note, held by the First National Bank of Hoboken, was
burned in the presence of a large congregation. While the paper
was burning, the Choir and congregation sang : "Praise God from
Whom all blessings flow."
During the present Rectorship, our losses from the Church
Militant have been many.
William Moffatt departed this life May 16th, 1898. He was
a man of sterling character, a devout Christian, a staunch Church-
man, a true friend, and for 13 years had been a Vestryman.
John M. Livingston entered into rest November 7th, 1898.
He had been a member of the Corporation for 27 years, its Secre-
tary for 21 years, and Superintendent of the Sunday School for 3
years. He was a firm friend, a beloved parent, and, when in
health was always in his place in God's House on Sunday. He
took the deepest interest in the welfare of the Parish.
C. Albert Stevens passed into the other world March 28th,
1901. A Vestryman from 1891 until 1895 and afterwards Junior
[end page 25]
Warden, he was a liberal supporter of the Parish, of a kindly and
genial nature and much beloved.
Henry Morton entered into life eternal May 9th, 1902. For
31 years he had been a member of the Corporation and for many
years was Senior Warden. He was a man of varied gifts and
large talents, President of the Stevens'Institute of Technology,
a public-spirited citizen, of reputation in the scientific and literary
Mary Picton Lewis passed from the shadows of this world
into the reality of the next, September 21st, 1903, the Feast of S.
Matthew, Apostle and Evangelist. For a great many years she
worshipped in Trinity Church, and was a generous supporter
thereof. Of sweet and lovable disposition, a devout communi-
cant, a large-hearted friend, her last hours were spent in happy
resignation to God's Will, in thought for His poor and for His
Church, and her name this Parish will ever hold dear. To the
Endowment Fund she bequeathed $10,000. "Her works do
follow her," and we lift our hearts to God in gratitude for the
noble example of a noble life.
During the Summer of 1903, the Church Building was done
over, the walls of Nave and Chancel were frescoed, the Sunday
School Hall was re-papered and re-painted, the Choir Room and
Sacristies were re-painted and many other minor improvements
were made. Oak Doors of a beautiful kind have replaced the old
painted doors back of the Pulpit., The new doors, given by
parishioners, are a Memorial of a loved one.
This Sketch of the History of Trinity Parish, Hoboken, must
now be brought to a close. An account of the Celebration of the
50th Anniversary will be found in another place. It is given in
"The Parish Chronicle" which for the last five years has noted
the more important happenings of Parish Life. But the writer
fain would record his appreciation of the faithful work of a faithful ["ful" is holographic addition in ink]
congregation, and bless God for it.
JAMES CLAYTON MITCHELL.
[end page 27]
GRIT AND GRACE
A Sermon preached by the Rector of Trinity Church, Hoboken,
N. J., on the morning of the Fourth Sunday in Advent,
December 21st, 1902.
(Printed by request.)
Nehemiah IV : 17.
"Everyone with one of his hands wrought in the
work, and with the other hand held a weapon."
Nehemiah and the brave hearts that went back to Jerusalem
to rebuild the Temple and "the wall of the City roundabout "were
moved by the highest aims and motives. They had before their
minds the vision of a " city at unity in itself," a city dedicated
to Jehovah and righteousness. Religion was the basis of all their
work and it was religion only that gave them the courage to
undertake so large a task. But the long journey from Babylon
across the sandy desert to their native land, the forlorn condition
of the once noted City, the dilapidated walls, and the make-shifts
of houses, the enmity of the peoples who for some years had held
possession of the place-all these must have made Nehemiah and
his faithful band feel that the actualities fell far short of the visions.
And yet that vision of the restoration of the tumble-down,
that vision of happiness, of comfort, of perfection comes to every
man. It is the capacity in us for the vision that is either our
weal or our woe. It is that vision of the "city at unity in itself"
which is the secret of all progress, and the motive of all work.
To be a success even in this world a man must have it ; to be a
man at all he cannot be without it, for at bottom the craving for
success, the desire for perfection is in some fashion the relic of
that divine endowment of man of which sin in great part hath
Thus Nehemiah and his faithful few came to their appointed
task with a high ambition. To see the wall rebuilt, the city
magnified, the worship of Jehovah restored-this was their ideal,
and the ideal kindled enthusiasm and made sacrifice possible.
Never in this world are we able fully to carry out our plans
[end page 27]
and to realize our ideals, but that is no reason for giving them
up. The great men are the men who have pursued ideals in
spite of antagonism and criticism and active hostility. Indeed it
was the sense of this vocation that gave Nehemiah and his com-
pany the strength for their great undertaking. It was this that
supported them-this strength of the ideal-that made them go on
in their work until the House was built and the wall completed.
It was this that carried Moses through, in spite of the desert-
wandering. It was this that came to the support of Elijah when
his heart was sore and his faith bedimmed. It was this that made
Savanarola persevere in his mission. It was this-this strength
of the ideal-that gave the Apostles power to do and to dare. It
was this that made S. Paul the hero he was. It is this which is
the inspiration for duty in a prosaic world, and keeps 'good' the
end which we would pursue.
Brethren, this--the pursuit of the ideal-is the secret of the
Christian Kingdom, for the pursuit of the ideal is the following of
Christ. I care not how imperfect the conception of that ideal be,
in a man's life-yet, if he have it, in the sphere of work he has
within him the secret of a final success and triumph ; if he have
it in the domain of character he has the pledge of eternal victory.
It is the pursuit of the ideal or the following of the Christ
that should animate our method and inspire our work : our method,
because it is possible to do the right thing in the wrong way ;
our work because with a mind intent upon the right method we
may lose sight of the final end. Nehemiah saw that the two ele-
ments of success were grit and grace. "Everyone with one of his
hands wrought in the work,"-grit to carry out the plan ; "and
with the other hand held a weapon"-to ward off the hostile
attacks of those who disliked the thought of a rebuilt wall and did
what they could to hinder its accomplishment;-Grace to hold on
to the ideal and Grit to carry it out.
The offensive and defensive warfare is needed in order that
any battle may be successfully fought. The pursuit of the king-
dom of Christ-the building of the wall of the spiritual Zion, the
strengthening of the stakes of the Parish-all are to be brought
[end page 28]
[plate facing pg 28: The Rev. George Clarke Houghton, D.D., 1879 - 1897.]
about by the same method and the same work kindled and fired
with the same ideal. "Everyone with one of his hands must
work and with the other hand must hold a weapon." The wall
will never be built aright unless Grit and Grace go hand in hand
in the pursuit of the ideal.
As we look over the part of our Parish wall that has been
built in these last five years we thank God for the solid ap-
pearance that it has,-the mortar seems to cling to the stones and
the stones seem to be placed aright. In spite of difficulty and
hardship in building, yet the people having a " mind to work,"
much has been done. Grit has held on, and one hand, the hand
of loyalty and self-denial, has brought us a material return for
our efforts that makes us very thankful.
Considerable money has been raised during these five years.
$1,122.44 has been given to the poor. $3,147.27 has been used
for the payment of debts (this does not include the sum raised a
few weeks ago for the Debt Fund). In repairs and improve-
ments we have spent $7,451.06. $3,377.79 has gone to the work
of the Church Diocesan and General. $6,000 has been spent on a
new organ-sadly needed for some time.
In 1897 our debt stood $5,500. At the end of this month we
expect it will be only 12 or 13 hundred dollars. The recent effort
towards its payment will surely net $2,000-perhaps a trifle more.
Later on, the exact figures will be given in the "Parish Chronicle."
Up to December 1st, the current expenses of the Parish were paid.
A generous Thanksgiving Offering made this possible. Not ex-
traordinary efforts, but regular systematic offerings should pay
the current expenses of the Parish. We can do our share by co-
operating in what has absolutely proved itself a success-the
envelope system as used here in Trinity Church. You have no
idea, perhaps, how great a help both to the giver and to the
Parish is this mode of giving. Try it and you will be satisfied of
what I say. Looking back over five years I am struck with the
little amount of begging I have done at Church services. I have
trusted to the generosity and sense of duty of our parishioners.
Without the Guilds of the Parish we could not have done
[end page 29]
what we have done. You know what the purpose of a Guild is ?
Well, the object is to make easier the practical workings of the
Parish by a division of labour. No Guild is what it ought to be
if any spirit of ungracious rivalry be in it. We are all working for
a common object-? the good of the Parish, the prosperity of the
whole, and that good and prosperity are destroyed or crippled
when the ideal is dimmed or forgotten. To make distinctions
would be invidious, but I wish publicly to say that the vigor and
earnestness and hard work of the various organizations and their
managers, and of the various and many helpers who so willingly
laboured, which brought the late Bazaar such success, made us all
feel that Trinity Church has but begun to realize its working
capacity-when a common end is sought and a high ideal is in
Nothing of late has so encouraged your Rector as this cheer-
ful offering of goods and hard labour for the benefit of our dear
Most of our activities have continued this past year as in the
four years previous,-in some instances with renewed and
doubled interest. The Sewing School, the Mothers' Meeting,
the Sunday School, the many Guilds and their unselfish Heads,
the Altar and Sanctuary Departments, the details of the Choir
Room and its management, the Sacristy and its care, the
Poor, the many Gifts, the watchful and loving labour given by
Devoted Women, the excellent work of our Choir of Men and
Boys under the leadership of our efficient Organist, the Sexton's
interest and thoughtfulness, - I could not begin to tell of them
all. These continued works are noted in the Great Registry
above and their worth and treasure will never be known until
the Judgment is set and the Books are opened.
And now having glanced at the material side of things let us
look at the other. Let us see what Grace has done. In the other
hand Nehemiah's men held the weapon, the defensive weapon,
that the wall might be builded free from the molestation of the
enemy, just as the Christian puts on the whole Armour of God
that evil may be withstood and the wall of the heavenly Jerusalem
[end page 30]
built, that heavenly Jerusalem whose walls are the salvation of
Christian Character, whose bulwarks are righteousness, whose
Gates are praise. In the other hand the Christian carries his weap-
on of defence, the weapon of patience and gentleness and charity,
and devotion to the ideal His Master-he has the spiritual grace of
the inward life that alone gives power to what he does,-grace
dispensed and given through the Church in Christ's own appointed
way. Let me tell you of the 250 baptisms of the last five years
when individual souls have been grafted into Christ and made mem-
bers of His Church, let me mention the 207 Confirmations when
Christians, having renewed the solemn promises of their Baptism,
have had Apostolic hands laid on their heads and been certified
and sealed with the Holy Spirit. Let me speak of the many
Communions made when souls have been brought face to face
with Jesus and strengthened for life's battle or for the last journey
home. Let me record the 109 solemnizations of matrimony, the
136 burials, the 2,106 services, the 1,000 sermons and addresses,
the many social calls and visitings of the sick, the comforting of
the sad, the consolations of religion for the tempted, the assur-
ances of pardon to the penitent, of help to the poor-when I tell
you of these, I am speaking of the vital parts of our religion with-
out which there would be no use in all the rest, without which
the walls of Christian character could never be built. The great
enemy cannot cope with grace, and the powers of darkness flee
before the hosts of light. It is only as success in the temporal
gives greater opportunity for the spiritual that Zion's walls are
This is our aim, our motive, our ideal-the Christ-life in us,
the extension of the Kingdom, pro Christo etecclesia, the making
of men and women, and the building up of the wall of the City
that civilization may be regenerated and the world redeemed.
The Parish should be the point of contact with Christ and it is
that, in so far as brotherly love continues and abounds, for then
we know that we as lively stones are being built into the walls of
the Heavenly City which standeth sure for ever and ever. Ideals
are the inspiration of life, and Grit and Grace carry them out.
[end page 31]
The Fiftieth Anniversary.
(From "The Parish Chronicle", November 1903.)
The Birthday was joyfully kept on The Twentieth Sunday
after Trinity, October 25th, 1903. Fifty years of work for Christ
and His Church, fifty years of Worship, fifty years of struggle
and effort, of hardship and happiness! At 7.30 a. m. the Holy
Communion was administered to a goodly number of commun-
icants. At 10.30 a. m. the Holy Eucharist was celebrated by the
Reverend Reuben W. Howes, D.D., Rector from 1866 to 1874.
Gounod's "Messe Solennelle," S. Cecilia, was sung by the Choir,
with Orchestral Accompaniment. The Anthem by Tours, "Bles-
sed are they that dwell in Thy House" was the one sung at the
Re-Opening Service, in 1882, when the Consecration of the
Chancel and Transepts, and the Re-Dedication of the Church
took place. The Rector read a Sketch of the History of the
Parish. At 7.45 p. m. Festal Evensong was sung, and the Ser-
mon was preached by the Reverend Gibson W. Harris, Rector of
S. Ann's Church, Morrisania, New York, from the text Psalm
45:1, "The Lord of Hosts is with us."
On Wednesday, October 28th, the Feast of SS. Simon and
Jude, the Holy Eucharist having been celebrated at 7.30 a. m.
and Evening Prayer said at 5 p. m., a Parish Reception was
held in Trinity Hall and the Rectory from 8 o'clock until 11.
Many old parishioners and friends were present in addition to
the members of the Parish. The Decorations of the Hall and
Rectory were beautiful. The windows and doors were artistic-
ally festooned with yellow bunting and the plants and chry-
santhemums that graced the mantel shelves, stage, and window
sills spoke of a golden birthday. Many of those present told the
Rector that never had such a sociable event been held in Trinity
Hall. S. Alban's Orchestra "discoursed fine music," and the
writer of this article would like to say that the boys (for they are
boys to him) never did better, and that is saying a very great
The Rev. Wm. R. Jenvey, Rector of S. Paul's Church, around
[end page 32]
[plate facing pg 32: The Rev. James Clayton Mitchell, S.T.B., 1897.]
the corner, Archdeacon of Jersey City, spoke a few words of
greeting, and told of some of the missionary effort^ in the early
days of Hoboken. The Rev. G. Ernest Mag-ill, Rector of Holy
Innocents' Church, a few blocks away, spoke of the enthusiasm
that our Anniversary should kindle and of the good it should do
for the Parish. Some of our own Diocesan Clergy were present,
and also some ministers of other local churches.
At about 9.45 p. m. the Rector made the following presen-
tations on behalf of the Corporation : A silver Loving Cup to Mr.
W. N. Parslow, sexton from 1871 to the present time ; a Gold
Watch to Mr. John A. Fink, a member of the Choir consecutively
for 25 years ; a Watch "Fob" to Mr. C. Alfred Burhorn, Treas-
urer of the Corporation for ten years, also a member of the Choir
for many years; a silver-mounted Umbrella to Mr. John P. Archer,
a silver-mounted Cane to Mr. Thomas Cullen Roberts, a silver-
mounted Ink Stand to Mr. Donald Roberts, members of the Choir
for over ten years. The Choir also gave Mr. Fink a suitable
Guard for his new watch.
On Friday, October 20th, from 7.45 until 9.30, the Children
of the Parish had their treat in Trinity Hall. A Stereopticon
Exhibition was first given, and then Ice Cream and Cake follow-
ed amid much fun and merriment.
Sunday, November 1st, the Octave of the Anniversary, and
the Feast of All Saints, was a beautiful close to a beautiful week.
It was kept in Commemoration of the Faithful Departed of the
Parish, and of Departed Benefactors. At 7.30 a. m. the Curate
administered Holy Communion. At 10.30, the Holy Eucharist
was celebrated, Gounod's "Messe Solennelle," S. Cecilia, being
repeated. The Anthem was from Gaul's Cantata of the Holy
City, "No Shadows Yonder." The Rector preached from Wis-
dom III : 1-5. In the Evening at 7.45, Festal Evensong was
sung, and with Orchestral Accompaniment the Choir rendered
Sir Arthur Sullivan's Jubilee Te Deum, sung in 1872, in S. Paul's
Cathedral at the Thanksgiving Service held for the recovery of
the Prince of Wales. It was a fitting Climax to our Anniversary
Services. We had a remarkable week of beautiful weather, the
[end page 33]
Choir never sang better, the decorations were in keeping, and it
was a delight to welcome so many of the old parishioners and
friends. The Offerings were good, and, on each Sunday, some-
one placed in the almsbason [almsbasin?] a one dollar gold piece of the year
1853 - the year of the foundation of the Parish. The number of
Communions made during the Anniversary was large. We give
thanks to GOD for the many blessings that He has bestowed
upon us during these fifty years of Parish life.
[end page 34]
[plate facing pg 34, exterior photo of building: Trinity Church, 1903.]
The Ninth Annual Convention of the Diocese of Northern
New Jersey was held in Trinity Church, Hoboken, Tuesday and
Wednesday, May 15th and 16th, 1883.
On May 24th, 1887 the name of the Diocese was changed
from "Northern New Jersey" to Newark.
The Rt. Rev. Thomas Alfred Starkey, D. D., Bishop of the
Diocese, departed this life on the Fifth Sunday after Easter, May
17th, 1903. May he rest in peace !
The Rev. Edwin Stevens Lines, D. D., was consecrated
Bishop, for the Diocese of Newark, in Grace Church, Newark,
November 18th, 1903.
The Rev. George H. H. Butler was ordered Deacon in Trinity
Church, Hoboken, July 3rd, 1884 and was Assistant to the Rector
from that date until December 1st, 1885.
From the Spring of 1886 until June 13th, 1887 the Rev. George
C. Houghton, Rector of Trinity Church, Hoboken, was also
Rector of S. John's Church, West Hoboken, N. J.
In 1886-1887 the Rev. Charles K. Penney was Assistant to
the Rector, his duties being at S. John's Church, West Hoboken.
On Trinity Sunday June 10th, 1900, in Trinity Church,
Hoboken, Mr. Herbert H. H. Fox was ordered Deacon and the
Rev. James D. Simmons was ordained Priest by the Rt. Rev.
[end page 35]
Thomas Alfred Starkey, D. D., Bishop of the Diocese. The Ser-
mon was preached by the Rector and the Rev. John Keller, the
Rev. Francis L. Frost and the Rector joined in the laying on of
A special Service to inaugurate the new Century was held on
the night of December 31st, 1900. At a quarter of the clock be-
fore twelve, the Choir entered the Church in Procession singing
the Hymn "O God our help in ages past." The ninetieth Psalm
was said, appropriate Prayers were read and the Rector made a
short Address. The Introit was then sung and the Holy Eucharist
was celebrated by the Rector. The Church was filled by a large
The Rev. William Joselin Ehrhard entered upon his duties as
Assistant to the Rector, December 1st, 1902.
Among the many Memorial Gifts received by the Parish, not
spoken of in the fore-going pages, may be mentioned : handsome
Chalice, Paten, Flagon, Ciborium, Spoon, of Silver 1881, Altar
Cross 1884, Lectern Bible 1887, Altar Service Book 1893, Fald
Stool 1893, Oak Choir Wall 1895, Hymnals for Clergy Stalls 1895,
Baptismal Shell 1895, Altar Prayer Book 1899, Chalice and Paten
(silver gilt) 1899, Superfrontal and Antependia of green silk 1899,
Ciborium 1900, Altar Service Book 1900.
On the 20th of July 1884, I began a work of a mission
character in Weehawken, and regular Services have been held
weekly since that date on Sunday afternoon, and a Sunday-school
has been in weekly session, preceding the Church Service. Our
average at the service is 50, and on several occasions there have
been 150 present. The average Sunday School attendance is 87
pupils out of a full number of 116, since Christmas. We have a
Guild of more than 40 members devoted to good works. All
Expenses have been fully met and we have a "surplus" of more
than three hundred dollars in bank towards our Chapel Building
[end page 36]
[plate facing pg 36: The John Stevens Memorial Baptistery, 1896.]
Fund. This is "Trinity Chapel," and under the Rector,Wardens
and Vestrymen of Trinity Parish, and it has thus far been no
expense to the Parish Church. In time and with discreet manage-
ment, this Chapel may be an important centre of Chapel work in
the Diocese. Report of Rector in Diocesan Journal of 1885.
"Resolved, That we officially recognize the mission work
which the Rector has reported as having been carried on by him
during the past nine months in Weehawken, and endorse the
nomination of Trustees for the same made to us by the Rector,
viz., Messrs James M. Erskine, Treasurer, Thomas Hughes,
Secretary, John Johnson, Robert Dixon.
Resolved, That the Trustees thus appointed for the fiscal
year be instructed that no indebtedness incurred by them will be
discharged by the Vestry of Trinity Church, Hoboken, unless the
same be endorsed by them before being incurred, and the Vestry
will not be responsible for the acts of the Trustees, unless they
are in accordance with instructions received from this Corpora-
tion. " Minutes of the Vestry of Trinity Church, Hoboken, April
Trinity Chapel in Weehawken has prospered during the year,
although but one service is held on Sunday with one week-day
Service during Lent. The number of worshippers has increased;
the Sunday-school is limited only by accommodations; and after
paying all expenses the offerings show a surplus of $550, which
amount has been added to the Building Fund, which is now
$800. Report of Rector in Diocesan Journal of 1886.
"In connection with the Church of the Ascension, Jersey
City Heights, a new Mission, at Weehawken, has been taken in
charge by the Board." Report of Archdeacon Holley in Diocesan
"At Weehawken the work resigned into the Bishop's hands
by the Rev. George C. Houghton has been taken up, and is now
being carried on by the Rev. James Cameron." Report of Board
of Missions in Diocesan Journal 1887.
[end page 37]
The Sunday School: 1903.
Superintendent: REV. W. J. EHRHARD.
Secretary : MR. ROBERT ZOELLER.
Treasurer : MR. C. ALFRED BURHORN.
Librarians : MR. IVINS D. APPLEGATE, Jr.
MR. GROVER C. ZOELLER.
Miss Janet Balken, Mr. John Balken, Mr. C. Alfred Burhorn, Mr. Palmer
Campbell, Mr. Garritt Cannon, Miss L. J. Clinton, Miss Adele Crosette, Miss
Emma Elbers, Miss Jennie Frost, Miss Emma Frost, Miss Antoinette Fuchs,
Miss Victoria Griser, Mr. Cecil Hunt, Miss Adelaide Kipp, Miss Harriet
Klein, Mrs. J. G. Lepper, Mr. Freeland Lewis, Miss Mary McEnnery, Miss
Elsie Mehl, Miss Lulu Meylich, Miss Arethusa Perry, Miss Elizabeth Pope,
Miss Grace Pope, Miss May Schieb, Miss Irene Schieb, Miss Wilma Semken,
Miss Edith Sillence, Miss Frances Slater, Miss Violet Spohr, Mr. Albert L.
Stillman,Miss Jennie Stuart, Miss Beatrice Van Zandt, Miss Sada Van Zandt,
Miss Esther West, Miss Annie Zoeller.
Miss M. B. P. Garnett.
Miss E. B. Clinton.
[end page 38]
[plate facing pg 38, interior of sanctuary: Trinity Church, 1903.]
The Choir of Trinity Church: 1903.
Organist and Choirmaster:
CHRISTIAN B. CLARK.
THEODORE BURGHARDT,ROBERT KROLL,
FREDERICK HUDEER,D. P. LE FEVRE.
C. A. BURHORN, V. D. HOLMES,
J. L. COLLERD,CARL RIECK.
J. P. ARCHER,
J. A. FINCK,
T. C. ROBERTS,
C. C. ROBERTS,
[end page 39]
(The Rector is, ex-officio, President of all Societies.)
Warden, Miss M. P. B. GARNETT.
Secretary, MRS. T. B. STILLMAN.
Treasurer, Miss L. E. ROBINSON.
S. Agnes Guild:
Warden, MRS. I. F. MCENNERY.
Vice Warden, Miss EMMA CLAYPOLE.
Secretary, Miss GRACE POPE.
Treasurer, Miss HARRIET KLEIN.
Odds and Ends' Guild:
Warden, MRS. R. C. RENWICK.
Vice Warden, MRS. CHARLES KIMBALL.
Secretary, MRS. VICTOR CHABERT.
Treasurer, MISS JEAN KAUFMAN.
S. Alban's Guild:
Vice President, MR. WALTER POPE.
Secretary, MR. WILLIAM SEESCHAAF.
Treasurer, MR. CARL WICHMAN.
S. Andrew's Brotherhood:
Director, MR. C. A. BURHORN.
Vice Director, MR. PHILIP EURICH.
Secretary, MR. WILLIAM HOUSMAN.
Treasurer, MR. FERDINAND BRUCKHOFF.
[end page 40]
[plate facing pg 40: facsimiles of 4 program pages for 1903 Golden Jubilee.]
Societies: - Continued.
Guild of the Holy Child:
Warden, MRS. HERMAN EPPENS.
Vice Warden, MRS. PALMER CAMPBELL.
Secretary, Miss JENNIE HUGHES.
Treasurer, Miss EDITH STEVENSON.
The Mothers' Meeting:
MRS. A. R. ROACH, MISS M. B. P. GARNETT.
THE INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL:
IN CHARGE OF THE S. AGNES' GUILD.
Directors, MISS M. B. P. GARNETT.
MISS HELEN HERBERT.
The Choir Room:
Director, MRS. R. C. RENWICK.
Assistant Director, Miss MARY MCENNERY.
S. Alban's Orchestra :
Leader, MR. VICTOR HUGO.
Vice President, MR. EDWARD GRIEF.
Secretary, MR. ROBERT ZOELLER.
Treasurer, MR. FLOYD STEWART.
Librarians, MESSRS EMIL LANGE, CHARLES GRANT.
MESSRS EDWIN S. UTLEY, JOHN BALKEN, MAX B. REECE,
VICTOR STAATS, ROBERT KROLL.
[end page 41]
"Minutes of the Corporation," Volume 1. August 24th, 1853 - August 20th, 1872.
"Minutes of the Corporation," Volume II. November 4th, 1872 - November 2nd, 1903.
"The Parish of Trinity Church, Hoboken, N. J." A. D. 1880. Rev. George C. Houghton, D. D.
"The Baptistery of Trinity Church, Hoboken, N.J." A. D. 1896. Rev. George C. Houghton, D. D.
The Cost of Trinity Church
(from the beginning to the time of its Consecration, October 3rd, 1858.)
Ground - - - $7000.00
Architect - - - 250.00
Carpentry - - - 2921.08
Masonry - - - 2686.00
Painting - - -100.00
Gas pipes, fixtures, etc. - 224.13
Ten Windows - - $113.76
Stoves - 102.35
Wood Fence - - 216.93
Flagging and Paving 7th St. - 192.67
Carpet and Matting - 122.19
Total Cost $13,929.11.
(Of this amount all was paid except a portion of the cost of the ground.)
------------------- First 30 Years ------Last 20 Years. -------Total.
Baptisms: 795 828 1623
Confirmations: 417 757 1174
Marriages: 194 367 561
Burials : 406 426 832
Present number of Communicants in good standing, 566.
Offerings and Receipts from September 16th, 1853 to December 30th,
1880, $135,000, From December 30th, 1880 to November 1st, 1903, $236,148.22.
[end page 42]
Graafmeyer Press, Hoboken.
|Year Range from||1853.0|
|Year Range to||1903.0|
Trinity Episcopal Church
700 Washington St.
704 Washington St.
Odd Fellows Hall
Social & Personal Activity