|Title||Poster and guide for Hoboken House Tour, 1981.|
|Collection||Hoboken Parades & Events Collection|
|Scope & Content||
Poster and guide for Hoboken House Tour, Sunday, October 4, 1981. 12" wide x 18" high folded to 6" x 9". Printed both sides, illustrated with photos, map. Three copies.
Ten stops on the tour including seven residences. A benefit for the Hoboken Environment Committee.
See search terms for addresses or names of buildings on tour. Text of the descriptions is in notes.
Text of description of locations on the tour.
A. SACRED HEART ACADEMY / 713 Washington Street
Founded in 1868, the second oldest academy lobe established by the Congregation of the Sisters af Charity in New Jersey, the Academy of the Sacred Heart continues to contribute quality secondary education for young women from Hoboken and nearby communities.
Sacred Heart Academy is the first stop on the tour. While in the building, be sure to see the array of crafts by Hobokenites, all of which are for sole, and other displays that will be of interest to old-house aficionados.
B. 529 WASHINGTON STREET / First and Second Floors
Joe and Pat Narcisos hallway is like a gallery with prints and paintin9s lining the stairway As you enter on the second floor, you will see more of their collections. In the country kitchen ore wood clocks and cookie jars. The counter tops are of ceramic tile the tin ceiling is new and the range is restaurant size Shades of blue and aqua dominate the restful master bedroom, which features oak furniture, a skylight and a woodstove.
The high-ceilinged living/dining room hod once been two small rooms. The mantelpiece is original, but the stunning pier mirror with attached cornices came from a house on Garden Street. The angel near the front windows is from a church in Bayonne. Displays of Toby jugs and other collectibles allow visitors to enjoy and share many of Mrs. Narcisos interests
Downstairs isa suite occupied by Joe Jr. This ingenious layout provides family members with privacy and space of their own. When the brick was being uncovered in the bedroom, the Narcisos discovered a large fireplace, which not even the building's previous owner knew existed.
The family-all life-long Hobokenites-have created a dramatic and comfortable home on the city's main commercial thoroughfare.
C. 638 HUDSON STREET / Ground and Parlor Floors
Dominic Waddington's fine home was featured on the 1978 House Tour shortly after he purchased it, In three years he has created a handsome duplex by combining contemporary furnishings with the exquisite architectural features of this stately corner house. Once a dining room, the ground-floor bedroom is on interesting combination of new built ins contrasting with old paneling woodwork and fireplace The mirrored closet hides the door to what was once a pantry and is now a modern bathroom which you will pass on your way to the custom kitchen.
The parlor floor is one of the most spectacular in Hoboken. The back room, now o snug study, was the music room. Note the musical instruments cast of plaster on the walls and the alcove with a fresco of cherubs. Go through the double stained glass doors to the front parlor When you don t have a lot of furniture in a room like this, you can always call it the ballroom," says Mr. Waddington, who has done this stunning space with period wallpaper The mantelpiece and mirror are of copper bronze and brass Exit through 10 foot doors with beveled and etched glass
D. STEVENS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY / S. C. Williams Library
Built in 1969 this elegant three story library serves the student body of Stevens Institute of Technology and is a repository for art and history of Hoboken as well In the Great Hall are the last mobile ever aone by Alexander Calder, a Stevens alumnus, a kaleidoscope bronze sculpture by Hoboken artist Paul Miller, and a mural of carved and painted linoleum, a technique invented by Pierre Bourdelle. The Special Collections Room features memorabilia of the Stevens family, who endowed the Institute and who were granted the land that is now Hoboken after the American Revolution Especially interesting is the Castle Exhibit on what had been the family home A small portion of Stevens Leonardo do Vinci collection will also be displayed It is the largest scholarly collection of secondary source materiel on Leonardo do Vinci in the Western Hemisphere Engineering models of steam engines, steamships and other technological breakthroughs-many pertinent to Hoboken-ore also on display throughout the library Outside is the largest cost aluminum sculpture in the world it is by Anna Hyatt Huntington Take a few minutes to stroll to Stevens Point beyond the high rise Stevens Center Building for an unparalleled view of the skyscrapers of Manhattan.
E. 910 CASTLE POINT TERRACE / Entire House
Thomas and Betty Glatt, both native Hobokenites, find this handsome, detached house appropriately spacious for their family of six It is a house filled with an abundance of old stained glass sliding doors fine natural woodwork beautiful floors-and touches of modern luxury and convenience Note the original pressed wallcovering in all the halls.
Although most of the-traditional features are original to the house, the Baltimore Stove in the living room came from a basement apartment on Washington Street. The fretwork over the sliding doors between the living and music rooms was cut down from a larger piece.
The formal dining room in the back of the house is paneled in original wood Note the unusual beaded ceiling fixtures. Beyond the new kitchen is a greenhouse, added as a lovely, plant-filled family dining area, overlooking the garden.
The master suite on the second floor boasts a gas log fireplace in the bedroom and a massive walk in closet Pass two children s bedrooms on the left and a fully tiled bathroom with whirlpool on the right-to the library Like the dining room below, it has original wood ceiling and walls. The library ladder is on antique fitted to the bookcases custom-built for the room.
The front and back bedrooms on the top floor are charming hideaways with fabric covered walls antique furniture and sloping ceilings-for two Glatt daughters. The front windows frame a view of the Empire State Building. Also on the top floor are a weight roam and a game room put into constant use by this large, active family.
F. 1005 WASHINGTON STREET / Elks Lodge / Refreshments
- Refreshments, compliments of the Hoboken Environment Committee, are being served in this fine building, which was designed by local architect G B Mcintyre and has been a Washington Street landmark since 1906 Although minutes of two years of Building Committee meetings in this elegant clubhouse constructed for the then-princely sum of $35,000, have been preserved, there are sadly no records of the origin of the magnificent front window and other architectural detail Is The Elks invite tourgoers to go upstairs for a rare look at their historic meeting room-one of the few in the United States decorated and furnished as it was soon after the turn of the century.
Hoboken's lodge was established in 1888, just 19 years after the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks came into being. It is one of the oldest continuously active lodges of this fraternal and Service order in the country.
G. 1038 BLOOMFIELD STREET / Entire House
Jim and Nancy Vance, only the third owners of this handsome brownstone, credit their predecessors, Wilhemina and August Droste, with preserving the exquisite woodwork, parquet floors and plasterwork when the fashion of the day was to "modernize".
The fixture over the dining table-like most in the house-is an antique gas model wired for electricity. The wainscoating is original, but the period wallpaper is new. An architect designed a modern, functional kitchen from old kitchen and pantry space. The wainscoating and fireplace were uncovered during the restoration.
The Vances' diligence in stripping dark varnish from the woodwork and in polishing old brass is evident in the double parlor on the next floor. Gleaming walnut, cornices over the bay windows and an ornate mantelpiece virtually spell "Victorian brownstone". The small angled closets in the bock parlor contain ducts for the central air conditioning.
When wallpaper was removed from the ceiling of the master bedroom on the second floor, traces of original stenciling and the name of the paperhanger who covered it in 1906 were found. The couple will restore this stencil work. The bathroom has an original marble shower stall, mirror and sink-and a reproduction pull-chain toilet. The bock room is a study.
The guest room and bathroom an the third floor are lovely, but the real knockout is the combination both/dressing room/study created from two long, narrow rooms. Tiles from Germany surround the whirlpool, and angled mirrors bring in light from a former airshaft.
A Droste grandchild, now grown, saw the Vances' loving restoration and commented, "Grandma is smiling now!"
H. 1020 GARDEN STREET / Ground and Parlor Floors
Tim and Pat Tuohy's stunning duplex has been on the House Tour before, but its appearance has since changed dramatically. It was recently featured in on article on the Hoboken Renaissance in The New York Times.
The ground floor, featuring zebra-striped flooring, contains a comfortable study. The furniture is from various periods and includes a Victorian sofa and a dental cabinet, one of two in the house. An antique chest divides the food-preparation and dining areas of the beamed country kitchen. Painted ceramic tiles from Japan are in the countertops, and the stained-glass windows over the sink are the first of several you will see custom-made for this duplex.
Upstairs, the spacious double parlor has been painted plum, a color which dramatically sets off the tall wisteria-patterned windows and the elaborate plasterwork ceiling. Although many of Mrs. Tuohy's decorator touches involve imaginative use of antiques, the gargoyles under the arches are, in fact, inexpensive reproductions painted to look like the real thing. A charming bedroom in the rear features a stained-glass door and fretwork installed over the bed.
I. 215 ELEVENTH STREET / Entire House
This narrow house graphically demonstrates how much space there really is in a typical rowhouse. White walls, gleaming floors and touches of exposed brick here and there give a bright, airy feeling to two duplex units.
When looking at Alice Sroquist's contemporary living/dining room, it is difficult to imagine that less than three years ago this space was a dark basement. The cleverly designed plant window was once a coal chute. The sleek, white kitchen opens out to a compact garden.
On the next floor is a cool, restful bedroom. Print fabric, tiled hearth and natural pine floors combine for a simple, and very pleasing, look. The room once contained kitchen fixtures-all but the sink, which was in what is now Ms. Broquist's modern bathroom. Go through the small study to the front hall.
Ms. Broquist's tenants, Roger and Maria Bridgerman, made the stained-glass panels in the French doors which lead to their duplex. Mr. Bridgeman also built the partition separating the kitchen at the top of the. stairs from the dining room, which is furnished with Bridgeman family pieces. Note the lovely marble mantelpiece in the living room.
The Bridgemans' first stained-glass project was the fanlight over the door to the top floor bathroom. The bedroom features several art deco pieces, including the dressing table and bench purchased locally. The back study also serves as music room, guest room and stained-glass workshop.
J. 1124 BLOOMFIELD STREET /
In 1885, Francis Himpler, architect of Hoboken City Hall, Our Lady of Grace Church and other buildings in town and elsewhere, built this home with exquisite attention to Victorian detail, Although subsequently divided into apartments, the house has now been restored as Mr. Himpler surely would have wished.
The chestnut and oak ceiling and walls of the ground-floor dining room had fortunately never been painted. The fireplace works, as do all nine in the house-either by gas or wood. English walnut chairs, circa 1870, surround the custom-built banquet table of green Italian marble.
Go through the butler's pantry to the informal dining room. In a corner is an unusual postmistress's desk. The woodwork, once painted green, has been stripped and the kitchen cabinets built of oak that was milled to match. The pleasant garden in the rear has a roomy patio of old brick with a barbecue pit in the rear.
Although the elegant front parlor on the next floor had once been divided into smaller rooms, the intricate plaster ceiling luckily was not damaged. Note the large kerosene chandelier that lowers on pulleys for lighting. In the rear parlor; rich with restored walnut woodwork, additional paneling has been added to disguise a wet bar, library shelves and a striking marble bath with steam room. The ceiling in this room, now pointed white is walnut and will be stripped and refinished in the near future. The crystal chandelier is a local find from a Jersey City mansion.
As you proceed upstairs, pass through the entrance hail with the original walnut seat, planter and carved fretwork. Note also the working fireplace and its mantel of bronze, brass and copper. The front sitting room on the next floor boasts an original carved mantel of Tennessee marble. A simpler version is in the rear bedroom. A 17th century carved chest from Portugal and a mirrored armoire from the original house furnishings ore significant pieces in this roam. The black marble in the mirrored master bath is a dramatic counterpoint to the seven-foot high stained-glass window.
|Year Range from||1981.0|
|Year Range to||1981.0|
Hoboken Environment Committee
Sacred Heart Academy
529 Washington St.
638 Hudson St.
Stevens Institute of Technology
910 Castle Point Terrace
1005 Washington St.
Elks Club (1005 Washington St.)
1038 Bloomfield St.
1020 Garden St.
215 Eleventh St.
1124 Bloomfield St.
Hoboken Environment Committee
Academy of the Sacred Heart
1024 Washington St.
511 Washington St.
713 Washington St.
237 Washington St.
505 Washington St.
713 Washington St.
|Caption||cover as folded|
Social & Personal Activity