|Title||Map of Hoboken. Issued by First Jersey National Bank, Hoboken, n.d., ca. 1976-1983.|
|Collection||Hoboken Map & Guide Collection|
|Credit||Gift of Arturo & Pat Martinez.|
|Scope & Content||
Map of Hoboken. Issued by First Jersey National Bank, Hoboken, no date, ca. 1976-1983. 17-3/8" wide x 22-1/2" high, folded to ca. 4-1/2" wide x 7-1/2" high.
The map side is a simple map of the city with a key at the bottom along with a photograph of the bank building, a modern concrete structure at 1 Firehouse Plaza, Second and Hudson Sts. Fire house no. 1 and Fire Headquarters were once at this location. There is a plaque commemorating such inside the Hudson St. lobby. Due to bank mergers, Fleet Bank is the current bank that is here [as of 2012, it had become a Bank of America branch.]
The reverse side has six images of Hoboken bordering a "Capsule of Hoboken History" by John J. Heaney, Historian, Hoboken Historical Society (sic). Below this text is a "Newcomer's Guide" which is useful in dating the map. A listing under "Transportation" for Conrail which operated the passenger train service at Hoboken from 1976-1983 (when New Jersey Transit took over the Conrail passenger operations.)
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
Archives 2012.016.0003 Text from history side.
A Capsule of Hoboken History
Hoboken is known as the "Mile Square City", located within the shadow of the Island of Manhattan, having the most convenient means of transportation to and from the world's greatest city. Taking their place on either side of the city are the Lincoln and the Holland Tunnels.
The earliest records pertaining to the City of Hoboken go back to 1609 when Henry Hudson anchored his Half Moon off what is now known as Castle Point. His ship's log relates this recorded by his mate Robert Juet.
The name Hoboken appears for the first time in the original deed signed at Fort Amsterdam on the Island of Manhattan on July 12,1630. Among the many versions of the origin of the name "Hobacan Hackingh", this is the most popular, and means 'land of the tobacco pipe.' The Indians would cross the river for a certain type of stone known as serpentine rock found along the slopes of Castle Point to make bowls for their pipes.
Many prominent men claimed ownership of the Island of Hoboken, and truly in the early days, it was an island. Among the most prominent was Colonel William Bayard. He was a man of great importance with a beautiful home situated on the estate atop the hill of Castle Point. During the American Revolution, he was an ardent patriot. As the tide changed in favor of the British, he became a Tory. His property was burned and he fled to New York.
After the American Revolution, Colonel John Stevens bought Hoboken in 1784. During the American Revolution, he served under General George Washington as the Treasurer of the State of New Jersey. His father, the Honorable John Stevens, held this position before him and was also the Vice President of the New Jersey Council during this crucial period. Colonel Stevens built an elegant mansion on his Castle Point estate known as "Villa Stevens." Aside from his military background, he was a great inventor. His "Little Juliana" was the first vessel to run by steam in 1804, prior to Robert Fulton's steamboat, the Clermont. He was the father of the American Railroad, and the first locomotive to run by steam was his invention on a circular track on his estate in 1825.
Colonel Stevens had several sons and daughters. Among the most prominent were Commodore John Cox Stevens, founder of the New York Yacht Club in Hoboken in 1844. With his brother Edwin and others, he made up a syndicate which owned the yacht "America" famous for winning "The America's Cup." Another son endowed with an inventive mind like his father was Robert L. Stevens. His many inventions included the T-Rail, on which our trains still ride today. Edwin Augustus Stevens was the son his father chose to be the financial manager of his family's holdings. In 1870, in accordance with his Last Will and Testament, a provision was made for the founding of Stevens Institute of Technology. Edwin lived as a squire on his beautiful estate at Castle Point. A magnificent mansion known as Castle Stevens stood on the highest point of the estate looking over New York City and the Hudson River. His wife, Martha Bayard Stevens, was a member of the same Bayard family who were the previous owners of Hoboken. Edwin died in 1867.
With the turn of the century, Hoboken, once so quaint and beautiful, was becoming a city of industry with famous steamship lines along the waterfront. Slowly the lovely River Walk was disappearing, as did the beautiful Elysian Fields in the northern section of the city. Many events of great interest took place in the Elysian Fields, and the most famous of all was the 'First Game of American Baseball to be played in America' in 1846. Today, on this site stands the Maxwell House Division of the General Foods Corporation.
Many famous shipyards like Bethlehem Steel Corporation, Todd and Tietjen [&] Lang have made Hoboken their home. During World War I, Hoboken was a main Port of Embarkation with American soldiers from all over the country leaving Hoboken for Europe. Most famous of the troopships carrying 'doughboys' to France was "The Leviathan." After the war, a great many returned to Hoboken. President Wilson sailed from these piers to attend the League of Nations meeting in Geneva.
Today, Hoboken is living with its beautiful past and looking to the future. Many newcomers are moving into the city, buying the old brownstones and red brick homes with the intention of restoring them to their original beauty. The government through various funding projects is helping to make Hoboken a "model city." With the interest of the new residents and that of the "old timers," Hoboken can truly become the quaint and lovely town that gave it the name in the mid-1850's of "Hoboken the beautiful."
John J. Heaney - Historian
Hoboken Historical Society
Conrail - 643-0120
P. A.T.H. — 434-6100
Transport of N. J. Bus Information — 621-7333
Orange and Black Bus Information — 943-6800
Other Useful Information:
N. J. Bell Telephone Co., 625 Washington Street, Hoboken ............................. 963-9950
Public Service Electric & Gas Co., 615 Washington Street, Hoboken..................... 863-7000
Hoboken Water Department, City Hall, Hoboken....................................... 420-2078
Board of Education, 1115 Clinton Street, Hoboken...................................... 420-2162
Hoboken Public Library, 5th Street & Park Avenue, Hoboken............................ 420-2346
Hoboken-North Hudson Chamber of Commerce, 70 Hudson Place, Hoboken............. 659-0500
Police, Fire Department, Volunteer Ambulance......................................... 911
Saint Mary Hospital, 308 Willow Avenue, Hoboken...................................... 792-3300
Y.M. — Y.W.C.A., 1301 Washington Street, Hoboken.................................... 963-4100
Hoboken Arts Council, P.O. Box M-528, Hoboken....................................... 963-0103
Hoboken Environment Committee, P.O. Box M-252, Hoboken ........................... 963-0353
Heaney, John J.
|Year Range from||1976|
|Year Range to||1983|
1 Firehouse Plaza
Fire Dept - Engine Company 1
First Jersey National Bank
Business & Commerce
Banking & Financial Structures