Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Booklet: The Lackawanna. "The Route of Phoebe Snow" 1851-1951. A Centenary Address. Wm. White. Newcomen Society, 1951.
Object Name Pamphlet
Catalog Number 2011.005.0251
MULTIMEDIA LINKS CLICK HERE to view the PDF; note - please be patient while file opens.
Collection Hoboken Railroad Collection
Credit Museum Collections. Gift of a friend of the Museum.
Scope & Content The Lackawanna. "The Route of Phoebe Snow" 1851-1951. A Centenary Address. William White. Published by the Newcomen Society in North America, 1951. Second printing, October 1951 (same month as first printing.)

Booklet, 6" x 9", 40 pp., illustrated (frontispiece, black-and-white cuts.) PDF on file.

White was the President of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad and delivered this address on the centennial of the founding of the D.L. & W. to the Society at a Luncheon at the The Pierre [Hotel], New York City on October 26, 1951.

Useful historical sketch of this railroad including background on directors past and present. Full text of introduction of White and his address starts below and continues in notes:


WHEN Bill White became President of The Lackawanna
Railroad in January 1941, he was not yet forty-four -
at that time, the youngest President of a Class 1 rail-
road in the United States of America. A railroad man since 1913,
he had spent twenty-five years with the Erie and knew virtually
every operating job on that road when he left, in 1938, to become
Vice-President and General Manager of the Virginian Railway.
As he tells you the Lackawanna's story and describes the early
years, I hope that he will not pass too lightly over the accomplish-
ments of the past decade during which dieselization, mechanization,
and the development of a young and extremely able executive
group have been carried out with notable success.
Should he mention the recapitalization program which solved
a difficult financial problem and made it possible to simplify the
| 5 |
Railroad's corporate and capital structure, he will probably minimize
his own part. He was not trained in finance, but his grasp
of the intricate legal and financial questions involved was in a very
large measure responsible for the exceptionally successful result.
Although he has been its President for only ten of its hundred
years, yet his imagination and leadership have in a very real sense
built The Lackawanna of today.
It is my great privilege to introduce the President of The Delaware,
Lackawanna & Western Railroad Company, my very dear
friend: WILLIAM WHITE of New York.
| 6 |
[start of William White address]
My fellow members of Newcomen:
In 1851, the population of the United States of America was
23,000,000; of what is now New York City was 700,000;
the President of the United States was Millard Fillmore, a
native of Buffalo, which now is the western terminus of the Lackawanna.
The fact, Mr. Chairman, that so many corporations now are
observing their first century of service to the American People
would indicate that 1851 was a time of great activity in the growth
and development of our Country. The Erie, Illinois Central, and
Missouri Pacific Railroads, the Singer Sewing Machine Company,
Corning Glass Works, and "The New York Times," to name a
few, are observing centennials this year. The Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad - "Route of Phoebe Snow" - is observing its centennial this month. It had its small beginning in
I 7 |
1851, and operated the first train on October 15, 1851 over the
segment of line first completed.
Most of the railroads in this Country grew from small beginnings
and in their present form are the result of acquisitions and
consolidations that merged them into larger systems. The Lacka-
wanna is no exception to this general rule. It had its beginning as
the Ligett's Gap Railroad, built westwardly from what now is
Scranton, 56 miles to Great Bend, on the Susquehanna River, there
to connect with the then recently completed New York and Erie
Railroad and operate its trains over that railroad from there to
Owego, New York, where it would connect with the Cayuga and
Susquehanna Railroad and operate over it from Owego to Ithaca,
on the shores of Lake Cayuga, so that anthracite coal could find an
access to the markets which existed along the Lake and in northern
New York. The Ligett's Gap Railroad never ran a train! Just be-
fore operations began, its name was changed to that of the Lacka-
wanna and Western Railroad, and only a few years later to The
Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad Company. The
word "Lackawanna" in its name derives from the Lackawanna
Valley where Scranton is located and through which the Lacka-
wanna River runs. The "and Western" of course derives from
the fact that it was to go West out of the Lackawanna Valley. The
word "Delaware" derives from the Delaware River. The name
of our Company has never since been changed; there has been no
occasion because it is one of the few railroads in the Country that
never has passed through receivership or bankruptcy, despite a
few narrow escapes.
Before the Ligett's Gap Railroad was completed, the more im-
portant subscribers to its stock realized the necessity for reaching
the eastern markets with their anthracite coal, and projected the
Delaware and Cobb's Gap Railroad, from Scranton east through
the Delaware Water Gap, and beyond to a point on the Delaware
River near what now is Portland, Pennsylvania. It, like the
Ligett's Gap Railroad, never operated a train! Before it was completed
it was merged with the Lackawanna and Western, and the
| 8 |
merged companies became The Delaware, Lackawanna and West-
ern Railroad. 'Some years later, The Delaware, Lackawanna and
Western acquired the Lackawanna and Bloomsburg Railroad,
which extended from Scranton southward along the Lackawanna
and Susquehanna Rivers to Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania; later
extended to Northumberland, where it connects with The
Pennsylvania Railroad.
It is an oddity that The Delaware, Lackawanna and Western -
Railroad as a corporate entity remained within the confines of the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania until 1945, when the first of its
numerous leased lines was merged with the parent company. Al-
though the system as it exists today took final form in 1882, when
it was extended from Binghamton to Buffalo, yet it was not until
the 194.0's that all its leased lines-18 in number-were acquired
either by purchase of stock or by merger, and were consolidated
into the parent company, so that today all of the railroad is owned
in the name of The Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad,
as will appear later.
The building of a railroad west from Slocum's Hollow (now
Scranton) in the Lackawanna Valley was envisioned as far back
as 1831. William Henry, an eminent geologist of that day, be-
came interested in coal lands in the vicinity of Slocum's Hollow
and took up options on the land. Henry Drinker, a former Sur-
veyor General of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, was the in-
heritor of some 25,000 acres of wild land of what now is the
Pocono Mountains and appears to have been what we call a pro-
moter. Thomas Meredith, a surveyor and promoter who had been
interested in several railroad projects, envisioned a railroad from
the Lackawanna Valley northwestwardly into the already pros-
perous agricultural area of Southern and Western New York, with
its more than 1,000,000 inhabitants. Meredith went to Drinker
with his idea and the plan came to light when a group of New York
and Pennsylvania citizens gathered together in a railroad conven-
tion held at Ithaca, New York, in May 1831. These citizens agreed
to act as missionaries for a railroad line from the Lackawanna
Valley coal fields to Owego, New York, via Great Bend on the
| 9 |
[see notes for continuation]
Notes Selected text from Archives 2011.005.0251:
The Lackawanna. "The Route of Phoebe Snow" 1851-1951. A Centenary Address. William White. Published by the Newcomen Society in North America, 1951.

| 9 |
Susquehanna River. Henry Drinker and William Henry both
were present at the Ithaca meeting, and Henry Drinker was
authorized to go to New York to raise capital for the railroad
project but without success. William Henry, the geologist, had
insufficient money of his own and no financial connections, but he
continued to renew options on the coal lands from time to time and
never gave up. Out of this Ithaca convention was born a railroad
from Ithaca, on Lake Cayuga, to Owego, on the Susquehanna
River, which was completed in 1834 and over which cars were
hauled by horses. After a few years a steam engine was purchased,
but it went through a bridge into a creek, and the Ithaca and
Owego went back to being horse-hauled.
New York State had loaned $300,000 for the building of this
railroad and the purchase of equipment. When the line failed to
meet two years' interest charges, the State foreclosed and, in 1842,
it was put up at auction and sold for $18,000. It was reorganized
as the Cayuga and Susquehanna Railroad Company and was
purchased by George Scranton and William E. Dodge in 1848, for
$50,000. They had by that time become interested in the anthra-
cite coal fields and in the project for a railroad out of the coal
fields. Their object in purchasing was to reach a more northern
market for the product of the Scranton anthracite coal fields, which
they knew was also to be the chief source of revenue of the Ligett's
Gap Railroad, promotion and establishment of which then was
progressing. George Scranton undertook to get the Cayuga and
Susquehanna in working order, which he did in about a year, as a
coal carrier that brought in a steady profit and was leased in per-
petuity to The Delaware, Lackawanna and Western, in April 1855.
If there is one man who may be called the "father" of The
Lackawanna Railroad, it is George Whitfield Scranton, for whose
family the City of Scranton is named. It was through William
Henry, the geologist, that he became interested in the coal lands
around Slocum's Hollow.
I 10 ]
George Whitfield Scranton was born in Connecticut in 1811,
and died at Scranton, the City he virtually founded, in 1861, at
the early age of 50. When only 17 years old, George Scranton
went to live in the Village of Belvidere, New Jersey, on the Dela-
ware River, and to take employment in one of the general stores
operated by John I. Blair (later to become a railroad pioneer) and
his brother. An apprenticeship to a Blair in the mercantile field in
those times was equivalent to an offer nowadays of an apprentice-
ship in Macy's or in Marshall Field's. George Scranton came to be
known and appreciated by John Blair, whose home was at Gravel
Hill, the name of which later was changed to Blairstown, in his
honor. The Blairs recognized ability when they saw it, and in or-
der to keep George Scranton at their side gave him a partnership in
their business before he was 24 years old. Soon, however, he had
sold his interest in the Blair store to take up the cultivation of land,
at which he prospered.
George Scranton had a brother, Selden, who took up a store
clerkship in Philadelphia. From this he went to an iron foundry,
of which he became manager and, thus employed, became ac-
quainted with William Henry, the geologist, and married Henry's
In the vicinity of George Scranton's farmlands there had been
operating for a number of years the Oxford Furnace, that had
made cannon balls for Washington's Army during the Revolutionary
War, and still later for the Union Army in the War between
the States. The Oxford Furnace was for sale. Selden Scranton,
recognizing the pressing need for nails-plain ordinary nails-
decided that if he could acquire the Oxford Furnace he would
make nails out of bar iron. In those days nails were scarce; there
was no mass production, and there was a good market. Selden
Scranton easily convinced his brother George as to the future of
nails and together they acquired the Oxford Furnace and a mansion
to live in, for $10.000. George Scranton's interest, however, was
not only nails. Railroads were building in the Country, built
I 11 I
largely of strap rail. The crying need was for iron rail-the T rail -
made then only in England and imported into this Country.
The Scrantons' operation of the Oxford Furnace was successful
and their nails became well known. However, times were hard
and payments were slow. They needed capital, but the banks would
let them have money only if they could be taken in as partners.
This the Scrantons would not do; rather, they turned to their
friend, John I. Blair, and took him in as a partner, and partners
they were in many later ventures.
The charter for the Ligett's Gap Railroad was held by Dr.
Andrew Bedford, a country doctor, who renewed it every five
years. Dr. Bedford advised William Henry, the geologist, to go
to Oxford Furnace and try to persuade the Scranton brothers (one
of them his son-in-law) to provide the money to take up the op-
tions which Henry held at Slocum's Hollow, and to build a blast
furnace. Iron was being made with anthracite coal in Wales and at
Pottsville, Pennsylvania, so why not at Slocum's Hollow? Here
was an opportunity for George Scranton to make iron rails. The
brothers easily were persuaded. Philip H. Mattes, who owned a
tract of land not far away from Slocum's Hollow on which were
iron ore veins, was invited into a partnership, and thus was or-
ganized the firm of Scrantons, Grant & Company to make iron at
Slocum's Hollow. In 1842, the operation was successfully
launched, but the orders for T-rails which George Scranton had
counted on so heavily were not forthcoming. Other people were
brought into the venture, including two cousins of the Scranton
brothers, also named Scranton, who were businessmen of Augusta,
Georgia. They expressed interest in the iron works and were in-
vited to Slocum's Hollow. The stock of the original company was
increased to build a rolling mill and to make additional products.
George and Selden Scranton became permanent residents of the
settlement, the name of which was then changed to "Scrantonia."
Joseph C. Piatt married a sister of George and Selden Scranton,
and he became a partner of the firm and the name was changed to
Scrantons-Platt Company.
I 12 I
In earlier days, Henry Drinker and William Henry had tried
to interest Anson G. Phelps, one of the partners of Phelps, Dodge
& Company, to put money into their venture; but Phelps was not
convinced that it was a good investment. In 1846, Phelps, Dodge
& Company were financiers, copper and dry goods merchants. Wil-
liam E. Dodge, son-in-law of Anson G. Phelps, was one of the
partners; and he was also purchasing agent of the New York and
Erie Railroad and one of its directors. He had been buying T-rails
from England, but suddenly the source of supply was shut off be-
cause England's first great railroad expansion was taking place and
the British railroads had secured a priority on iron. The New York
State Legislature had passed a bill donating to the New York and
Erie Railroad the sum of $3,000,000 for right-of-way purchase
and construction, but there was a condition to the gift. The line had
to be completed from Port Jervis to Binghamton by a certain date.
One year of that time remained.
Anson G. Phelps had followed the fortunes of the Scranton
brothers and knew they were experimenting with the manufacture
of T-rail. When the supply of rail from England was shut off,
Phelps suggested to Dodge that he go to Scranton to look over
the plant and, if the operations seemed successful, to invite the
Scrantons to New York. Mr. Dodge's report was favorable,
especially since the Scranton brothers had 2,000 tons of T-rail on
hand. A contract was made whereby the Scrantons-Platt Company
would furnish 12,000 tons of rail at $46 a ton, delivered to the
Erie rail head as it moved. The order required the building of a
second furnace and the Scrantons were broke. But they had 2,000
tons of rail on hand and Mr. Dodge arranged with the Erie to de-
liver a check for $100,000 in advance so that the Scrantons-Platt
Company could expand. Within a year they had added three more
furnaces and their rail business was successfully launched. In an-
other year the capital of the company was increased and, among
others, Anson G. Phelps and William E. Dodge climbed aboard
the bandwagon, and more orders from the Erie bobbed up. Others
who climbed on that same bandwagon at that time were John I.
Blair and Benjamin Loder, President of the Erie. The Erie was
completed on time!
| 13 |
The Scrantons and their brother-in-law, Joseph C. Piatt, now
were in fast company, with the biggest rail foundry in the Country
and coal and iron deposits spread across 10,000 acres of company
land. With weaker men, it is likely that the plant and acreage
would have been gobbled up, as were many businesses and indus-
tries in those hard and ruthless days. But Phelps and Dodge had
measured the Scrantons and realized that they could not do without them.
From making rails to building railroads was logical progress so
far as George Scranton was concerned. He became interested in
mining and transporting coal rather than iron. Geologists had told
him that iron ore was exhaustible and that coal seemed to be in-
exhaustible. Also, digging coal was simpler and easier than pud-
dling iron. There were markets for coal over the rapidly expanding
Nation, but it had to be made available easily and there was only
one answer - a railroad.
He acquired the charter of the Ligett's Gap Railroad from Dr.
Bedford and, at the same time, set out rebuilding the Cayuga and
Susquehanna Railroad. At a meeting in Scranton, in March 1849,
5,026 shares of stock were subscribed for at $50 a share, a total
of $251,300. The Ligett's Gap Railroad was organized. John J.
Phelps, a New York financier and distant cousin of Anson G.
Phelps, was elected its first president, and William E. Dodge,
although a director of the Erie, became also a member of the Board
of Managers of the Ligett's Gap Railroad and, as you will recall,
was associated with George Scranton in the ownership of the
Cayuga and Susquehanna Railroad. George Scranton was general
agent and builder of the road. The confidence which the Board of
Managers and the stockholders had in George Scranton is exempli-
fied in the early minutes of the Ligett's Gap Railroad, because he
was given wide latitude and authority in letting contracts for the
building of the road and for purchase of the equipment.
Even before acquisition of the Ligett's Gap charter, George
Scranton and William E. Dodge had acquired the right of passage
over the Erie tracks between Great Bend and Owego, and this
| 14 |
apparently was not difficult with William E. Dodge sitting as a
director of the Erie.
George Scranton's plans now were crystallizing; he and his
associates had acquired the Cayuga and Susquehanna; they had
trackage rights over the Erie between Owego and Great Bend;
and the Ligett's Gap Railroad was building between Great Bend
and Scranton. Thus it would be possible to transport anthracite
coal out of the Lackawanna Valley to Ithaca, on Lake Cayuga,
where it would be dumped on barges for transportation over Lake
Cayuga into northern New York.
To the east of Scranton, George Scranton envisioned the Dela-
ware and Cobb's Gap line, the charter of which was covered with
mildew, so as to transport coal to the eastern seaboard markets, and
he already was working on the Cobb's Gap plan when he began to
build the Ligett's Gap road.
Construction of the two railroads, Ligett's Gap and Cobb's Gap,
was not easy. The territory presented many physical obstacles, as
the country was mountainous. The building of many fills and
trestles, and grades up to 80 feet to the mile, were necessary. But
despite physical difficulties, building continued apace and, on
October 15, 1851, the first train was operated from Great Bend to
Scranton. It was run for the accommodation of the New York
members of the Board of Managers, who arrived at Great Bend
on a regular Erie Railroad train. That first run of 56 miles, with
the Managers and well-wishers aboard, took about three hours, in-
cluding two stops for wood and water. A great crowd of people
awaited the arrival of the special at Scranton. President Phelps and
George Scranton made speeches, and William E. Dodge offered
a prayer of thanks to Almighty God. The road was opened for
regular traffic on October 20, 1851, and thus was born what is
today The Lackawanna Railroad.
An interesting sidelight at this juncture is how some of the
affairs of The Lackawanna Railroad became the subject of an in-
| 15 |
vestigation by the Presbyterian Church in New York, from 1859
to 1863. I have previously referred to Anson G. Phelps and Wil-
liam E. Dodge, his son-in-law, who were partners in Phelps,
Dodge & Company. In fact, quite a number of the early meetings
of the Board of Managers of the Lackawanna were held in the
offices of Phelps, Dodge & Company, at New York. Associated
with Anson G. Phelps in some undertakings were a couple of mer-
chants who belonged to the other side of his family, John J. and
George D. Phelps. Both of them were presidents of the Lacka-
wanna in its early days, while William E. Dodge also was a mem-
ber of the Board. George D. Phelps seems to have been a highly
ethical man. Some of his policies were novel. For one thing, he
objected to the then accepted practice of buying coal from a sub-
sidiary for less than market price and paying rebates to the sub-
sidiary coal company on freight charges on coal carried by the
railroad. In this, of course, he was only following the line of
thought by the United States Government, some fifty years later,
when rebating was outlawed, but Mr. Phelps appears to have been
an unpopular agitator of his time. He was one of a breed, how-
ever, which had the strength of its convictions. He shocked the
Board by demanding that the bylaws be revised to permit the
appointment of an auditor. William E. Dodge, in addition to being
his associate on the Board of Managers, was a next-door neighbor
and they used a common driveway. Both were devout Presby-
terians and Mr. Dodge was an early leader in the cause of temper-
ance. In fact, from 1865 until his death in 1883, he was President
of the National Temperance Society. As neighbors, a little trouble
arose about Mr. Dodge dumping his coal in the common driveway,
but after the matter had gotten into court they agreed to drop it.
But Phelps sold his house and moved away.
Phelps got into difficulties with John I. Blair about a loan that
Phelps had made to the company, for which he collected a com-
mission. Phelps made certain charges against Dodge and Blair, but
the Board of Managers, after appointing a committee to investigate
the charges, found against Mr. Phelps. Mr. Phelps did not let
the matter rest there; he continued to publish books and pamphlets
| 16 |
about the whole business and, toward the end of 1859, dumped the
whole matter into the lap of the Presbyterian Church. The only
member of the Railroad's Board of Managers who was also a
member of Mr. Phelp's church, where the proceedings had to
originate, was the long-suffering William E. Dodge, and he
seemed to be made to order. Before a Session of the Madison
Square Presbyterian Church, and in subsequent hearings before the
Fourth Presbytery of New York, and, finally on appeal to the
Synod of New York and New Jersey, these proceedings dragged
along from 1859 to 1863, sharing attention with the Battles of
Shiloh and Gettysburg. The finding of the Presbyterian Church,
however, was "that in view of all the circumstances of the case, and
in the exercise of the discretion enjoined upon the Session in our
book of discipline, it is inexpedient for the Session to entertain the
charges and specifications of Mr. Phelps against Mr. Dodge, and
that the same are hereby dismissed. . . ."
This was probably the only time in American history when a
church was asked to go into matters having to do with the manage-
ment of a railroad. Mr. Phelps kept up his campaign until his
death, in the 1880's, and the Lackawanna, unsanctified but
un-condemned, has continued on its non-ecclesiastical way.
With the building of the Cobb's Gap Railroad east from Scran-
ton to the Delaware River, there still remained the problem of
getting anthracite coal to the Eastern Seaboard markets. The
Morris and Essex Railroad was operating between Hoboken and
Morristown, New Jersey, having been opened for service in November
1836. It had secured an amendment to its charter permitting it
to build from Morristown through Dover and Hackettstown to a
point on the Delaware River at or ne
John I. Blair was not associated with the Morris and Essex
Railroad and he didn't like what he saw. As he saw things, the
Morris and Essex would eventually engulf the Lackawanna, or
vice-versa, and he was after the Morris and Essex 5 but he played
I 17 |
a cat and mouse game. He secured a charter to build the Warren
Railroad from a point of connection with The Delaware, Lacka-
wanna and Western on the Delaware River to a connection with
the Central Railroad of New Jersey, at Hampton. Thus he
forestalled the Morris and Essex from building to Delaware Water
Gap, and the Lackawanna made arrangements with the Central
Railroad of New Jersey to handle its coal and other freight from
Hampton to Elizabethport, on New York Harbor. The Warren
Railroad was leased in perpetuity to the Lackawanna, in 1857, and
thus, through the arrangement with the Central of New Jersey,
coal could be transported to the eastern market.
An attempt then was made to merge the Lackawanna and the
Central Railroad of New Jersey, but this failed and perhaps not
to the detriment of the Lackawanna, because shortly thereafter
the Central Railroad of New Jersey went into bankruptcy. Failure
of the merger, however, caused the Lackawanna people to become
interested in the Morris and Essex, which had been forestalled by
John I. Blair from building its line to or near the Delaware Water
Gap. In 1868, the Morris and Essex was leased to the Lackawanna
in perpetuity and John I. Blair's fears that the Morris and Essex
would engulf the Lackawanna did not materialize.
The Lackawanna meanwhile extended its holdings of anthracite
coal lands and, in addition to engaging in the railroad business,
engaged in the coal mining business, and continued to expand
In 1870, the line was extended westwardly from a point near
the New York-Pennsylvania State line at Hallstead, Pennsylvania,
to Binghamton, New York, a distance of 11 miles. The Valley
Railroad Company was formed for this purpose and, having been
built out of the Company's earnings, its stock was issued to the
stockholders of the Lackawanna, and the Valley leased to the
Lackawanna in perpetuity. This provided a connection at Bing-
hamton with the Syracuse, Binghamton & New York Railroad,
which likewise was leased by the Lackawanna 5 and, through the
| 18 |
medium of a lease of the Oswego and Syracuse Railroad, the lines
of the Lackawanna were extended to Oswego, on Lake Ontario.
For the first time, Lackawanna was able to reach one of the
Great Lakes, providing enlarged markets for its anthracite coal.
At about the same time there were built the Greene Railroad, and
the Utica, Chenango & Susquehanna Valley Railroad, providing a
line from Binghamton to Utica, and, as in other cases, these were
leased in perpetuity.
Into the picture then moved a man all-powerful in financial
circles in New York City. He was Moses Taylor, President of
The National City Bank of New York. He was a heavy investor
in coal lands in the anthracite region. A year after the completion
of the Ligett's Gap Railroad, he had arranged the incorporation
and financing of the Lackawanna & Bloomsburg Railroad
Company between Scranton and Bloomsburg, tapping the Wyoming
Valley coal fields and connecting at Scranton with the Lackawanna,
with which it was merged, in 1873.
Moses Taylor became a member of the Lackawanna Board in
January 1854, and continued in that capacity until May 1882.
He was a powerful influence in the affairs of the Lackawanna and
his memory still is revered by its employees, who are the bene-
ficiaries of his generosity in providing for them a hospital at Scran-
ton, which he and succeeding members of his family have endowed.
The Moses Taylor Hospital today provides free hospitalization for
employees of the Lackawanna Railroad and of the Glen Alden
Coal Company at Scranton, and to employees of the Bethlehem
Steel Company at its Lackawanna plant at Buffalo, through a
branch of the Hospital there.
You may remember that earlier I told about the origin of the
iron business at Scranton, through Scrantons-Platt Company.
Those people also were engaged in the mining of coal, but eventu-
| 19 |
ally the Lackawanna Railroad Company took over both the coal
lands and the mining business; and the iron business became the
Lackawanna Iron & Coal Company. Because of the lack of ore, that
company was moved to Buffalo, in 1902, where it became the
Lackawanna Iron & Steel Company, later to become a part of
Bethlehem Steel Company.
Had it not been for Moses Taylor the Lackawanna may never
have gotten farther West than Binghamton. During the
Depression in the 1870's the market price of Lackawanna stock dropped
severely and Jay Gould, of Erie renown, bought heavily of Lacka-
wanna stock. While he was on his buying spree, working under
cover as much as possible, Moses Taylor heard of it and went out
into the market to pick up everything still loose. He secured a con-
trolling interest and thus checkmated Gould, but Gould became a
member of the Lackawanna Board, in February 1881, and re-
mained on the Board for seven years. A railroad, to Jay Gould,
was always something on a chessboard. He was in control of the
Wabash, Missouri Pacific, and other railroads. The Wabash came
into Buffalo and Gould sought an outlet at Buffalo for Wabash
business. Some historians of the Gould railroad era have referred
to the Lackawanna as a "Gould property." This never was the
case, but things might have been different had Moses Taylor not
been so energetic. The story is that Gould inspired the building of
the line from Binghamton to Buffalo, but that it was born of a
desire to be avenged over the dismissal of himself and Jim Fisk
from the Board of the Erie, in 1872, when he and Fisk had been
compelled to make restitution of some $5,000,000 gathered in
from the fraudulent sale of Erie stock. It developed that Gould's
objectives were somewhat different than that of other managers
of the Lackawanna. It was his idea that the separately-incorporated
New York, Lackawanna and Western, built from Binghamton to
Buffalo, should be leased to the Wabash instead of to the Lacka-
wanna, but he met frustration through the foresightedness of
Moses Taylor and Samuel Sloan, who was by then the Lacka-
wanna's President. They were able to prevent it.
| 20 |
Thus, in 1882, when the New York, Lackawanna and Western
was leased to the Lackawanna, the system was complete, with the
shortest line from New York to Buffalo and with its principal
branches extending southward from Scranton through the anthracite
coal fields to Northumberland, Pennsylvania, and from Bing-
hamton northwardly via one line to Syracuse and Oswego, on Lake
Ontario, and via another line northeasterly to Utica, connecting
with The New York Central.
Thereafter began a golden era for the Lackawanna, which lasted
from the middle 1880's until 1930. Its emergence from just a coal
carrier was rapid. In just a few years its passenger revenues
doubled and its general merchandise revenue more than doubled,
while its coal revenue continued to increase. Earnings were plowed
back into the property and were charged against income, instead of
being charged to investment account and thus building up the
Moses Taylor was instrumental in bringing Samuel Sloan in as
a member of the Board of Managers, in 1864, and as its president,
in 1867. He continued as president for 32 years, until March
1899; and, on the Ferry Plaza at Hoboken, is a statue erected in
his honor, which he well deserved. He had to give up his formal
schooling at the age of fourteen because of the sudden death of his
father, and went to work for a linen importing firm, of which he
later became a partner; and his success was such that his name
became known to important merchants and financial men in New
York. He invested heavily in rail securities and, in 1855, owned
enough stock of the Hudson River Railroad (now a part of The
New York Central) to get himself elected to the Board of Man-
agers, and shortly thereafter its President.
His tenure lasted for only three years, however, until Commodore
Vanderbilt got control of the Hudson River line. Sloan was
offered the presidency of Vanderbilt's Harlem Railroad, but he
declined. For a few years Mr. Sloan acted as arbitrator and com-
| 21 |
missioner of the trunk lines - the Erie, Pennsylvania, Baltimore
and Ohio, and New York Central-which were operating on a
policy of dog-eat-dog; and, during those years, he formed a con-
nection with The National City Bank, of which he became a di-
rector. Thus he was thrown into contact with Moses Taylor.
With the advent of Samuel Sloan, all hit-and-miss operations
went into the discard. The new policy was to run trains on time,
keep roadbed and rolling stock in repair, and to observe to the
letter contracts with shippers of freight and buyers of coal. The
depression years following the War between the States were diffi-
cult ones. The rate wars among the railroads and rebates to ship-
pers made for chaos. Sloan secured an agreement between the
railroads and the coal shippers with respect to freight rates and
coal prices, which helped for a time. But these finally were broken
and it was the breaking of that agreement that caused most of the
anthracite roads to get into trouble, in the 1870's.
The extension of the Lackawanna to Buffalo, in 1882, put it
in position to compete with trunk line railroads for general
traffic. But the Lackawanna was not without its enemies. The Erie
didn't forget the building of the line through to Buffalo, and the
Central Railroad of New Jersey was still irked by John I. Blair's
tactics which resulted in the construction of the Warren Railroad
and the lease of the Morris and Essex. Matters were even worse
in the coal business than they were in the railroad business. Despite
all of the difficulties, Samuel Sloan guided its affairs with great
One of the handicaps suffered by the Lackawanna was its broad
gauge of 6 feet. During its association with the Central Railroad of
New Jersey, it had to lay a third rail, as it had to do also with some
of its smaller leased lines which had been built to standard gauge
of 4 feet 8 1/2 inches. In March 1876, a twenty-four hour holiday
was called on all traffic. The Lackawanna proceeded with a
gigantic army of tracklayers to change from broad gauge to standard
| 22 |
gaug; and accomplished it in a forty-eight hour period. It was
an amazing feat and cost a million and a quarter dollars; but then
the Lackawanna became a standard gauge railroad. Its position
in the coal trade was enviable, not only as a carrier for hire but as
owner of some of the best deposits of anthracite.
Samuel Sloan, like many of his contemporaries, was a good
Presbyterian, and one of the oddities of his administration was that
no trains ran on Sundays, until after he resigned in 1899.
During his incumbency Mr. Sloan also was president of the
Michigan Central for two years, beginning in June 1876. For
several years he also was president of the Pere Marquette Rail-
road of Michigan; of the Fort Wayne and Jackson Railroad of
Indiana; the Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg Railroad of New
York; and of the International-Great Northern Railroad of Texas.
To us of the present day, accustomed as we are to prohibition
against interlocking directorates, this is a strange paradox. It is
evidence, however, of the acumen and ability of Samuel Sloan,
whose imprint upon the Lackawanna will forever remain. He com-
pleted its building and established it as a highly profitable concern.
William H. Truesdale became President in March 1899, suc-
ceeding Mr. Sloan. He was the first Lackawanna president not to
have been an importer, banker, or engaged in some other business.
He had been in the railroad business for 30 years: in the mid-
West as President of the Minneapolis & St. Louis, and Vice-Presi-
dent of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, from which latter he
came to the Lackawanna.
Mr. Truesdale foresaw the need of a great rebuilding job.
Parts of the line were not adapted to fast freight or fast passenger
service. It had too many adverse grades and too many curves. If
the Lackawanna was to compete in point of service, a vast program
of expenditure had to be undertaken. The line from Buffalo to
Binghamton had been well built} but the old Ligett's Gap Rail-
| 23 |
road from Scranton to Great Bend was a crooked piece, and the
line from the Delaware River to a point near Dover, New Jersey,
was crooked, lengthy, and hilly.
That part of the line from Clarks Summit (7 miles west of
Scranton) to Hallstead, a distance of 39 miles, had to be virtually
rebuilt on a new grade, with new cuts, new fills, viaducts, and a
tunnel. It was a job of tremendous magnitude, through rugged
mountainous country, but it was carried to completion between
1912 and 1915.
A magnificent feat of engineering was involved in this recon-
struction, known as The Tunkhannock Viaduct. It not only is
the largest concrete railroad bridge ever built, but one of the most
graceful structures in the world.
The Tunkhannock is reminiscent of the old bridge Pont du
Gard, which was built nineteen centuries ago by the Romans, and
is one of the finest examples of Roman masonry, and probably
never will be duplicated. The bridge fills the eye as it fills the Gard
Valley, in France, and sightseers stop a quarter of a mile away to
gaze up at it.
The Pont du Gard gets its altitude through three tiers of arches
of diminishing size. Tunkhannock has two tiers, but the effect is
the same. They give the impression of being afloat in the air. Pont
du Gard is 870 feet long; but Tunkhannock is nearly three times
that. Pont du Gard is nearly 160 feet high; but Tunkhannock is
240 feet. It was designed by George J. Ray and built under his
supervision as Chief Engineer, when he was still a young man.
Mr. Ray had charge also of the building of what is known as the
New Jersey Cutoff, and to him must be given great credit for two
splendid engineering jobs, the like of which come to few men. He
retired as vice-president in charge of operations in March 1946,
and the monuments that he has constructed will leave his imprint
upon the Lackawanna for many years to come.
What was the old line of the Lackawanna west of Scranton was
sold to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for $1.00 as a high-
| 24 |
way. Now it is a concrete highway following the old railroad line
on what for an automobile are easy grades and wide curves. Over
this road, in 1916, came Theodore Dreiser on his "Hoosier Holi-
day." In his book he wrote: "North of Factoryville a little way,
we encountered one of those amazing works of man which, if they
become numerous enough, eventually make a country a great
memory . . . . We were coming around a curve near Nicholson,
Pennsylvania, approaching a stream which traverses this great
valley, when across it from ridge's edge to ridge's edge suddenly
appeared a great white stone or concrete viaduct or bridge-we
could not tell at once, which--a thing so colossal and impressive
that we instantly stopped the car so that we might remain and gaze
at it . . . . Here at Nicholson, in a valley celebrated for nothing in
particular and at the edge of a town of no size, we stood before
this vast structure, gazing in a sort of awe. Those arches! How
really beautiful they were! How symmetrically planned! And the
smaller arches above, how delicate and lightsomely graceful! How
could they carry a heavy train so high in the air? We learned it
was the work of a great railroad corporation. It is rather odd to
stand in the presence of so great a thing in the making and realize
that you are looking at one of the true wonders of the world. . . ."
Another viaduct, of similar design but smaller, was built at
While the new line was only three miles shorter than the old,
hundreds of feet of rise and fall were eliminated, and eleven full
circles were cut down to four; and the job was well worth the
$12,000,000 that it cost.
Between 1908 and 1911, an entirely new line of railroad was
built from Lake Hopatcong to the Delaware River, now known as
the Jersey Cutoff. This shortened the line by 11 miles and elim-
inated the use of helper engines on freight trains. This 29 mile line
required building two concrete viaducts of a design similar to those
on the Pennsylvania line, numerous deep cuts, and one fill which, so
| 25 |
far as is known, is the largest in the world, being over three miles
long with a maximum height of 110 feet. The total amount of earth
moved in the building of this line would be the equivalent to that
of digging a canal 16 feet wide, 8 feet deep, and 550 miles long.
This was an expensive construction, costing almost $400,000 per
mile, but the savings and improved service made possible by its
construction were well worth the money.
An interesting item in connection with the construction of both
the New Jersey and Pennsylvania Cutoffs was the matter of con-
structing the four viaducts of concrete instead of steel. In some
quarters there was alarm expressed that this was going to be a
mistake. The Board of Managers was told by the management of
the various doubts that were being expressed and asked the Board
to employ the best known bridge engineers that the Board could
find, without any suggestion from management as to who they
might be, for the purpose of advising the Board on two questions:
(1)was reinforced concrete suitable for viaducts of such size; and
(2)if so, was the design proper? The Board proceeded accordingly
and received two independent reports from two eminent bridge
engineers. Both of these bridge engineers reported that the con-
crete construction was suitable. Both recommended only minor
changes in the design. These viaducts now have been in service for
40 years, and it has only been in the last five years that some work
has been necessary on them. They have shown no weakness what-
ever and the work that has been necessary was additional water-
proofing and patching up some spots where a water drip had caused
slight erosion.
The Lackawanna cannot claim many so-called "firsts," but it
can claim the distinction of having been the first railroad to
experiment with the use of wireless communication between land stations
and moving trains. Marconi had transmitted wireless messages
across the Atlantic Ocean, but it was not known whether wireless
would be practicable across land areas in mountainous country and
between land stations and moving trains. People associated with
Marconi came to the Lackawanna to secure assistance in this phase
| 26 |
of wireless communication. The possibilities appealed to the Lacka-
wanna and it built wireless towers at Hoboken, Scranton, and
Binghamton. After a year or two of preparation, it was found that
communication between the land stations through mountainous
country was entirely feasible, and finally, on November 27, 1913,
the first written message from a moving train to a land station was
transmitted. General David Sarnoff, now Chairman of the Radio
Corporation of America, was employed by the Marconi Company
at that time and participated in all of these experiments. They were
not sufficiently reliable for regular communication for dispatching
purposes, but the use of wireless communication between Hoboken
and Scranton and Binghamton continued for a number of years.
In 1921, a voice broadcast of the Dempsey-Carpentier Fight from
the Hoboken land station was attempted, although not very suc-
In 1906, there was passed what is known as the Hepburn Act,
as an amendment to the Interstate Commerce Act. This amend-
ment today is known as the Commodities Clause. It prohibits a
railroad from transporting goods in which it has a direct or indirect
ownership. The amendment was directed principally at the anthra-
cite roads which mined, sold, and transported their own coal.
Various steps were taken to comply with the Act, but years of liti-
gation followed. Finally, in 1921, the Lackawanna was required
to divest itself of its coal properties, which it did on favorable terms
to its stockholders. But the Company thereafter was deprived of
the earnings from the mining and sale of coal. However, the gen-
eral business prosperity of the 1920's did not cause the loss of
these earnings to be felt seriously until the beginning of the
Depression in the 1930's.
No account of the Lackawanna's history would be complete
without reference to "Phoebe Snow." At the turn of the Century,
when railroad travel was "in plush," although less refined than the
service of today, an auburn-haired maiden, garbed in immaculate
white and adorned by a dainty corsage of violets, made her bow
on the American scene. She was Phoebe Snow; and her sparkling
| 27 |
white dress and hat symbolized cleanliness of travel on The
Lackawanna Railroad. In those days the Lackawanna was one of
the few railroads whose locomotives took the "sin" out of cinders
by burning hard instead of soft coal. Penrhyn Stanlaus and other
celebrated artists glorified Phoebe Snow with palette and canvas.
Vaudeville vocalists sang her praises. Poets and wags contributed
rhymes, and advertisements containing the jingles, illustrated with
pictures of Phoebe Snow, appeared with profusion in newspapers,
magazines, and street cars. Typical of these verses was that in
which Phoebe admitted:
"I won my fame and wide acclaim
For Lackawanna's splendid name
By keeping bright and snowy white
Upon the Road of Anthracite"

But when Phoebe Snow had reached her peak of popularity
someone started the First World War. Then the United States
Government took over the railroads and ordered them to burn soft
coal, and that order brought about the disappearance of Phoebe
Snow and her garb of dainty white, for many years.
Now Phoebe has come out of retirement 5 gowned once more
in snowy white, she symbolizes the cleanliness of travel on
cinder-free Diesel-powered trains. More than that, she has a train of her
own, because today she lends her "name and splendid fame" to
Lackawanna's streamliner the PHOEBE SNOW. Moreover, her name
appears on all Lackawanna box-cars 5 as does THE ROAD OF
AN-THRACITE on all of its coal cars.
Just before the Depression of the 1930's and during the admin-
istration of J. M. Davis as President, that part of the Morris and
Essex known as the Morristown line was electrified between Ho-
boken and Dover, with branches to Montclair and Gladstone, at
a cost of $16,000,000. On some parts of the line, grades of 80
feet to the mile exist and operation of steam locomotives was very
difficult and costly. The project required electrification of 160 track
miles, which carry heavy commuting traffic to and from New York
| 28 |
City. It improves the speed and comfort of the commuters' jour-
ney; it relieves overloaded conditions in Hoboken terminal 5
eliminates smoke nuisance through tunnels, improves the economy and
reliability of operation, and has been a great boon to the com-
munities through which it operates. The use of multiple-units, with
every other car motorized, permits high acceleration, flexible train
grouping, and minimum switching. These multiple-unit cars were
the first to use the 3,000 volt direct-current system.
The Depression of the 1930's hit the Lackawanna hard. After
paying dividends from 1880 to 1931, it was forced to suspend pay-
ment of dividends to its stockholders. It had been deprived of its
earnings from coal business by the segregation of 1921, previously
mentioned. Guaranteed dividends on leased line stocks, which,
together with interest on bonds of the leased lines, constituted
rental for their use, were particularly burdensome. Bonded
indebtedness was considerably increased and, in fact, resort to
borrowing from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation was neces-
sary. The road narrowly escaped financial disaster. Taxes owed
to the State of New Jersey were unpaid for a number of years and
were the subject of litigation. Federal Income Taxes of the lessor
companies were not paid after 1934 by reason of a court decision
involving a Western Union leased company, which decision coun-
sel advised would apply to the Lackawanna, and that Lackawanna
was not liable for the Federal Income Tax of these lessor com-
panies. The United States Government sued for these taxes. The
result of that litigation was favorable to the Company, and pro-
vided an instrumentality whereby a merger of the leased lines into
the Lackawanna might be possible. A plan was devised; new
Boards of Managers of all the lessor companies were elected, and
negotiations entered into. When this plan was undertaken, the
Lackawanna had 18 leased line companies. In some cases, mergers
were effected through exchange of leased line stock for Lacka-
wanna bonds secured by the leased line properties. In the case of
a number of shorter lines, the outstanding stock was purchased.
| 29 |
The outcome of the attempt was successful in every case. No
litigation whatever developed and stockholders of each leased line
were treated exactly alike. Thus the Lackawanna today is the
owner of its entire line; and its fixed charges have been reduced
some 30 percent.
The Lackawanna has been most fortunate throughout its history
in the members of its Board of Managers, who were renowned in
business and finance. Many of those who served in earlier days I
already have mentioned, such as: George W. Scranton, John I.
Blair, William E. Dodge, and Moses Taylor. There also was
Christopher R. Robert, who served for a short time as President,
and who is best known as founder of Robert College in Constan-
tinople, which has trained many of the leaders of the nations in
the Middle East and is generally regarded as one of America's
most successful cultural outposts.
In 1890, the Standard Oil interests gained control of The Na-
tional City Bank of New York and became heavily interested in
the Lackawanna. The Rockefellers and their associates began to
make their appearance on the Lackawanna Board, including Wil-
liam Rockefeller, who served 31 years as a member of the Board,
from February 1890 to December 1921; John D. Rockefeller,
Jr., who served from 1898 to 1915.
In the 1890's, The Philadelphia & Reading sought to form a
combine of all anthracite and northern New England systems,
which plan was financed by the Vanderbilt interests, spearheaded
by William K. Vanderbilt. Although the plan was not successful,
Vanderbilt interests had obtained 80,000 shares of Lackawanna
stock and attempted, unsuccessfully, to wrest control of the Lacka-
wanna from the Rockefellers, The National City Bank, and the
Baker interests. However, Frederick W. Vanderbilt was a member
of the Board from February 1895 to February 1916; and Harold
S. Vanderbilt from 1913 to 1921.
| 30 |
A tower of strength on the Lackawanna and a man highly de-
voted to its interests was George F. Baker, Sr., who served as a
member of the Board from February 1892 to December 1921;
and his son, George F. Baker, Jr., who served from 1910 to 1931.
The Bakers are well remembered as guiding forces of The First
National Bank of the City of New York, during their lifetimes.
Also were such well known men as Percy R. Pyne, Moses Tay-
lor Pyne, Russell Sage, William W. Astor, Edgar S. Auchincloss,
Beekman Winthrop, William Fahnestock, Eugene Higgins, James
Stillman, Hamilton McK. Twombley, Jackson E. Reynolds, and
Henry S. Sturgis.
We come now to the present! I wish to pay tribute to those
men who constitute the Board of Managers today and give so
much of their time and their conscientious effort to the affairs of
the Company. No management could be blessed with a Board of
Managers more devoted to the interests of the Company's stock-
holders. For almost eleven years, during which I have been Presi-
dent of the Company, there have been no dissensions among the
Board, no cliques, and never any action taken that has not met
with unanimous approval of the Board. I would like to call the
roster of those gentlemen, all of them Newcomen members, who
serve so well today. They are:
M. Hartley Dodge, a great-grandson of Anson G. Phelps,
grandson of the William E. Dodge who was one of the early
founders, and also a son-in-law of William Rockefeller. Mr.
Dodge is Chairman of the Board of the Remington Arms Com-
pany and has served on the Lackawanna Board since December
Roy C. Gasser, senior partner of the law firm of Gasser and
Hayes, who, among other things, has been personal counsel for
the Vanderbilts and the Ogden Mills Family for a number of
years. Mr. Gasser came on the Board in February 1922, and is a
member of the Executive Committee.
Paul Moore, who succeeded his father, Judge William H.
Moore. Judge Moore had served on the Board of Managers from
| 31 |
February 1907 to January 1923. It was he who organized the
American Can Company and the National Biscuit Company. Paul
Moore today looks after the family interests in those two com-
panies. Paul came on the Board as a member in February 1923,
and, in addition, has been a member of the Executive Committee
for a good many years.
Roy E. Tomlinson, Chairman of the Board of National Biscuit
Company, who has served since February 1930.
Arthur A. Houghton, Jr., President of Steuben Glass Company,
and a Director of Corning Glass Works, who became a member
in September 1935.
Willard F. Place, Financial Vice-President, New York Central
System, who became a member in February 1939, and serves on
the Executive Committee.
Robert W. Lea, who recently retired as President of Johns-
Manville Corporation, became a member in February 1940.
Robert G. Fuller, Vice-President of The First National Bank
of the City of New York, a member since November 1941, and
who also serves on the Executive Committee.
Lewis G. Harriman, President of The Manufacturers and
Traders Trust Company of Buffalo, a member since December
Lee P. Stack, Financial Vice-President of the John Hancock
Mutual Life Insurance Company at Boston, who, during the
negotiations covering mergers of leased lines, was President of
the New York, Lackawanna & Western, became a member of the
Board in December 1945.
Ralph D. Jennison, Chairman of the New York State Electric
& Gas Corporation, at Binghamton, N.Y., a member since May
William H. Moore, Assistant Vice-President of Bankers Trust
Company at New York, a son of Paul Moore and grandson of
Judge Moore, a member since September 1947.
W. Paul Stillman, Chairman of the Mutual Benefit Life Insur-
ance Company, and President of The National State Bank of
Newark, New Jersey, a member since November 1948.
| 32 |
Of the employees of the Lackawanna who always have taken
such great pride in being Lackawanna men and in being good
neighbors to the people they serve, neither time nor space permits
mentioning more than a jew who are heads of departments. They
Perry M. Shoemaker, Vice-President - Operations
Clyde F. Farmer, Vice-President - Traffic
David I. Mackie, Vice-President & General Counsel
George A. Phillips, Chief Engineer
Philip D. Jonas, Comptroller
John G. Enderlin, Secretary and Treasurer
E. B. Moffatt, Assistant to President.
They all are able men, giving unsparingly of their time and effort
to the affairs of the Lackawanna, and who, I am happy to say,
enjoy utmost confidence of the Board of Managers.
A great century is behind us! In the course of history that is
not a long interval; but it has witnessed two World Wars, the
advent of the telephone, the electric light, automobile, wireless
communication and its adjuncts, radio and television, electric re-
frigeration, air-conditioning, the moving picture, the airplane, the
Diesel locomotive, and the atomic bomb.
During all of the centuries since the wheel was first invented
and men transferred their burdens from their backs to the wheel-
barrow, no period has seen such progress as this last century. Men
have learned to put the wheel to use as the great carrier of goods
and people!
While the railroads have no monopoly in the broad field of
transportation, yet they still are the cheapest prime movers of goods
in quantity. As our forefathers in 1851 could not have foreseen
inventions that were to be forthcoming during the next 100 years,
neither could they have foreseen improvements in the art of
| 33 |
transportation and communication, nor improved standard of liv-
ing that were to come forth from the minds of men.
We dare not, therefore, attempt prophesy as to the future, for we
know not what men's minds may devise. I believe we may reason-
ably be sure, however, that the greatest invention known to Man
- the wheel - will continue to be of importance in the lives of
people; and, as long as that is so, we may expect transportation
on rails to be of prime importance.
We have been endowed, Mr. Chairman, with a great heritage;
and it is incumbent upon us and upon those who follow us during
these second ioo years of the Lackawanna's history, to preserve
that of which we are trustees ; to improve it, and do everything
within our power to keep the Railroad Industry privately owned
and privately operated, because with government ownership come
only deficits and ever further nationalization, as our fellow mem-
bers of The British Newcomen abundantly can testify!

"Actorum Memores simul
affectamus Agenda!"

| 34 |
THIS NEWCOMEN ADDRESS, dealing with the history of
The Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad
Company and celebrating its 100th Anniversary (1851-
1951), was delivered at a National Newcomen Luncheon
of The Newcomen Society of England, held at New
York, N.Y., U.S.A., on October 26, 1951. MR. WHITE,
the guest of honor, was introduced by ROBERT G.
FULLER, Vice-President of The First National Bank of
the City of New York; member of the New York Com-
mittee, in American Newcomen. The luncheon was presided
AMERICA, in this international Society, whose
headquarters are at London.
| 35 |

People White, William
Fuller, Robert G.
Sloan, Sam
Taylor, Moses
Date 1951
Year Range from 1951
Year Range to 1951
Search Terms Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad
Morris & Essex Railroad Co.
Phoebe Snow (train)
Caption front cover
Imagefile 110\20110050251.TIF
Classification Railroads
Business & Commerce