|Title||Reference book: 'blue coal' The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Coal Company, N.Y. (& Scranton.) N.d., ca. 1920-1930|
|Collection||Hoboken Railroad Collection|
|Credit||Museum Collections. Gift of a friend of the Museum.|
|Scope & Content||
'blue coal' The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Coal Company, N.Y. (& Scranton.) No date, circa 1920-1930. Blue cloth boards, 3-3/4" x 6-1/4" high; gold lettering and logo; 37 pp.
A reference book for customers and salesmen with tables for prices of gross and net tons; Coal Dealers Computing Table for fractions of a 2000 lb ton; charts for conversion of gross, net and pounds.
Blue coal was coal that was dyed blue as a branding or marketing device; it was promoted for over a half-century by this company and was notable as a radio show sponsor in the 1930s of the serial "The Shadow."
The cover has a diamond logo: DL&W, The Standard Anthracite, Scranton. This logo also appears on page  where there is also the logo of Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Coal Co. Below are the various branch offices of the D.L.& W. Coal Co. While Hoboken is not listed, there were offices and facilities in Hoboken for this railroad subsidiary. (Remarkably the DL&W did not trademark 'Blue Coal' until 1948; reference has been seen that it was first used by them in 1927, but this is not considered as definitive in dating this item as earlier references to blue coal have been seen.)
The date range for this item is speculative, but 1930 was when the Glen Alden Coal Co. bought the Lehigh & Wilkes-Barre.
Inside front cover has inkstamp:
A.H. Pace, Sales Agent
D.L. & W. Coal Co.
Glen Alden Building
|Year Range from||1920|
|Year Range to||1930|
Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Coal Co.
Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad
Lehigh & Wilkes-Barre Coal Co.
Business & Commerce