Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Paper money (fractional scrip): Twenty five cents. The Hudson River Bank, Hoboken, N.J. Nov. 1st 1862. No. 409.
Object Name Money
Catalog Number 2013.005.0011
Collection Hoboken Commerce Collection
Credit Museum Collections. Gift of a Friend of the Museum.
Scope & Content Paper money (currency): Twenty five cents. The Hudson River Bank, Hoboken, New Jersey. Nov. 1st 1862. No. 409.

Printed paper, 1-3/4" high x 3-3/16" wide. Printed in green one side only, two signatures, holographic serial number in red. Circulated condition. Center vignette of sailing ship (yacht.)

The Bank apparently existed prior to 1862 (see notes for an 1862 article about reorganization); two signatures, O.H. Wheeler (president) and J.D. Boughart (cashier.) (Wheeler is possibly an Orrel Hall Wheeler, but that is unverified.)

Printed by: Ferd [Ferdinand] Mayer & Co., Lith. [Lithographer], New York.

Other examples of fractional scrip from this bank in denominations of five, ten, fifteen and fifty cents are known. Denominations of one, two, three and five dollars are also known.
----
Obsolete scrip; fractional obsolete scrip; spurious note.
Notes As published in The New York Times, December 5, 1862:

THE HUDSON RIVER BANK -- SUBSTITUTE FOR SMALL CHANGE. -- The Hudson River Bank, located at Hoboken, has recently been reorganized under the general banking law of the State of New-Jersey, with a capital of $50,000, with power to increase it to $100.000. Mr. O.H. WHEELER, of Gov. OLDEN's Staff [Charles Smith Olden was New Jersey Governor from January 17, 1860 to January 20, 1863], has been elected President, and Mr. J.D. BOUGHART, favorably known and identified with the interests of New-Jersey, as Cashier. In consequence of the scarcity of small change the bank has issued certified checks about the size of the United States postal currency, in denominations of 5, 10, 15 and 25 cents, payable at the bank in sums of $1 and upward.

====
Information about printer Ferdinand Mayer & Co. as found at: http://www.geographicus.com

Ferdinand Mayer (c. 1817 - c. 1877) was prosperous lithographer based in New York during the latter part of the 19th century. Mayer was born in Germany but fled to the United States following the 1848 March Revolutions that swept through the German Confederation. Initially Mayer was associated with various partners including Nagel and Korff - also German immigrants. By 1855 he has established himself at 96 Fulton Street and, within a few years, expanded to the neighboring property at 98 Fulton Street. Meyer produced an enormous corpus of varied work that included music sheets, bank notes, broadsides, maps, and views. His career was probably jumpstarted through an early partnership with the important cartographer Henry Walling, many of whose maps and atlases bear the Ferd. Mayer imprint. His most important publicaiton is mostly likely Egbert L. Vielé’s 1865 Topographical Map of the City of New York, one of the most important and influential maps of New York City ever published. The Mayer imprint appears on documents as, variously, Ferd. Meyer, F. Mayer, and Mayer and Sons.
People Wheeler, O.H.
Boughart, J.D.
Date 1862-1863
Year Range from 1862
Year Range to 1863
Search Terms Hudson River Bank, The
Caption enlarged and enhanced
Imagefile 185\20130050011-2.TIF
Classification Financial
Business & Commerce