|Title||Hoboken: A Visitor's Guide. Produced by Hoboken Community Development Agency, .|
|MULTIMEDIA LINKS||CLICK HERE to view the PDF; note - please be patient while file opens.|
|Collection||Hoboken Map & Guide Collection|
|Scope & Content||
Hoboken: A Visitor's Guide. Produced by Hoboken Community Development Agency [CDA], .
Oblong booklet, 8-1/2" high x 11" wide. pp. [i], 27 plus covers, illustrated. Photo on cover by Dennis Simonetti. Rear cover is blank. Interior has occasional holographic ink notes by previous owner. PDF on file. Full text is transcribed in notes. (Note: a later version was published ca. 1984-1985 with a different cover and only 18 pages, see related or archives 2015.001.0079).
Page [i] is a letter of April 12, 1977, signed in facsimile, from then Mayor Steve Cappiello.
Pages 1-5 are text of Hoboken history with thumbnail images. The credits on page 27 note that this text first appeared in the Bicentennial Calendar (1976) .
Page 6 is map, line drawing by Judy Clark, Hoboken Historic Sites Walking Tour with 32 numbered locations noted on it.
Pages 7-16 are descriptions of each numbered site along with a photograph or line drawing.
Pages 17-18: Preservation Hoboken-Style.
Pages 19-21: Dining Out. A few restaurants are given a paragraph of text (Clam Broth House, Helmer's, Michael's, the Cellar at the Union Club, Norby's, The Shannon, Hoboken House, Henry Yee's Islander) followed by a list of 15 establishments.
Pages 22-24: Places to Buy Food. Text covers Fiore's House of Quality Dairy, Van Holland, Aversa's, Sunny's Farm, Gustoso's, Marie's, Carlo's Bakery, Corbisiero, De Bari, Schoning's. It is followed by lists in four categories: Bakeries; Delicatessens; Markets; Unique Markets (Indian).
Page 25: Getting To and From Hoboken. Text plus a PATH map.
Page 26: Getting Around in Hoboken. Text includes auto directions and a regional map probably provided by the Port Authority.
Page 27: credits. States "Brochure prepared for forthcoming guide for residents and businessmen as part of CDA's Economic Development Program."
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
A Visitor's Guide.
[photo portrait - Mayor Steve Cappiello]
[City of Hoboken, N.J. Corporate Seal]
April 12, 1977
Hoboken, the "Mile Square City", has a long past rich in turn-of-the-century elegance and old world charm in which we take great pride. The years have taught us perseverance; pride has given us the energy to attempt a dramatic turn-about in the city's decline.
The city's exceptional residential quality and architectural splendor, as well as the ambience and urbanity, are rare in the metropolitan area. These are our unique assets which, through our urban preservation efforts, will be greatly enhanced.
Since 1972, Hoboken has launched housing programs which have revitalized 20% of the city's entire housing stock through new construction, major rehabilitation, and low-interest loans. A new economic development program is now being initiated, beginning with a commercial revitalization effort which will assist storeowners to improve their storefronts and coordinate promotional efforts.
Our success is attributable to a vigorous policy of attracting private capital through innovative use of public funds.
It is a demonstrated fact that housing rehabilitation works in an older city. We have shown that homeowners, banks, businessmen and landlords will invest their monies — and their futures — in an older city once it starts the road back to economic health and vitality.
There is still much to be done. We are now devoting a greater part of our efforts to the revitalization of our city's economic base. We welcome that challenge with equal zeal.
s/s Steve Cappiello
Our Hoboken Heritage
In the beginning, Hoboken was an island of trees and green fields separated from the west by marshes and the east by the river. The first inhabitants were the Lenni Lenape Indians who camped seasonally on the island, but were not permanent residents. They named the spot “Hopoghan Hackingh” which meant “Land of the Tobacco Pipe”, for they used the green-colored serpentine rock abundant in the area to carve pipes for smoking tobacco.
Henry Hudson’s navigator on the ship Half Moon mentioned the area’s green rock in the 1609 log of their third voyage up the river, which now bears the explorer’s name. The men on the Half Moon were the first Europeans known to have seen the island, but they were followed by many others. Mostly Dutchmen visited the island in those early years, and they called it “Hoe-buck”, meaning “High Bluff”. In 1658, Peter Stuyvesant, the Dutch Governor of Manhattan, then known as New Amsterdam, bought all the land between the Hackensack and the Hudson Rivers from the Lenni Lenapes for 80 fathoms of wampum, 20 fathoms of cloth, 12 kettles, 6 guns, 2 blankets, 1 double kettle and Vz barrel of beer.
Hoboken’s past was significantly linked with the American Revolution. Because William Bayard, the owner of Hoboken in 1776, was a Loyalist, his land was confiscated by the Revolutionary Government of New Jersey to be sold at a public auction. In 1784 Colonel John Stevens of the Patriot Army purchased the island for 18,360 pounds sterling, or about $90,000. It was Colonel Stevens, the wartime “Treasurer on Horseback” of the
State of New Jersey and a leading advocate for the ratification of the American Constitution, who settled on the name “Hoboken”. From 564 bucolic acres he and his descendents led in the creation of a thriving nineteenth century city.
Colonel Stevens developed Hoboken as a resort. As early as 1820 he began transforming the wild but beautiful waterfront into a recreation area. The public path which became known as River Walk was developed in six years. It meandered from the ferry in the south around Castle Point to the dense woods in the northern part of Hoboken. In 1836 Cybil’s Cave was opened on River Walk as a spa where a pleasure-seeker could buy a refreshing glass of mineral water for a penny. The shaft of the well in the cave went down thirty feet to a fresh water spring noted for its purity.
River Walk gave entry at Tenth Street to the Elysian Fields. This spacious section of meadow fringed by lofty forest trees became a center of recreation which added to the attraction along River Walk and The Green in southern Hoboken. The city often accommodated as many as 20,000 New Yorkers out for a sunny Sunday picnic. On June 19, 1846 the world’s first regular organized baseball game was played in Elysian Fields; on that day, the New York Nine defeated the Knickerbockers, 23 to 1, in four innings. Besides sports there were other diversions in the Fields. Rodenberg’s Tavern offered beer and the Colonade Hotel provided accommodations, while the Observation Wheel, which stood one hundred feet high and resembled a modern Ferris wheel, gave the patron a splendid view of the Hudson River.
Numerous entertainments in Hoboken led the famous of the time to gather here. Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr were active members of the Turtle Club which met near the Elysian Fields. In 1855 Lillian Russell, John L. Sullivan, Jay Gould and William K. Vanderbilt entertained at Duke’s House, built near the ferry house in southern Hoboken. Horace Greeley and Henry Ward Beecher frequented Nick’s Bee Hive. John Jacob Astor built a resort house at Washington and Second Streets. John Cox Stevens began America’s first yacht club in Hoboken in 1844. And the Stevens family led
the building of the sailing yacht America which in 1851 first captured the English trophy that has figured for over a century as the prized America Cup. Indeed, the island prospered as the “Paradise of Gotham” thanks to the imagination and initiative of Colonel Stevens and his family.
Yet Colonel Stevens was best known as an inventor. In 1791, he received one of the first patents issued in America for a steam engine design. Thirteen years later his Little Juliana plied across the Hudson River between the Battery and Hoboken; it was the first successful steamboat driven by twin screw propellers. In 1808 Colonel Stevens launched the Phoenix which in a quite unexpected manner became the first steam-driven vessel to make an ocean voyage. The reason this happened was that Robert Fulton had been awarded exclusive rights to the use of steamboats on the Hudson River, and John Stevens was forced to send his Phoenix into the Atlantic in order to get it to Philadelphia for service on the Delaware River. In an effort to continue his ferry service from Hoboken, Stevens designed a horse-driven paddle-wheeled boat called a team boat which carried passengers to New York. Stevens initiated a long legal battle which finally broke Fulton’s steamboat monopoly in 1824.
From boats, Colonel Stevens turned to rail. By 1825, he had designed and built the first experimental steam-drive locomotive in America and ran it as a demonstration on a circular track on The Green near the ’76 House, an inn for travelers. The locomotive was 16 feet long and traveled at 12 miles per hour. Even before this accomplishment, Colonel Stevens had received the first American railroad charter in 1815; he literally began the American railway system which played a prime role in the building of this country.
Due to the pioneering genius of the Stevens family and the city’s excellent waterfront location, Hoboken entered the twentieth century as a hub of rail and water transportation. Located in the New York harbor, piers for passenger and freight shipping quickly grew along the city’s waterfront. Hoboken prospered as a major
trans-Atlantic port. Among the steamship companies to settle here were the North German Lloyd, the Hamburg-American, the Holland-American, the Scandinavian and the Wilson.
In 1907 the Erie-Lackawanna Terminal was built to replace the original terminal, which was destroyed by fire in 1905. Now on the National and State Registers of Historic Places, the new terminal serviced ferries commuting from New York and trains traveling west. The Binghamton, once a ferry frequenting the Erie-Lackawanna Terminal, now serves as a restaurant docked in Edgewater. The year 1908 marked the first subway train run between New York and the Hoboken terminal. It had taken thirty-four years for the work begun in 1874 to culminate in an operating subway system.
During World War I, Hoboken became our country’s official Port of Embarkation for American troops en route to Europe. The first convoy carrying nearly 12,000 officers, enlisted men, nurses and civilians left Hoboken on June 14, 1917. The average number of American soldiers leaving Hoboken each day was 3,500, and 46,214 was recorded as being the highest daily figure. After the signing of the Armistice, Hoboken hosted the American soldiers’ return. Altogether, over three million soldiers passed through our city between 1917 and 1919.
Development brought immigrants to Hoboken and immigrants brought their varied cultures. The Germans were the first of the new wave of immigrants, followed by the Irish, the Italians, the Yugoslavs, the Hispanics, and the East Indians. With each group came its own festivals and foods, languages and music, business and skills, clubs and institutions.
Many of the immigrants’ buildings still stand interweaving Hoboken’s present with the past. The Stevens family itself founded churches and schools. Stevens Institute of Technology was founded in 1870 with a land grant and $650,000 bequeathed by Edwin A. Stevens. The Martha Institute, started by Edwin’s wife, Martha B. D. Stevens, went up in 1866. The Stevens estate’s Gatehouse, built in 1859 to house the Stevens family’s cowherdess, survives the Stevens Castle, a magnificent thirty-four room family mansion which topped the bluff until its demolition in 1959. The Hoboken Land and Improvement Building at River and Newark Streets is reminiscent of the company which was formed in 1838 to take over the management of the Stevens family’s docks, ferries and other business properties.
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church at 820 Hudson Street is the oldest religious congregation in the city;
it was established in 1836. St. Mary Hospital dates back to 1863. The Union Club, formerly the German Club, and the First Spanish Baptist Church, formerly the Columbia Club, were social centers. The Clam Broth House got started in 1899. The Keuffel and Esser building, built in 1906 for the manufacture of precision instruments, is now being converted into housing. The Hoboken Academy facing onto Church Square Park shut its doors in 1974 after 114 years of teaching hundreds of students.
Famous architects designed some of Hoboken’s structures. Kenneth Murchison created the Erie-Lackawanna Terminal. Carrere and Hastings designed the pavillion at Columbus Park. Francis George Himpler was responsible for Our Lady of Grace Church, the Academy of the Sacred Heart and City Hall. Richard Upjohn designed the Trinity Parish Church and the original Stevens Institute Administration Building facing Stevens Park.
Hoboken’s past has been touched by other artists. Stephen Collins Foster lived at the corner of Sixth and Bloomfield Streets when he wrote I Dream of Jeannie. Charles Schreyvogel painted western Indian scenes on Garden Street; his painting My Bunkie, which won the Clark Prize in 1900, now hangs in Manhattan’s Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Edgar Allan Poe’s Mystery of Marie Roget was based on the Hoboken murder of Mary Rogers. Christopher Morley was president of the Hoboken Theatrical Company which staged plays at the Old Rialto Theatre. Hetty Green, one of the wealthiest American women of her day and a Hoboken resident, was the main character in the book by Boyden Sparkes and Samuel T. Moore titled The Witch of Wall Street.
An island, a resort, a port and a home for culture, Hoboken continues to evolve. From wilderness it has become a highly urban city of great achievement. The land, the streets, and the buildings which make Hoboken are not merely earth, concrete and brick; they are the stage setting for inventions, creations and thousands of lives. Over the years, Hoboken has been shaped into a city of unique character, a character worth preserving.
[full page hand-drawn map]
Historic Sites Walking Tour
1. Erie Lackawanna Terminal, Hudson Place. The first Hoboken site to be entered into the National Register of Historic Places, the terminal dates back to 1907. It was designed by the famous architect Kenneth Murchison. The building is clad in handsomely detailed copper; it housed the first attempt to air cool a public building in the United States. The train sheds were invented by Lincoln Bush and were subsequently emulated in most railroad stations around the world.
Hoboken Land Building
1 Newark St.
2. Land and Improvement Building, 1 Newark Street at River Street. Built around the turn of the century, the building’s interior is patterned after a ferryboat. The Stevens family land development corporation used the building as its headquarters.
3. Clam Broth House, 38 Newark Street at River Street.
A famous restaurant founded in 1899, its workingman’s stand-up bar was finally opened to women in 1972.
4. City Hall, Washington Street between Newark and First Streets. Hoboken’s second entry in the National Register of Historic Places, the main building was constructed in red brick in 1881; the original construction was considerably enlarged in white brick in 1911, reflecting the growth of the city. In 1910, Hoboken reached its peak population of 70,324.
5. Site of John Jacob Astor’s Villa, formerly at the Southwest Corner of Second and Washington Streets.
In his old age, the wealthy fur merchant mingled with the pleasure seekers along the Hoboken riverfront. His villa was built in 1828 and stood on this spot until 1910.
6. Number One or Rue School, Third and Garden Streets. Founded in 1858 and the second building on the site, the structure was named for David E. Rue, the first Superintendent of Hoboken Schools. Outstanding architectural features include a double marble staircase in the interior.
7. Keuffel and Esser Building, 301 Jefferson Street at Third Street. This manufacturing firm, world-renowned for its precision instruments, came to Hoboken in 1866. The reinforced concrete building, constructed in 1901, marks the first conversion of a factory to housing in the United States in 1975.
[drawing: architect's aerial view of K&E building looking southwest; rendering of Keuffel & Esser Bldg by Beyer-Blinder-Belle]
[line drawing: Public School No. 1, David E. Rue School]
St. Francis Church
8. St. Francis Church, 300 Jefferson Street at Third Street. Originally constructed for Italian Catholics in 1888, the church is run by Franciscan priests. The school, constructed later, offered both Italian and English language instruction.
9. St. Mary Hospital, 308 Willow Avenue at Fourth Street. One of the first hospitals in New Jersey has been on this site since 1865.
10. Our Lady of Grace Church, 400 Willow Avenue at Fourth Street. Once the largest Roman Catholic Church in New Jersey, it was constructed in 1874 after a design by local architect Francis G. Himpler, who also designed City Hall. Gifts of paintings and ceremonial vessels were donated by Victor Emmanuel, Emperor Napoleon III and other Italian and French royalty, when the church was dedicated in 1875.
11. Church Square Park, between Willow and Garden and Fourth and Fifth Streets. This block was dedicated to the people of Hoboken for outdoor recreation by Colonel John Stevens in 1804.
[line drawing - Willow Terrace]
12. Willow Terrace, between Willow and Clinton and Sixth and Seventh Streets. Built in 1886, these diminutive rowhouses were the homes of Stevens Estate workers. The cobblestone streets in the mews are still privately owned by the ninety resident families.
13. Holy Innocents Church, 311 Sixth Street at Willow Avenue. This Gothic structure dates to 1872. Martha Bayard Stevens had the church constructed for the poor of Hoboken in memory of her daughter Julia, who died when only seven years of age.
14. Hoboken Free Public Library, 500 Park Avenue at Fifth Street. Donated by the Stevens family in 1895, this was the third public library to be built in New Jersey.
[line drawing: Martha Institute]
15. Martha Institute, Sixth and Park Streets. Constructed in 1866, the institute was named for Martha Bayard Stevens who donated much of her time and money to initiating first an academy and then a manual trade school on this site. The building also provided the locale for the first Hoboken High School.
16. Stephen Collins Foster House, 601 Bloomfield Street at Sixth Street. Stephen Collins Foster lived in this house from 1854 to 1855. During this time he wrote "Jeannie with the Light Brown Hair.”
7. Union Club, 600 Hudson Street at Sixth Street.
Founded in 1857 as a German social club, many of the outstanding artistic Hoboken events of the mid-1800's occurred within its walls. The present edifice was built in 1864. During World War I, the owners changed the name from the Deutsche to the Union Club.
18. Trinity Episcopal Church, 701 Washington Street at Seventh Street. Designed by Richard Upjohn, who also conceived the famed New York City church of the same name, this Gothic edifice was completed in 1856. It probably is the oldest institutional structure in Hoboken. The rectory next to the church was finished in 1864.
[line drawing: Spanish Seventh Day Adventist Church (First Baptist Church), 901 Bloomfield Street at Ninth Street]
19. Bloomfield Street between Ninth and Eleventh Streets. From these blocks radiated the Hoboken brown-stone revival movement, which had its beginning in 1971.
20. Spanish Seventh Day Adventist Church, 901 Bloomfield Street at Ninth Street. This building originally housed the First Baptist Church, the cornerstone was laid in 1890. In 1891, when the church was dedicated, it was said, “The church is not only a monument to the spirit of religion, but it is an ornament to the city."
21. First Spanish Baptist Church, 1101 Bloomfield Street at Eleventh Street. Originally called the Columbia Club, the building was constructed to provide social gathering space. The basement contained bowling alleys, while the floors above offered an entertainment hall, banquet rooms, a library and several card rooms. Groundbreaking occurred on September 1,1891.
22. Washington Street Fire House, Washington Street between Thirteenth and Fourteenth Streets. The only Hoboken building listed in the American Building Survey, it was built in 1880. The Stevens family, which contributed the land, insisted that the structure be set back from the sidewalk so that firemen could spit their tobacco juice without spraying the passersby.
[line drawing: Washington Street Fire House, Washington Street between Thirteenth and Fourteenth Streets]
23. Yellow Flats, Washington Street between Twelfth and Thirteenth Streets. Hetty Green, one of the wealthiest American women of her day and known as the “Witch of Wall Street,” lived on this site in 1896. The existing structure was rehabilitated into 174 modern apartment units in 1974.
24. Elysian Park, between Tenth and Eleventh Streets, and Hudson Street and Shore Road. This public square represents the last vestiges of the outdoor recreation area called Elysian Fields, which extended from Tenth to Seventeenth Street along the river-front. The first regular game of baseball was played in the Fields on June 19, 1846. The first clubhouse of the New York Yacht Club was located at Tenth Street and the River in 1844.
25. St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 820 Hudson Street.
Established in 1835, St. Paul’s is the oldest religious congregation in Hoboken. The existing structure, built in 1870 features the famed Warrior’s Shrine dedicated to the bravery of all those men who gave their lives to this country.
26. St. Matthews Lutheran Church, 57 Eighth Street at Hudson Street. The bell in the 150-foot high tower still proclaims the hour after ninety-nine years of service. Stained glass windows and a mural catalogued by the Smithsonian Institution add to the beauty of the church.
27. Castle Point, Observation Deck at Stevens Center Building on Castle Point Hill. This rise of serpentine rock named Castle Point was referred to as a “sylver myne” in the log of Henry Hudson’s second voyage on the Half Moon in 1609. The Stevens family’s home known as the "Castle” graced this bluff from 1853 to 1859. The cannon on the observatory dates back to the Civil War.
28. Stevens Gatehouse, Sixth Street off River Street.
Built of serpentine rock, this unusual structure was the home of the cowherdess for the Stevens estate. It was built in 1859, and is therefore the oldest building on the Stevens campus.
29. Stevens Administration Building, Fifth Street between River and Hudson Streets. Called the "A” Building, it was the first building in the Stevens Institute complex. The firm of R. and R. Upjohn and Sons designed the building in 1870; Upjohn also designed Hoboken’s Trinity Church.
30. Stevens Park, between Fourth and Fifth Streets, and Hudson Street and Shore Road. Old maps refer to the site as Hudson Square Park. As was the case with Church Square Park, the Stevens family donated this land to the people of Hoboken. Hoboken’s Liberty Tree was planted here on April 17, 1976. The statue was commemorated in 1888 by General William Tecumseh Sherman; the cannons were taken from the U.S.S. Portsmouth when she was decommissioned at Hoboken’s Fifth Street Pier in 1901.
31. St. Peter and Paul Church, 400 Hudson Street at Fourth Street. Founded originally for German Catholics in 1889, the interior of the present church was used for scenes in the movie “On the Waterfront." Exterior church scenes for the movie were filmed at Our Lady of Grace Church.
32. World War I Boulder, River Street at Port Authority Gate B. Hoboken served as the official Port of Embarkation for World War I troops; during the course of the war over three million soldiers passed through the city. The piers were confiscated by federal secret service men, and 250 German families residing in Hoboken were deported. On December 4,1918, President Woodrow Wilson sailed from Hoboken to attend the Paris Peace Conference, where he proposed the formation of the League of Nations.
[line drawing: vista of Port Authority Piers]
St. Peter & Paul Church
Preservation is a natural, defensive human instinct exemplified by a universal tendency to protect and keep things of value. On a community level, tangible reminders of history in the form of old buildings and places such as the ones listed above help us to know and have pride in our traditions and our past.
In addition to cultural justifications for preservation, there are economic ones as well. Preservation efforts invariably contribute to neighborhood and community stability and to increased property values. More often than not, preservation is a less costly, and more efficient use of a city’s precious resources than demolition and new construction.
Preservation activities have several purposes. One is to preserve individual buildings of distinctive architecture, such as the Erie Lackawanna Terminal. The second purpose for preservation is to protect sites where significant events have occurred, the Stephen-Collins Foster house as one example. The third purpose is of more widespread benefit; it is concerned with total environments, neighborhoods of houses, stores, parks and sidewalks which have served as good places to live.
Hoboken enjoys its architectural gems and familiar places that recall a long and interesting history. These should be preserved. But more important, Hoboken offers an environment congenial to urban life, a rare quality in American cities today. It is this environment especially to which preservation attention should be directed.
A totally urbanized City, Hoboken experienced rapid growth in the years 1860 to 1910. Today’s population of about 45,000 still lives and works in the man-made environment created on the one square mile of land decades ago. The key qualities of this development include:
- a human scale manifested in low-rise buildings, small blocks and narrow streets;
- a pedestrian scale of short walking distances and ample sidewalks;
[line drawing: exterior of brownstone oriel with iron fencing; cat in window]
- an ease of visual orientation through frequent views of natural and man-made landmarks;
- a fine-grain mix of commercial, residential and open space land uses;
- a balanced residential density suited to available infrastructure, ? marketability and life style;
- existing building types of proper bulk and site design to form a satisfactory urban fabric; and
- numerous surviving examples of historic buildings and places with design details and materials which add to Hoboken�fs environmental quality and charm.
Some places in Hoboken need improvement: overhead wires which mar the streetscape and block out the sky, seven vehicular entrances to the City blighted by billboards and vast expanses of pot-holed concrete, poor sign controls resulting in jumbled signage, too few public and commercial recreation facilities, and a deteriorated waterfront. Time, poverty and disinterest have devastated much of the City.
[line drawing: child playing hopscotch]
[line drawing: exterior of entrance to Church of the Holy Innocents]
Many places in Hoboken remain truly special: sidewalks teeming with activity, charming mews streets, cobblestone alleys, tall trees in lovely City squares, gazebos, bell towers, statues, a riverfront view across to the spectacular Manhattan skyline, block after block of solid turn-of-the-century rowhouses with extraordinary architectural details, and a vital main commercial street ideal for comparison shopping or an evening stroll.
Urban preservation is a way to both preserve and improve life in the City for all of the people. The approach to preservation must reach beyond restoring buildings toward the restoration and revitalization of all of Hoboken’s urban life.
[line drawing: exterior of building with restaurant on ground floor: India Teaspot]
Dining out in Hoboken can be a very pleasant experience. Restaurants usually reflect the ethnic makeup of a community, and nowhere is this more evident as in Hoboken. Italian, Puerto Rican, German, Indian, Chinese, and Spanish dishes and seafood delicacies can be readily found. Many of the restaurants are quite modestly priced and exude a very warm atmosphere. One can savor first-rate homestyle cooking at reasonable prices in Hoboken.
Although not quite a gourmet's paradise in the metropolitan area, Hoboken restaurants have drawn favorable editorial coverage from New York newspapers repeatedly in recent years. Situated a block from the waterfront and the Hoboken Terminal the CLAM BROTH HOUSE is probably the best-known landmark restaurant. The New York Times reported, "The Clam Broth House is a landmark, having opened in 1899, and here, well-priced seafood is the thing to have - Maine lobster for example is $7.50. Sunday night dinner-theatre menu runs $12.50 per person and starts at 5:45. Reservations are suggested on weekends (659-2448) even though 600 people can be seated. The Village Voice wrote "The Clam Broth House (since 1899) on 30-38 Newark Street just a block away from the tube terminal is world-renowned for excellent seafood at reasonable prices. Homemade clam chowder is still 60c [cents] and a full combination Fisherman's Delight Platter is only $4.95, other delights are even cheaper. Open each day till midnight".
A popular German restaurant is HELMER'S. Favorites at.Helmer's are its homemade desserts and satisfying drinks. Leslie Maitland of the New York Times said, "Helmer's Restaurant, on 11th and Washington Streets has been in Hoboken since the repeal of Prohibition and is the place to go for such German specialties as Geraucheate Rinds Zernge (smoked beef tongue) at $3.95 or Ochsen Schwanz Ragout (oxtail ragout) at $4.25. Elfriede Lueders, the owner, also bakes her own pumpkin pie, apple pie and cheesecake". Helmer's is closed on Sunday.
A Village Voice article on Hoboken stated,
"Helmer's is just across from the Maxwell House Factory and has a very good bar as well as first-rate homestyle American and German cooking. It is
decorated in 1930's Art-deco style to resemble the wood-paneled interiors of luxury ocean lines like the Normandie. Prices are extremely reasonable (under $5 for dinner) and you will find intimate wooden highbacked private booths and tables available. A specialty is sauerbraten with potato dumplings". Open weekdays from noon till 10 and weekends till 11, closed Sunday, reservations are suggested.
About MICHAEL'S, a new, informal dining place, Maitland wrote, "At Michael's (792-0012) open 11 A.M. to 1 A.M. daily, the prices are more than reasonable with a sandwich specialty called the Barge - turkey, ham and tomato smothered in a blanket of melted cheese - going for $2.75.
For elegant dining in a more formal atmosphere, the CELLAR at the Union Club is the place. The Cellar Restaurant is in the basement of the 110-year-old Union Club, where a German-American social group once had its own bowling alley. The Cellar offers single dishes such as roast prime ribs at $7.95 per person, on weekends $8.95. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner daily, but on weekends when a three-piece band performs for dancing, reservations are suggested.
NORBY'S Restaurant, a new dining establishment, 1106 Madison Street, is the former Lamp Post Lounge. Louis La Russo 2nd, a native son of Hoboken, conceived the Broadway Play "Lamp Post Reunion" after attending his 20th high school reunion at the Lamp Post Bar and Restaurant.
La Russo, according to the New York Times article on the playwright, described Hoboken as "the last Real European Community in America, a working class city that is riddled with history and teeming with places that make things fresh - things like smoked mozzarella cheese, bacon and rich German pastry."
THE SHANNON, located on First Street at Washington Street, has Hoboken's only outdoor cafe. Adorned with trees, plants, and an aquarium, it is a popular place for people who want to spend lazy summer afternoons or have moonlight dinners.
Several new dining establishments have opened in Hoboken recently. The HOBOKEN HOUSE on Hudson Street near Newark Street serves Italian-style, quiche and salads on small marble-top tables.
The decor is intimate and restrained. Another newcomer, HENRY YEE'S ISLANDER, on Jackson Street in the western part of Hoboken, offers Chinese-Polynesian specialties, music and dancing.
At one time Hoboken was renowned for its lively taverns along the waterfront catering to thirsty longshoremen working on the docks. With the demise of Hoboken's shipping industry, many taverns have disappeared. However, Hoboken still has its share of great pubs with their ethnic flavor and amazingly low prices. Twenty-five cent beers are commonly found in Hoboken. The character of the City's population has contributed to the wealth of taverns with a distinctive European flavor.
Note: All establishments serve cocktails except as noted,
155 - 6th Street 795-3217
Hoboken's only Indian Restaurant, All styles of Indian preparation. No liquor but welcomes your own bottle.
BIGGIE'S CLAM BAR 318 Madison Street 420-9604
Long Island clams on the half shell, corn on the cob, sausage and steak sandwiches and other tasty treats, since 1946.
615 - 1st Street (at Jackson St.)
Home-Style Italian Food.
CLAM BROTH HOUSE 38 Newark Street 659-2448
Perhaps Hoboken's best known landmark restaurant,
established 1899. Seafood and Italian Cuisine. Stand-up bar. Dinner-theatre Sundays.
215 Washington Street 659-6647
Casual, friendly atmosphere, fine food and liquors
1036 Washington Street 963-3333
Old German atmosphere with homemade specialties.
HENRY YEE'S ISLANDER 405 Jackson Street 653-0082
Chinese and Polynesian Cuisine.
19 Hudson St.
Varied menu includes delicate Italian-style dishes, quiche and salads.
LEO'S GRANDEVOUS 200 Garden Street 659-9467
Hearty Italian Cuisine.
No hot beverages.
400 Adams Street
Relaxed dining atmosphere - sandwich specialties.
NORBY'S (formerly The Lamp Post)
1106 Madison Street 659-9660
Seafood and Italian Cuisine
Sumptuous seafood smorgasbord every Monday night.
RICCO'S RISTORANTE 1024 Washington Street 798-9876
Homemade Italian food. Tasty salads.
16 Hudson Place
Relaxed dining atmosphere - homemade danish and cheesecake.
508 Washington Street 798-9657
Nice lunch and dinner place. Specialty -pancakes and waffles.
UNION CLUB (The Cellar Restaurant)
600 Hudson Street 656-0311
A Hoboken historic site. Built in 1864 as The Deutsche Club. One of the largest and most elaborate restaurants.
[line drawing: street scene]
[line drawing: facade of 300 Washington Street]
PLACES TO BUY FOOD
A world of food delights awaits the shopper interested in pleasing the palate. The city's ethnic make-up has created a variety of groceries, bakeries, and delicatessens specializing in homemade and imported goodies. There are numerous Italian grocery stores offering excellent quality Italian cheeses and wines. The shop owner may even insist on giving you his recommended recipe for lasagna.
FIORE'S HOUSE OF QUALITY DAIRY on Adams Street is extremely popular. It specializes in homemade ricotta and mozzarella, as well as a wide variety of other imported cheeses. Fiore's is also a favorite spot to pick up satisfying sandwiches and marinated salads for a special lunch. Leslie Maitland of the New York Times wrote, "Fiore's House of Quality Dairy,next door to CARLO'S was founded in 1913 and is still the place to find homemade mozzarella cheese in fresh, dried or smoked varieties, as well as a vast assortment of Italian delicacies. To accompany the cheese, visit GUSTOSO'S (a name that means tasty in Italian) for bread whose ingredients have remained a family secret for more than 60 years. Teresa Gustoso claims that it is low in calories and dispenses it - with loving attention to her customer's preferences - from her shop at 406 - 4th Street.
VAN HOLLAND is a popular deli especially with the business lunch crowd. The New York Times wrote,
"The accent is on the Dutch at the Van Holland Delicatessen and Imported Food Store. And says the owner-cook Laurens A. van der Laan, a former Holland American Line employee, his may be the only store in the state with such an accent. Dutch cooking is akin to German in thai it features all-the robust hearty meat and potato dishes. Specialties include pot roast, meat loaf, and a spiced Salisbury steak, as well as a large and tempting variety of salads (lobster, cucumber, crabmeat, shrimp, chicken, and potato among them)".
The produce that is found in the multitude of grocery and produce markets is of the finest and freshest quality. AVERSA'S, an old family run business which sells tropical fruits, refreshing melons, as well as other produce and deli treats, is a favorite shop on First Street. Street vendors still sell fresh fruits and vegetables from
wagons. They add to the color and vitality of the city, as well as to the convenience and quality of shopping.
A popular summer-time open air fruit and vegetable market is SUNNY'S FARMS, located in the northern section of Hoboken. In addition to shops and street vendors selling produce from their trucks, hawkers in the Hoboken train terminal sell fruits and vegetables at bargain prices. Each day, they sell a limited variety of farm-fresh produce. Every visit to one of the stalls in the terminal holds a new surprise.
The bakeries in Hoboken are very special indeed. Two bread bakeries, GUSTOSO'S and MARIE'S specialize exclusively in Italian bread.
Italian pastry shops, CARLO'S, CORBISIERO, and DE BARI make luscious cannoli's eclairs, assorted Italian cookies, and fancy cakes for special occasions. The New York Times said, "For Italian pastry, Carlo's Bakery on Adams Street, between Fourth and Fifth Streets, is the tempting counterpart of Schoning's having opened here more than 65 years ago. The bakery is open -- selling ricotta pies at $1.65 -- 8 A.M. to 7 P.M. Tuesday through Saturday and from 8 A.M. to 4 P.M. on Sunday, on Monday, it is closed.
SCHONING'S is more of an institution than a bakery. On Sundays, crowds of people treat their families to Schoning's crumb cakes, butter cakes, pecan rings, and rolls. Leslie Maitland of the New York Times wrote, "Schoning's Bakery, opposite City Hall on Washington Street, has been an institution since 1928, and is still run by Irma and Herman Schoning, who keep their pies and pastry rich but their prices low. You can buy a large cherry crumb cake or a fudge layer cake for $1.60. The store is open from 6 A.M. to 8:30 P.M. daily and from 8 A.M. to 2 P.M. on Sundays.
One can make a very enjoyable day of food shopping in Hoboken by exploring the many small markets. The village-like atmosphere allows one to hop from store to store for special foods. In addition to the delicatessens, produce markets, and bakeries, there are numerous butchers and fish markets through the City. And, of course, if centralized food shopping is desired, there are three supermarkets,located downtown, midtown, and uptown for convenient quick shopping. Wander through the following pages for a partial list of food markets in Hoboken.
412 Adams Street
Delightful minature pastries
353 First Street
Delicious homemade Italian cakes and pastries
DE BARI PASTRY, INC.
260 Thrid Street 659-9768
Delicious homemade goodies
GATEWAY BAKE SHOP
Erie Lackawanna Terminal
Tasty cakes, pies and pastries
GIORGIO'S FRENCH AND ITALIAN PASTRY SHOP
1112 Washington Street
Delicious cannolis, sfogliatelle and fine pastry
GUSTOSO'S ITALIAN BREAD
406 Fourth Street
Delicious homemade Italian bread
Thursday's special, wholewheat bread
261 Second Street
Unlisted phone number
Homemade Italian bread - Tuesday & Thursday's special, wholewheat bread
95 Washington Street & 262 Second Street
Delicious pies and pastries
410 2nd Street
Homemade Italian bread
FIORE HOUSE OF QUALITY DAIRY
414 Adams Street
Homemade ricotta and mozzarella (since 1913)
536 Garden Street
Homemade cheese and imported delicacies
901 Park Avenue
Italian Deli - Imported delicacies
341 Bloomfield Street
Fresh homemade salads, tasty sandwiches
315 Washington Street
Fresh homemade sandwiches, soups, and salads, also imported delicacies
APICELLA FISH MARKET
307 First Street
Suppliers of quality fish wholesale and retail (since 1906)
AVERSA'S VEGETABLE AND GROCERY MARKET
155 First Street
MAINO’S GROCERY MARKET
300 Clinton Street
MAINO'S POULTRY MARKET
311 2nd Street
Live poultry and fresh eggs
MIDTOWN LIVE POULTRY MARKET
455 5th Street
Live poultry and fresh eggs
RALPH'S VEGETABLE AND GROCERY MARKET
251 10th Street
Fresh produce - Italian delicacies
1500 Willow Avenue
Fun shopping - open air market
713 First Street
Live poultry and fresh eggs
209 Hudson Street
Spices, nuts, canned foods, handicraft imported from India
536 Bloomfield Street
Indian foods, spices and incense
Getting To And From Hoboken
Hoboken is minutes away from New York City via the PATH subway and easily accessible from many parts of northern New Jersey by ConRail Erie Lackawanna commuter lines or buses.
Air-conditioned trains make frequent runs between Hoboken and 33rd Street and the World Trade Center in Manhattan. Connections to Journal Square in Jersey City and to Newark are made by a transfer. Fare is 30c [cents]. For information, call (201) 622-6600 Ext. 7649 or (212) 466-7649.
Transport of New Jersey buses leave from Hoboken Terminal at Hudson Place every 10 to 15 minutes for Port Authority Bus Terminal in midtown Manhattan. Ticket is 75c [cents]. For information, call (201) 863-2114.
ConRail - Erie Lackawanna
Hoboken is the terminal point for many commuter rail lines serving Bergen, Essex and Morris Counties in New Jersey and Rockland County in New York. For information, call (201) 622-5686.
Newark International Airport
Take PATH trains to Newark and then Airlink Mini-Coach to airport. Coaches leave Newark Penn Station every 20 minutes. Fare for the 12 minute trip is $1.00. For information, call (201) 961-2047. Taxi and limousine services are available on Hudson Place, or call 420-1480, 659-4600, 659-0800.
Map courtesy Port Authority of N.Y. and N.J.
Getting Around In Hoboken
Hoboken is a pedestrian city. The main residential and commercial sections of Hoboken are all within walking distance. Long avenues are named; side streets are numbered, starting from City Hall. Street numbers on Washington Street and other main avenues correspond to numbered streets.
Local buses go up and down Washington Street frequently but the headway time varies. The city-run Cross Town Bus reaches the more remote residential clusters.
Operating a car in this pedestrian city has its penalties. Most curb space near the shopping areas are metered. Other streets have alternate-side-of-the-street restrictions. However, the city has 24-hour municipal garages at the Grogan Marine View Towers at $2.00 a day. This is perhaps the best parking bargain in the metropolitan area.
By way of Holland Tunnel; Follow Hoboken signs to first right turn after tunnel (Henderson Street). Continue to Henderson Street under all the railroad overpasses to Observer Highway.
By way of Lincoln Tunnel; Follow Hoboken signs to first exit on right after tunnel (Willow Avenue). Continue on Willow Avenue to Fourteenth Street.
From New Jersey Turnpike: Exit 14C leads directly to the Holland Tunnel on U.S. Route 1 & 9. Follow Hoboken signs to a left turn onto Jersey Street. Continue under all the railroad overpasses. Turn right onto Newark Street and continue to Observer Highway.
Hoboken's regional setting and relationship to the Erie Lackawanna Railroad System, PATH System, and the Penn-Central Railroad Main line tracks.
Hoboken Community Development Agency
Fred M. Bado, Director
84 Washington Street
Hoboken, New Jersey 07030
Brochure prepared for a forthcoming guide for residents and businessmen as a part of CDA's Economic Development Program,
S. Kenneth Pai, Director. Cover photo of Erie Lackawanna Railroad & Ferry Terminal by Dennis Simonetti; Our Hoboken Heritage first appeared in the Bicentennial Calendar; illustrations by Judith V. Clark; rendering of Keuffel & Esser Bldg by Beyer-Blinder-Belle, Architects; research by Barbara Oif, Kathleen Erbeck, Edward J. Sullivan; photography by Tom Crane, Caroline Redden.
Hoboken's economic development planning program is financed in part by the U.S. Economic Development Administration.
|Year Range from||1977.0|
|Year Range to||1977.0|
Business & Commerce
Government & Politics
Banking & Financial Structures
Bars / Saloons
Monuments & Statues
Tourists & Tourism