|Title||Print: The Weehawken Duelling [sic - Dueling] Ground - 1810. (Hamilton Monument) Probably issued ca. 1904-1910.|
|Collection||Hoboken 19th C. Images Collection|
|Credit||Gift of Arnold & Dora Stern, Hoboken Antiques.|
|Scope & Content||
The Weehawken Duelling [sic - Dueling] Ground - 1810. Black & white lithographic illustration formerly mounted to 2-ply matte board with printed title in separate window. Printed image: 4-5/8" x 7-5/8" wide with matte outline of sight size, 4-1/2" x 7-1/2". A printed title caption has typographic border elements suggesting this was published in an album.
The view is southeast from Weehawken with site of the Alexander Hamilton - Aaron Burr duel of July 11,1804. Beyond it are Weehawken Cove and the Hudson River. The scene depicted the monument to Alexander Hamilton erected in 1806 on the site where Hamilton fell. The marble cenotaph was surrounded by an iron fence (see notes.)
Hoboken is seen to the right beyond Weekhawken Cove: Elysian Fields, Hoboken and a building there. In general, this scene would be typical of 1806-1820.
No source or creation/publication date indicated, probably late 19th century or early 20th century. (A remnant of a newspaper leaf, Hoboken Evening News, Dec. 19, 1910, found on the reverse suggests that this item was published by that date.) Most likely issued in 1904 as part of some centennial commemoration. Artist not known plus unknown if done after a contemporary engraving.
Text as found published online in Wikipedia, June 22, 2010:
The first memorial to the duel was constructed in 1806 by the Saint Andrew Society, of which Hamilton was formerly a member. A 14 foot marble cenotaph, consisting of an obelisk topped by a flaming urn and a plaque with a quote from Horace surrounded by an iron fence, was constructed approximately where Hamilton was believed to have fallen. Duels continued to be fought at the site and the marble was slowly vandalized and removed for souvenirs, leaving nothing remaining by 1820. The memorial's plaque survived, turning up in a junk store and finding its way to the New York Historical Society in Manhattan, where it still resides.
|Year Range from||1890.0|
|Year Range to||1910.0|
Monuments & Statues