|Title||Fire map of W. & A. Fletcher Co. plant located on Hudson St. from 12th to 14th Streets, Hoboken, at the Hudson River, 1919.|
CLICK HERE to view the PDF; note - please be patient while file opens.
|Collection||W. & A. Fletcher Company Collection|
|Credit||Gift of Joseph Cangelosi.|
|Scope & Content||
Fire map of the W. & A. Fletcher Co. plant located on Hudson Street from north of Twelfth St. to Fourteenth Street, Hoboken, at the Hudson River, 1919.
This drawing differs significantly from the 1907 plan (archives 2011.025.0003); it was superseded by a 1925 version (archives 2011.025.0005); discussion below.
Full printed form sheet, 21-1/4" wide x 26" high, with site plan layout (including location of buildings not part of Fletcher - see below) and building sections with color coding of buildings and water. PDFs on file; single sheet; all images. Large tiffs media archive.
Created and issued by Plan Department of the Associated Mutual Insurance Companies, Boston, Mass.
Text at bottom center:
W. & A. Fletcher Co.
"North River Iron Wks. [Works]"
Land & Improvement Co.(Bldgs.)
Surveyed, Feb. 11, 1919. Scale 1 in. = 50 ft.
Surveyed & drawn by L.B. Love
Traced by H.J. Mann See Data File.
Additional Data from Mill May 27, 1919. Original Tracing No. 13313
Selected text from lower right corner:
Plan Department of the Associated Mutual Insurance Co's., Boston, Mass.
Serial Number. 13312. This replaces No. 7805.
Index no. 29224
Plant draw [drawing] #764.
For View (Not Revised) See Serial No. 7805.
There is no orthogonal view on this sheet. It does show the full piers and floating drydock. While the yard layout is essentially the same as the 1907 plan, several buildings had been added since then. Tracks of the Hoboken Shore Railroad service are shown passing around (Twelfth St., Hudson St.) and going into the company's yard. They were not seen on the 1907 fire map.
Only buildings that were solidly colored were covered by this insurance policy. Buildings are labeled by use and details are recorded of type, construction and materials. Other buildings shown, but not part of the policy, had only color outlines. These included several Hoboken Ferry Co. buildings at Fourteenth St.; motor vehicle co., foundry and stores.
A few buildings outside the site are indicated - on the north side of 14th St. are saloons and stores; on the west side of Hudson St. are a saloon, stores, tenement and machine shop.
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
Fletcher, a ship outfitting and repair business (also produced ship engines), was succeeded on this site by United Dry Dock, Bethlehem Steel Hoboken Shipyard and Hoboken Shipyards, Inc. The only building left that is on this drawing is the Machine Shop on the east side of Hudson Street. The entire area was redeveloped in the late 1990s and early 2000s as The Shipyard, a group of large residential buildings which included some commercial and retail spaces, restaurant, park, rehabilitated piers, ferry landing, marina plus a museum (Hoboken Historical Museum).
This sheet was from the adminstrative records of the Bethlehem Steel, Hoboken Shipyard offices.
|Year Range from||1919.0|
|Year Range to||1919.0|
Hoboken Ferry Company
Hoboken Land & Improvement Company
Hoboken Shore Railroad
North River Iron Works
United Dry Dock Company
W. & A. Fletcher
|Caption||full sheet 1919 Fletcher fire map|
Bars / Saloons
Business & Commerce