|Title||Hoboken Historical Museum Newsletter [First Series], Volume 2, No. 17, June 14, 1988.|
|Collection||Hoboken Historical Museum Archives|
Hoboken Historical Museum Newsletter [First Series], Volume 2, No. 17, June 14, 1988. Pamphlet, 8-1/2" wide x 11" high. 4 pp., illustrated. 2 copies. PDF on file.
Article excerpted (or quoted in full is not stated) from an August 3, 1928 article in the Hudson Dispatch. Illustrations include a 1908 advertisement.
First motion picture theatre in Hoboken, The Hippodrome, 420 Washington St. (Vacant as of publication date, it had previously been Maritime Hardware. Prior to Maritime, it was B & D Bargain Store. In the 1930's and 1940's, it was the Alberta Market.) which opened in 1903. Proprietor was a Mrs. Van der Heyden (or Vanderheyden), later in association with Frank Daley, whom she married (Daley died in 1928). Recounts some events of the 1905 Semi-Centennial of the City of Hoboken.
Mentions Joseph Hornstein, later a Vice-President of the National Theatre Supply Company which f urnished the motion picture equipment for the Fabian Theatre, was the camera operator for the Hippodrome. Blind pianist who accompanied some films was Mike Gorman of Hoboken.
Museum news and activities including fundraising and items donated.
|Publisher||Hoboken Historical Museum|
|Published Place||Hoboken, NJ|
Hippodrome (motion picture theater)
420 Washington St.
Odd Fellows Hall
|Year Range from||1988|
Van der Heyden, Mrs.
Social & Personal Activity
Parades & Pageants
Business & Commerce