|Title||B+W photocopy of composite photo of demolition of old Pier 14, Hoboken, ca. August, 1943.|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Bethlehem Steel Company, Hoboken Shipyard Archive|
|Credit||Gift of Richard Coppinger|
B+W photocopy of composite photo of demolition of old Pier 14, Hoboken, ca. August, 1943. 8-1/2" x 10" leaf. Reverse is blank. Source of original images not indicated.
It is two different photos joined along a line right of center.The view is generally looking east from probably the top of a former W. A. Fletcher building (under renovation to become the main office for the Bethlehem Steel Shipyard) and with Sabino's Texaco gas station (east of that building) at the bottom of both images. (cf. photo catalog 2003.025.0008.)
The left image is looking northeast and shows Piers 14 and 15 of the Lamport & Holt Lines. (It would appear masking was applied to the original image to cover the names of ships for World War II security needs.) Where the two images meet was the site of the recently demolished Fourteenth Street Ferry Terminal. A new pier no. 4 for two new dry docks under ownership of the U.S. Navy would be built where the ferry slip was located. Pier 14 would be replaced as a new Bethlehem Steel Shipyard pier.
The right image is looking southeast and shows the Plate Shop. Dated in image. Directional arrow indicates north plus the notation: NObs 63.
|Year Range from||1943|
|Year Range to||1943|
W. & A. Fletcher
Sabino's Garage(Texaco Gas Station)
Lamport & Holt
Business & Commerce