Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title B+W photo of Maxwell House Coffee plant employees getting first aid on street after exposure to gas fumes, Hoboken, May 8, 1957.
Object Name Print, Photographic
Catalog Number 2013.001.0047
Collection Maxwell House Coffee, Hoboken Division, Collection
Credit Museum Collections.
Description Black-and-white photo of Maxwell House Coffee plant employees being administered to on street after exposure to fumes, Hoboken, May 8, 1957.

7" x 9" wide print with integral caption (see below). Photograph taken by United Press Associations; reverse with credit stamp; reference file stamp of N.E.A. [Newspaper Editors Association]

There is a large number of people in the background. Five seated workers (three women and two men) in the foreground are being given first aid including wearing oxygen masks. None have been identified. Unstated is what gas that the employees were exposed to, but newspapers reported it as chlorine.

Text at top:
===

NWK1131146 - 5/8/57 - HOBOKEN, N.J.: Employes stricken by fumes are given oxygen outside the Maxwell House coffee plant 5/8 after 28 were overcome when a leaking cleaning solvent from tank spread non-poisonous fumes throughtout the structure. Ambulances took 13 workers -- one in critical condition -- to hospitals. At least 15 others were treated at the plant dispensary. UNITED PRESS TELELPHOTO =fpc=
Photographer United Press International (UPI)
Place Hoboken
Date 1957
Year Range from 1957
Year Range to 1957
Search Terms Maxwell House Coffee plant
Orig/copy Original
Caption image
Imagefile 233\20130010047.TIF
Classification Factories
Exteriors
Disasters
Business & Commerce
Hospitals