|Title||Button hook, advertising: Fischer's Shoe Bazaar, 210-212 First St., Hoboken, N.J. N.d., ca. 1903-1915.|
|Collection||Hoboken Commerce Collection|
|Credit||Museum Collections. Gift of a Friend of the Museum.|
Folding button hook: Fischer's Shoe Bazaar, 210-212 First St., Hoboken, N.J. No date, ca. 1903-1915. Stamped and formed metal, with stamped lettering both sides and on hook shaft; case 9/16" high tapering to 3/8" x 5/32" thick with fold-out buttonhook to overall width of 3-3/8". When button hook is folded into case, the hook forms a ring for attachment.
Fischer's was known earlier as H. Fischer & Son, Shoe Bazaar. A promotional or advertising novelty, providing a service to registered customers. The item could be used for shoe or glove buttons which were typical in the era.
Side 1 is lettered as above.
lettering starts on the edge thickness:
Snap on your key ring
lettering on side 2 face:
Owners name & this number
registered at [refering to the Fischer store name on the other side.]
The hook shaft has two patent dates on it, a different one on each side.
Side 1: Pat'd Nov. 27. '83
Side 2: Pat'd Apl 14, '03
See notes for details.
|Year Range from||1903|
|Year Range to||1915|
Fischer's Shoe Bazaar
210 First St.
212 First St.
H. Fischer & Son
U.S. Patent 289,212 issued to F.B. Bracking, Nov. 27, 1883; Button and glove hook
U.S. Patent 725, 166 issued to John L. Somer, Newark, N.J., April 14, 1903: Button-hook
Business & Commerce