Signs, 6, & sign-making kit from Schnackenberg's Luncheonette, 1110 Washington St., Hoboken, N.J. N.d., ca. 1950-2012.
|Object Name||Sign, Informational|
|Collection||Hoboken Bar & Restaurant Memorabilia Collection|
|Credit||Gift of Eugene & Joyce Flinn.|
Signs, six, and sign-making kit from Schnackenberg's Luncheonette, 1110 Washington St., Hoboken, N.J. No date, circa 1950-2012.
A vinyl cling lettering set: Magic Master Interchangeable Sign Kit. Manufactured by by Joseph Struhl Company, 195 Atlantic Ave., New Hyde Park, Long Island, N.Y. Original printed woodgrain clamshell box with some of the original contents present. Date of manufacture estimated to be circa 1950s. Printed leaf enclosed: Instructions.
Established in 1931, the shop made candies for store stock of many kinds along with fancy molded chocolate items, some which were seasonal offerings. The signage here would have been used in the candy display cases or on wall mirrors that were at the right front when entering the shop.
With six sheets made with plastic sheets using letters and numbers in the kit:
1. Home Made Chocolate Turkeys 4_ [cent sign] & up 9-3/4" high x 12-1/2" wide.
2. Home Made Chocolate Santas 10" high x 12-1/2" wide.
3. Home Made Coconut Bars 35 [cent sign] Each 5" high x 16-1/2" wide.
4. Home - Made Chocolate. 5" high (+ blue vinyl tape) x 16-1/2" wide; left end irregularly trimmed.
5. Home - Made Hard - Candy. 5" high x 16-1/2" wide.
6. Marzipan Bars 1-3/4" high x 12-3/4" wide.
|Year Range from||1950.0|
|Year Range to||2012.0|
1110 Washington St.
|Caption||Box exterior: Magic Master Interchangeable Sign Kit.|
|Notes||These items were in use at the restaurant from circa the 1950s until it closed under the original ownership in September of 2012 (it was renovated by new operators and re-opened under the same name in 2014; the candy making tradition of the shop continued, but with updated signage.)|