|Title||Button: "K. & E. Co." N.p. (probably N.Y. or Hoboken), n.d., ca. 1890s-1940.|
|Collection||Hoboken Manufactured Products Collection|
|Credit||Museum Collections. Gift of a friend of the Museum.|
Button: "K. & E. Co." No place (probably New York or Hoboken), no date, circa 1890s-1940. White paper with clear covering on metal button; 7/8" diameter; wire pin missing. No maker's mark. While one of the two locations mentioned are likely, K&E had branch offices in other cities as well as authorized retailers, etc., which makes for a very wide range of possible places it could have been made or used.
Keuffle & Esser Co. had factories in Hoboken from 1875 to 1968; general offices moved from New York to Hoboken in 1907. Where this button was used and for what purpose is not indicated.
Also, when this pin was made is unknown, but it could be from a rather wide date range from 1890s to 1940s. Without the usual printed paper insert in back with maker's name or patent dates (such as Whitehead and Hoag of Newark whose product has turned up repeatedly in regards to Hoboken buttons), it is difficult to narrow the range.
|Year Range from||1895|
|Year Range to||1940|
K & E
Keuffel & Esser Co.
|Caption||Keuffel & Esser Co.|
Business & Commerce