|Title||Stonework: 4 stones from original portal entrance, Sybil's Cave, Hoboken, no date, ca. 1830s.|
|Object Name||Stone, Building|
|Other Name||Stone, Worked|
|Collection||Hoboken Buildings & Real Estate Collection|
Four pieces of worked serpentine stone originally part of the exterior portal of Sybil's Cave, Frank Sinatra Drive, Hoboken. Created ca. 1830s.
Point on Sinatra Drive is approximately the point where Eighth St. would meet the Hudson River if it could extend to the shore line of the river.
No knowledge of designer, fabricator or stoneworker is known. Reputedly designed by a member of the Stevens family on whose property the cave site was located; they were the developers of River Walk of which the cave was an attraction. Source where original stone was quarried is not known.
|Year Range from||1832|
|Year Range to||1836|
Frank Sinatra Drive
|Caption||general view of 3 stones|
|Notes||Recovered from site in 2008 when the cave was 'rediscovered' and re-opened by the clearing of debris fill and rockfall that had accumulated since the 1950s.|