Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Cup & saucer, commemorative: Trinity Church, Hoboken, N.J. N.d., either 1903, 1906, 1928 or 1931.
Object Name Cup & Saucer
Catalog Number 2010.004.0007
Collection Hoboken Churches & Religion Collection
Credit Museum Collections.
Description Commemorative cup & saucer: Trinity Church, Hoboken, N.J. No date, either 1903,1906,1928 or 1931.Wedgwood "Old Blue" historical pattern. Blue transferware bone china. Cup: 2-1/2" high x 3-1/2" diameter; saucer 5-5/8" diameter. Made by Wedgwood, Eturia, England; Sole Importer, Jones, McDuffee & Stratton, Inc, Boston.

The church exterior along with the rectory at Seventh and Washington Streets is seen on both sides of the cup as well as the saucer. Both are marked as titled above on the base. See notes about other marks and discussion of date codes and possible dates.

Considered as a commemorative or souvenir item and not as part of a larger china service.

The example here has several defects in the transfer; red spot in the cup glaze; blue finger smudges on saucer bottom.
Date 1903-1931
Year Range from 1923
Year Range to 1931
Search Terms Trinity Episcopal Church
Seventh St.
Washington St.
701 Washington St.
Caption cup and saucer set
Imagefile 073\20100040007.JPG
Notes Marked only on the saucer is the embossed "Wedgwood" name in straight line and serif letters. Embossed code marks below Wedgwood are only partially legible. These marks are a date code and if deciphered, the month and year can be determined. At present it appears to be two 'M's and a '3' or two 'W's and an '8'. These marks on two lines.

Other marks common to both pieces:

In blue:

Circular blue mark for Jones, McDuffee & Stratton Co.
Trinity Episcopal Church celebrated two different, but significant anniversaries only three years apart. At this time it has not been determined which date this item was likely created for:

1893: 40th anniversary of church founding
1896: 40th anniversary of opening of church building
1903: 50th anniversary of church founding
1906: 50th anniversary of opening of church building
1928: 75th anniversary of church founding
1931: 75th anniversary of opening of building
Classification Church
Church Exterior