|Title||Enameled metal street sign, "BLOOMFIELD ST", Hoboken.|
|Collection||Hoboken Buildings & Real Estate Collection|
Enameled street sign, "BLOOMFIELD ST", once on Saint John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, northwest corner of Third and Bloomfield Streets, Hoboken, no date, ca. 1920's. Metal, 5-5/8" high x 20-3/8" wide. Fired ceramic royal blue background with white letters on one side only. Mounting hole centered on each end and on the long dimension, top and bottom. Condition is only fair with heavy weathering, chipping and construction spatter.
Note made in marking pen on the back: Building built 1852, Lutheran Church, Removed from the Building Fall of 1986.
This item was attached to the sides of buildings at the street corners; it was not attached to poles. A 1926 article (archives 2008.012.0038) about Hoboken Chamber of Commerce studies and programs, these street signs are discussed. It would appear that there were put in place circa 1921-1925.
|Year Range from||1920|
|Year Range to||1925|
Saint John's Lutheran Church
|Notes||In some published materials related to this donor, his name is mispelled as Hull.|